šŸŽ‰šŸŽ‰šŸŽ‰ New Product Release! Updated Training Plans, Workout Levels, TrainNow Updates šŸŽ‰šŸŽ‰šŸŽ‰

In running Iā€™ve seen many people getting faster by just running an piling miles.

There is an argument to be made about training while tired. If you are pushing hard non stop all the time it could lead to not training at the optimal levelā€¦

Iā€™m not scientist, so i have no clueā€¦ But to me it seems that just because something is harder it not necessarily means itā€™s better at making you betterā€¦

Hey all,

Iā€™m sorry for not being more active in here today! Please watch the short video below for more info and the FAQ below.

We messed up on not giving you more context and information on Workout Levels and the Updated Plans. Weā€™re committed to getting to that to you and it is our primary focus moving forward. Stay tuned for more!

Workout Levels FAQ

What are Workout Levels?

Workout levels are a new metric in TrainerRoad that compares the relative difficulty of workouts within each energy system and training zone.

They range from 1 to 10 with some workouts even exceeding a level 10, with 1 representing an easy workout. Thus, a Level 6 Threshold workout is significantly harder than a Level 3 Threshold workout, but not as challenging as a Level 9 threshold workout.

How did you come up with them?

We leveraged the analysis made possible by our Machine Learning algorithms and the insights we have gained with Adaptive Training to accurately quantify the difficulty of any workout.

The result is a very accurate representation of workout difficulty that takes into account details such as interval repetition, interval length, interval format, recovery time and more.

How are these different from my individual Progression Levels Iā€™ve seen in the Adaptive Training previews?

Your individual Progression Levels are a representation of your capabilities within the context of Workout Levels, and those are not yet ready for production.

Workout Levels are simply ML-driven quantifications of the relative difficulty of a workout, and those are what you now see for every workout.

Are Workout Levels comparable from one Zone to another?

No. Workout Levels are classified in two ways: (1) Zone (2) Workout Profile.

An example of Zones would be Endurance, Tempo, Sweet Spot, Threshold, VO2 Max, Anaerobic, Sprint.

Each Zone has various different Workout Profiles within it. Workout Profiles represent the interval structure of the workout. For example, the VO2 Max Zone has On-Offs, Float Sets, Sustained Intervals, Traditional, Attacks and more.

Workout Levels within a specific Zone and Workout Profile can be directly compared, while Workout Levels within a specific Zone but different Workout Profiles can only be loosely compared. Workout Levels between workouts of different Zones cannot be compared.

For example, a Threshold Level 4.0 and an Endurance 4.0 are not going to have the same RPE.

What is the max level?

There is no max level, but most workouts will fall within Workout Levels 1-10. If you are completing workouts above Workout Level 10, you are likely to gain more from reassessing and starting a new training plan at a higher FTP and lower Workout Levels.

How do I know how hard a workout is with these Workout Levels?

This understanding will come quickly as you train with Workout Levels.

For context, most athletes are able to complete a Level 3 workout regardless of where theyā€™re at in their training, while significantly fewer athletes tend to successfully complete a Level 8 workout unless their training has properly progressed them to that point.

Are Workout Levels personalized to each athlete?

No. Workout Levels are assigned to a specific workout based on itā€™s difficulty, and is done regardless of an athleteā€™s abilities.

Individual Progression Levels, an upcoming and currently unreleased feature, is what will be unique to each athlete.

Why are some workouts missing levels?

There are still some workouts missing Workout Levels that weā€™re working on fixing. If you find any instances of this, please share it with our Customer Support team at Support@TrainerRoad.com

Will my custom workouts have Workout Levels?

Yes, all TrainerRoad workouts and custom workouts should have Workout Levels assigned to them, but at this point we canā€™t endorse the Workout Levels of custom workouts.

As of now, Workout Levels are calculated uniquely for custom workouts and are not comparable to the Workout Levels of workouts in the TrainerRoad workout library.

Will Outside Workouts have Workout Levels?

Yes. Every workout in the TrainerRoad workout library will have Workout Levels assigned to them.

What is a reasonable progression rate with these Workout Levels?

Based on the data we have, anything within a 0.3-0.7 weekly progression in Workout Levels for a given Zone is considered achievable, productive and sustainable.

This doesnā€™t mean that an athlete couldnā€™t experience a 1, 2, or even 3 level increase in Workout Level from one week to the next, but these larger jumps are not likely to lead to productive and sustainable gains over time.

While there will be some individual variance between Workout Profiles and Zones for individual athletes, this progression is a data-backed approach that will yield performance gains.

How should I use this in conjunction with TSS and IF?

TSS, IF, Duration, and kJ(cal) are crucial metrics for understanding the impact of each workout, but none of them tells the full story.

For instance, long, slow rides can have the same TSS and kJ(cal) as short, more intense ones. Also, two workouts of the same length and IF may have vastly different work/recovery structures, making it hard to compare the experience of one to the other.

Workout Levels take all these factors into account in one easily understandable metric.

Updated Plans FAQ

Why did you update the plans?

We are committed to constantly improving our training plans as we get more data and insight into how to make you faster.

Our progress so far with Adaptive Training and our Machine Learning Algorithms has allowed us to quantify workout difficulty with more precision than ever before, allowing us to create training plans that still accomplished the same objectives, but did so in an optimized way.

While this is a comprehensive update, we will continue to make improvements over time as we gain further insight.

What changes did you make to the plans?

Our goal was to use the data we have gotten about workout completion and ramp rates to optimize the plans. This meant the main focal points were to optimize the progression of different Zones within each plan, and to adjust their beginning and end points in order to accomplish the unique goals of each plan and do so in a way that increases your odds of sustainable and strong performance improvement.

In actuality, this meant a very different approach that merited rebuilding the plans from scratch while still adhering to the original goals of the plans. As such, we created 641 new workouts to satisfy these progressions and goals. Nearly every workout in every plan has been changed through either being swapped out with a different workout or being shuffled to a different point within the plan.

Do these new plans Adapt to me?

No, these plans are not adaptive, just like the previous plans. This update to our training plans uses insights weā€™ve gained from the Adaptive Training Beta, but it is not Adaptive Training.

Why do the plans start at Levels 3-5?

Levels 3-5 (roughly) are an ideal starting point for athletes starting a new plan with an FTP assessment. This was discovered after analyzing completion rates at scale in great detail, looking for what delivers sustainable and strong improvement in performance throughout a training plan.

Why do the plans progress the way they do?

Based on the data we have, anything within a 0.3-0.7 weekly progression in Workout Levels for a given Zone is considered achievable, productive and sustainable.

This doesnā€™t mean that an athlete couldnā€™t experience a 1, 2, or even 3 level increase in Workout Level from one week to the next, but as those Workout Level increases get larger, and particularly when they are being accomplished in parallel with other high intensity Zones, they become less likely to lead to productive and sustainable gains over time.

While there will be some individual variance between Workout Profiles and Zones for individual athletes, this progression is a data-backed approach that will yield performance gains.

The new plans are lower in TSS than the previous plans ā€“ why is this?

Using TSS as the main guiding metric in training plan construction can lead to a non-progressive ramp rate in how each energy system is trained. The result is commonly a plan that looks like it ramps consistently in terms of TSS, but is far from a consistent ramp in how it trains energy systems, causing non-productive lulls in training productivity and excessively hard workouts that can halt training progression.

In short, TSS is a vague metric that doesnā€™t take into account the unique demands of different types of training.

Since our focus is to make you a faster cyclist, we focus on training the energy systems that matter most to your goals. Using Workout Levels to build plans guarantees sustainable and productive ramp rates that are uniquely adjusted for each energy system and the goals of the plan.

Why did you make these new plans easier/harder? How will this better prepare me for my discipline?

In the spirit of constant improvement, our goal with these plans was to make them even more effective at making you a faster cyclist, not to make them easier or harder.

There is a temptation to assume that harder training will always yield better results, but our data shows that high quality training yields better results, and ā€œhigh-qualityā€ is analogous with consistency and progression.

The start points, ramp rates, end points, rest weeks and tapers of these plans are all designed to put you in the best position to improve your performance as an athlete.

The rest weeks and tapers look a lot easier. Why did you change that?

A more optimized and consistent ramp rate increases importance of the Load:Deload balance of work and rest weeks. As such, we took a measured and conscious approach to reduce load during rest weeks and taper weeks in particular.

These changes will better prepare you to be consistent with your training throughout loading phases and better prepare you for peak performance on race day.

Why should I follow these new plans?

You should follow these new plans if you want a more optimized and data-driven approach to reaching your goals. Not to say you wonā€™t reach your goals following the previous plans, but following the new ones will increase your chances of success in reaching your goals.

Can I still follow the old plan thatā€™s on my calendar?

Absolutely. You donā€™t have to change your current training block and can finish it out to avoid manually swapping out workouts. That said, we do recommend using these updated plans as soon as youā€™re able.

Iā€™m almost done with my current plan ā€“ should I update to the new plans?

If you are in the middle of a training block and switch to these updated plans, you may notice a decrease or increase in Workout Levels compared to what you have been doing.

If this is the case, our recommendation is to substitute the workouts that remain in your current training block for workouts with Workout Levels within .5 of what you have been doing recently.

Once you finish your current training block, youā€™ll start with a Ramp Test with the new updated plans and the workouts will once again be calibrated to your fitness.

How do I update my Plan Builder Plan to get the new plans?

The easiest way is to update your current training block through the Calendar on TrainerRoad.com. To do this, go to the start date of your current training block, click the calendar annotation with the name of your current training block, then click ā€œUpdate Planā€.

If you have any questions on this, feel free to reach out to Support@TrainerRoad.com

What happened to the weekly tips?

We are planning to remove the weekly tips as we get closer to launching Adaptive Training. Since Adaptive Training will frequently adjust workouts in each week of a training plan, the current weekly tips will no longer apply.

When will we get updated triathlon plans?

This round of updates includes the bike portion of the triathlon plans, but not the run and swim portions of the plans.

This update was driven by the data and insights we have gained from Adaptive Training and our Machine Learning algorithms, which at this point are being applied to cycling-specific training only.

Consistent with our theme of constant improvement, we do anticipate updating other aspects of our triathlon training plans, but we have not ETA for this at the moment.

My plan disappeared after selecting an update ā€“ how can I get it back?

Please reach out to our Customer Support Team at Support@TrainerRoad.com ā€“ theyā€™ll be able to get things sorted for you.

Iā€™m getting a ā€œSomething went wrong. There was an issue updating your plan.ā€ error ā€“ how can I fix this?

1. This is a good one for our Support Team too. Support@TrainerRoad.com.
32 Likes

The same can be said about easier too. Thatā€™s the whole point of using data.

It is already acknowledged that everyoneā€™s levels are unique, so why would it be a good idea to start each of these plans at a hard coded level?

Funny guy back againā€¦my N=4 comment is specifically based at the results they have shared with us, for those thst have access to AT. Applying ML to the training plans, which was done yesterday for users without access to the beta AT plan doesnā€™t help. When I signed up last year, it wasnā€™t for AT (as far as I knew it wasnā€™t even being thought about), I evaluated several options and landed with TR, based on the community of like-minded (occasionally prone to disagreement), data driven folks on the TR side as well as the user/athletes. It was after reviewing data, not drinking the kool-aid. The TR team (contrary to some opinions in this thread) are not divine beings. I signed up for a training plan, not a religion. Nate, Chad, Pete, and Jonathan, are not my religious leaders, and should be able to defend (in the doctoral dissertation sense) why this is better for me, and not just the entire population. I question these changes, and want proof. Simply being told ā€œit is betterā€ isnā€™t proof. That would be bordering on ignorance. TR has lots of successful stories of athletes (many of which were able to weather the HV plans), but I havenā€™t heard of any actual success with the beta AT plans of yet. The TR folks donā€™t need you to defend the changes, they are better suited to it. And again, I am attacking the idea, not any person. Perhaps thebTR team can share with us a progression over time for the percentage of users who are in the beta program, so we as subscribing athletes can guesstimate when we will all be inā€¦Since they wonā€™t tell us numbers (subscribers, etc.), or any sort of projected target date.

2 Likes

I understand the reason behind this, but have two concerns:

1. It is/was nice to see the weekly tips in order to better understand the basic direction and goals of a given week, if not also for the demands and/or reasons each workout is in the week.

• It might be nice to have a brief summary of the week goals even if it lacks the specificity of the workouts since they will be almost entirely individual once AT is in full effect.
    • It may end up that the actual workouts and their individual workout summary info (assuming that will be maintained in the future) will be sufficient and weekly info can be ditched in that light.
  2. I and many others currently use the Weekly Tips for finding and substituting the default Sunday Sweet Spot workout with the longer Endurance workout option that was once the actual default workout.

• Is there a plan to offer this info or option in some way once the Weekly tips are gone?
    • Or is this going to need us to review the SS default and estimate and appropriate substitution (likely based upon TSS and kJ like it seems with many of the current options)?
15 Likes

Great feedback! We donā€™t want to get rid of the concept of Weekly Tips for good even though they are going away for now, but we have some ideas that fall in line with the objectives you outlined above. :+1:

5 Likes

I totally get this point. However, I just donā€™t have time to pile on tons of miles. I do low volume and do add one endurance ride a week (plus I currently exchange the long ride for a 4 hour endurance ride. ) This has been very sustainable for me. My ftp is climbing rapidly, and suddenly going easy seems crazy.

1 Like

Just wondering. Did you use the old plans prior to having any data from TR? Is there statistics and data somewhere on them that you were able to use before signing up?

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been loving it so far on beta. I can actually accomplish the VO2 workouts (something I could not do on the static plans) and Iā€™ve never had better repeatable anaerobic power than I do now. I have been able to do metric centuries at power targets that a year or two ago would have been either my FTP or Sweetspot. In my experience, the outcomes have been demonstrably positive and Iā€™m willing to bet Iā€™m not in the minority on that.

Thereā€™s certainly more work that needs to be done to make it production ready, but the broad strokes are working well and Iā€™m seeing gains and improvements that werenā€™t happening with the static plans, particularly in the build and specialty phases. Not to mention the progression is more comfortable and sustainable so far.

5 Likes

That is encouraging to hear. Logically, I think it will work, I am just not part of the beta group (which sounds like whining, sorry). Since starting TR HV, I havenā€™t failed a workout, and the VO2 work I am usually increasing the effort percentage. I think I have this week and next week modified enough to survive and still work hard in my build block. Keep up the gains!

1 Like

Iā€™ve got news for you. You are not going to get personalized plans just for you, with full explanations, unless you go with a personal coach. End of story.

The old TR plans were not personalized for you specifically before. Why is that suddenly a problem?

TR is working their way to fully personalized plans, minus the dissertation, with AT. No, you donā€™t have it yet, but these modified plans are based on learning that it sounds like will apply to EVERYONE once they do fully launch AT. That learning is that the old plans were too aggressive in ramping up intensity and/or too stingy on recovery.

Just because you have had some success with the old plans doesnā€™t mean that you wouldnā€™t have more success with the new ones. You canā€™t prove that until youā€™ve tried them.

You can voice your dissent, but thereā€™s no need to accuse people of being blind followers for having some trust in TR and not being prejudiced against the new plans.

If you donā€™t trust TR, then either use the workouts to build your own plans or leave. I donā€™t think TR is changing direction at this point, tweaking certainly, but not going backwards.

6 Likes

@Nate_Pearson @Jonathan
Is it possible to get a breakdown of demo and cyclist types (Short,Sus,Tri) that are in the AT beta now?

Also can you guys touch on who the ā€œTri Coachā€ is? I know Nate competed in them, and I enjoy the current run workouts seen growth in both cycling/run but it would just be good to know who is in charge of the methodology when it comes to multi sport.

1 Like

Thatā€™s a great question, and a definite weakness in my argument for the old plans that Iā€™m still trying to reconcile. Letā€™s see if I can try to put my thoughts into words hereā€¦

The straightforward answer: noā€”I did not have any information or data about the efficacy of the old plans prior to signing up for TR.

Aside from reading a lot of user testimonials and combing through existing usersā€™ progressions on the forum, I didnā€™t have any actual data or statistics to suggest that TR plans were the best option out there. But, at the same time, I also didnā€™t have anything to compare that experience toā€¦ TR has been my first and only foray into structured cycling training, and I really knew nothing about structured cycling training beforehand.

I imagine that this is what a new TR user might experience if they signed up todayā€”without any knowledge of the previous plans (since theyā€™ve been removed from the customer-facing UX), theyā€™d just accept that the plans available to them are the best alternative.

But, as an existing user, Iā€™ve now been fortunate enough to see awesome gains with the old plans. They are something that I know works for me (although I recognize that they can definitely be aggressive for some individuals). In general, itā€™s hard to convince someone to make changes to their routine. But itā€™s that much harder to convince someone to change what theyā€™re doing when itā€™s been workingā€¦

Now, Iā€™m in a situation where either I go with what Iā€™m confident works (the old plans) or I switch over to something unproven that might, in a worst case scenario, slow down my training progress. And honestly, I have no problem making that switchā€”but only if I can see some data to reassure me that the switch wouldnā€™t be counterproductive.

Until now, weā€™ve heard a lot of claims like ā€œweā€™re confident these new plans will improve your performance more than the old plansā€. And I sincerely hope they doā€¦ but itā€™d be nice to see some data (since the TR team certainly used data to drive the decision and make these claims) before I am sufficiently convinced to make the switch.

I donā€™t know if that explanation does my argument any justiceā€¦ Iā€™ve been reading TR forum posts all day and my mind has turned to mush. :upside_down_face: But hopefully it provides some insight into my hesitations!

3 Likes

Chad is our head Coach and has designed the tri plans.

Regarding demo info on athletes in the Beta, I can see if we can pull that but no promises.

5 Likes

Weā€™ll be producing more educational content and sharing data over the next few weeks, as I noted in my post above, that will hopefully give you the context and additional info you need to have confidence in the plans. :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks @Jonathan! I appreciate your transparency and willingness to engage with the community while these changes are implemented. Itā€™s always reassuring to see that youā€™re out here reviewing our thoughts and feedback. Iā€™m looking forward to tomorrowā€™s podcast, and will be keeping my eyes peeled for the relevant upcoming content. :slight_smile:

You knowā€”maybe if you guys didnā€™t make the platform so effective to begin with, then itā€™d be easier to convince us all to make the switch to the new plans! :joy:

1 Like

Thanks Jonathan.

I know I have said lots of critical things in this thread about the new rollout but I want to let everyone at TR including @IvyAudrain @Nate_Pearson even non TR employee @mcneese.chad that I do appreciate everything you guys do. Not all roads are fresh smooth asphalt.

10 Likes

Thanks for putting this together. Not for the first time, TR have stepped up their communication after the event. I think this aspect needs much better planning. You guys know what this forum is like, save yourselves some work and have the FAQ ready in advance next time! :wink: (its not hard to guess what people will ask)

3 Likes

Take this as an FYI for the future: as someone in the AT beta, my custom workouts are being progression level rated, and they do contribute to my progression levels. Note: Iā€™m doing these workouts on my trainer

1 Like

As a general side and as TR pushes the concepts of ā€œconsistencyā€ and ā€œcomplianceā€ harder it would be nice to understand why these are going to help me be a better cyclist?

What in all the analysis has shown that these concepts/metrics are what count?

Iā€™ll be honest, my goals are to get faster with an improved ftp and higher endurance, because thatā€™s what makes the difference in my cycling.

Compliance is not my end goal.

A somewhat flippant example, I could go to a 45 min gym spinning class 3 times a week and be compliant, but I know that wouldnā€™t let me hit my goals.

Also some failure is not bad. You learn a lot from it.

5 Likes