New Feature - TrainNow

Windows beta too.

From looking at it I’d guess it’s checking training history to suggest 3 totally different types of workouts with an appropriate TSS.

It’s not a sentient AI coach just yet, but it’s a start. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Seems a bit Sufferfest-ish.

1 Like

I asked in my OP but will call it out again…

Does anyone think this is “Thing 1” or “Thing 2” (or a setup for them)? Seems to be a step in the direction of “on-demand” recommendations based on recent training.

OTOH, if this were Thing 1 or Thing 2 it seems out of character for TR to softly release it and not say anything publicly about it for 5-6 days (assuming they mention it on this week’s podcast).

It’s in the beta right? So it’s not launched yet

1 Like

Yes that’s true. I still figured it’d get announced pretty quickly by TR, but maybe that won’t happen until it’s closer to mass release.

I’m planning to see what it throws up for me tomorrow. Starting a new plan so it would normally be a test day BUT I tested at the weekend so I have the choice of ride wide open.

1 Like

I asked for this a few months back and saw Nate gave it a thumbs up! I’m going to go ahead and take credit for an item that was certainly already in their backlog.

24 Likes

It is interesting…Can select a time for ride and you get three options, can hit refresh and get some different suggestions.

The amount of variables is quite interesting…needs to be rolled into plan builder though as I would use it to tweak some of the workout selection. I really dont do a random ride so other then me playing to see some options for the future…not sure I will really use it.

The other thought…on how to tweak…It could use a selection of rides for SS Progression, O/U progression, Vo2 progression. When I started TR I found it hard to do some rides at the start. The different threads on how to adapt to some of these workouts really helped.

Interesting… I’m on a recovery week after having just finished SSBII. It suggested both a climbing and sprint workout for me. I’m assuming it’s not linked to plan builder in that case as that wouldn’t make much sense.

Either way I know it’s still beta. Very curious to learn more about it.

1 Like

If I enter TrainNow in Sunday during MV plan, does it also suggest substitute workout which weekly tip suggests?

So this is what it suggested for me at 60 & 90 min durations. I’ll be sticking to endurance because there was some snow-shovelling TSS piled on first thing this morning!

3 Likes

Fairly certain this new tool is making fun of me. Just suggested I do a workout called ButterTub.

Sure it’s been a long winter, am a bit out of shape, last power test wasn’t so hot… but come on man!!

16 Likes

It does not. TrainNow is intended to be used when you’re not on a plan.

But you can use it to add extra volume.

18 Likes

FWIW, that workout is named after a fairly famous hill pass in the UK:

3 Likes

Might be beneficial to build on this feature and suggest an alternative Z2 workout to some SST workouts. It can help those who are unwilling to do it themselves without guidance, in order to address the burnout complaints.

For example, Eclipse (90min, 3x20s at Sweet Spot) is scheduled.

Alternative workout: Koip (150min @ Z2). Nearly the same TSS, a full hour longer in the saddle.

7 Likes

I’m sure they’re going to drop some new stuff, people have been asking. Also I feel like they just wanted to get the new app working that allows more to build off of that. Either way they have a lot of resources in the mean time that have helped me a ton. Can’t wait to see what’s next!

I think this is a bigger feature than it first appears. There will be a lot of forum users that are plan users but I wonder what percentage of the TR user base is not on a plan at any given time. This is a great way to get some structure on an ad hoc basis or cram for big events. It also works well for users that use a mix of TR and other virtual cycling platforms.

1 Like

I, for one, love the Buttertubs workout. Love it so much, I cloned it in Workout Creator and added more intervals. wheeeee !!!

3 Likes

And if you can get up it in 6 minutes in line with the TR workout you’re doing extremely well!

1 Like

I wonder if it only looks at recent TR activity or if it includes outside work? As if it looks at everything that’s perfect for summer when I’m not on plans but riding lots outside.

Maybe @IvyAudrain or @Nate_Pearson could confirm, or is there a blog soon!