New Aero Bontrager wheels - maybe new SpeedConcept?

Yeah a plastic dial caliper I got from a drug rep years ago

One thing I canā€™t really understand is that the changed the AEOLUS graphics again, so that they do not match with the 8 months old 37sā€¦

Also, this is the First proper review Iā€™ve found:

1 Like

And there is the new Speed Concept disc:

Word on the street is the non-UCI version to be released later this year (originally scheduled for Kona).

1 Like

Been looking to get a set of the pro 51.

Website says n/a.

All LBS confirm October 2021 is the very earliest these will be available for order.

:neutral_face:

Interesting timing. Maybe to coincide with new tri specific speed concept?

1 Like

@Aeroiseverything or anyone with experienceā€¦looking at either the RSL 62 TLR disc or the XXX 6 TLR disc. Really would like to go wider internally than my current 17mm DT Swiss Dicut 1100ā€™s. Nice wheels but, I feel like Iā€™m giving up some roundness for cornering as these would be my go to road train/race wheels. Anyways, Iā€™m sort of leaning towards the XXX 6 TLR with a 21 v. 23mm internal as the 23 seems a bit wide but, IDK. 23 v. 21 for a road wheel noticeable? Any further insight with the Bontrager line?

What width tires do you plan on running?

Donā€™t know much about the XXX, but the RSL test super fast, and the 51s Iā€™ve ridden were very nice and stable in the wind. The bigger width of the over rim is definitely a plus (mainly on the front wheel).
So thatā€™s be my choice.

1 Like

25ā€™s ā€¦

Then personally I would go with the XXX 6 TLR. If you wanted to use 28s, then I would lean towards the RSLs

2 Likes

A couple weeks I watched the ~1 hour launch of RSL and they are hands down better than XXX.

1 Like

If not for price, why would anyone choose the XXX6 over the RSL?

I guess because after decades of listening to any one engineering/marketing echo chamber (looking at you Cervelo S5 white paper circa 2013/14) I take a lot of this with grain of salt. But what are we to do? Bontrager publishes the data and itā€™s clear the RSL is about 6W better (aero/Crr) than the XXX. And more stable in x-winds (CFd and wind tunnel laminar flow/not real world). Knowing I can not feel nor see that it really comes down to faith in the data and how that might translate to the road is what Iā€™m always a little skeptical of. I mean when Mads Peterson was asked what his favorite aspect of the RSL was v. the XXX he said it was the noise then the speed. Seemed a little weird coming from a seasoned pro but, what do I know. Iā€™m asking anonymous people on a forum for opinions. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: :call_me_hand: :boom: :wink: As strange as that is sometimes you all are very good judges of improvement/$$. I digressā€¦

Either way, I suspect going from my DT Swiss 1100ā€™s with 17 internal and very different foil shape to anything in the Bontrager lineup would be an improvement. I just always want it to be noticeable which is my fault. A lot of these improvements are improvements but, I always seem to expect to see an immediate result on the Wahoo. It never seems to be the case. Maybe this time will be different.

editā€¦no matter the wheel a 21 or 23 vs. 17 internal Iā€™m pretty sure will be a noticeable ā€œfeelā€ at least in cornering. Also, I can reduce PSI and punctures will seal much better. Thatā€™s worth gold when 3 hours from home on a hot or cold rainy day.

1 Like

As an engineer I go by both feel and data. Reviews on feel can be just as important as data. Iā€™m still laughing at your ā€˜dead to meā€™ comment on my recent 5000 TL sidewall rip tires LOL.

Monday I PRā€™d a ~10 minute TT segment along a canal that is used for TT practice. This was on my Tarmac with Roval Rapide CLX and S-Works Turbo tires. My previous best was exactly 5 years ago today on my Domane with Enve 5.6 and GP4000II tires. Looked up wind conditions and both wind and temp were almost identical. Weight about the same.

Not a fair comparison as the bikes are different but here goes:

• 9:56 / 23.6mph / 212W on Tarmac (27 December 2021)
  • 10:49 / 21.7mph / 256W on Domane (30 December 2016)

Iā€™m not sure what it is but I feel more confident cornering on the CLX vs Tarmac with Enve. The CLX feel slightly stiffer when sprinting - because I donā€™t hear the rotors rubbing like on the Enve. The Enve had DT240s hubs and the CLX have DT 240 EXP internals but Specialized hubs with flanges that I suppose are stiffer.

Biggest issue out here is wind and front wheel twitching in 20mph gusty winds. Havenā€™t had those conditions yet, so far these CLX are on par with Enve in 15mph winds and gusts from trucks passing at 60mph.

Ok with all that said, on paper and with a couple reviews Iā€™d put the Aeolus RSL 51 in the same league as the Enve 5.6 and Rapide CLX.

Not sure any of that helps, hope you find something useful. Iā€™m seriously looking at selling my Aeolus Pro 3V and picking up the Aeolus RSL 37 for the mountains and dirt roads.

2 Likes

@WindWarrior thanks it all helps. A new twist hath developed: The RSL 62 (what I really want) I can not procure until May (maybe) but, the shop du jour has a set of Pro 51ā€™s at the shop yesterday. Need to weigh the fact that the Pro 51 is slightly shallower, 350 v 240 hubs and slightly heavier but, basically the same shape/dimensions as the RSL. I need to do some soul searching. Not super stoked on the 350 but, having ridden years on both the 350 and 240ā€™s I think maybe Iā€™m over thinking. I mean I am. But thatā€™s sort of the fun part I guess. I think the Pro 51 would out perform the DT Swiss 1100ā€™s I have nowā€¦

2 Likes

Iā€™ve been in your position many times and hope you make the decision now that you wonā€™t regret laterā€¦

IF (intentionally capitalized) you want the wheels that come in in May, Iā€™d suggest waiting. You might find them elsewhere earlier, or get them earlier.

Iā€™d hate for you to jump on the 51s when you would likely be ā€œsettlingā€ on them. Will you be ok with that, or wish you waited when May rolls around?

Perhaps I missed this part, but are the wheels for a roadie or TT/Tri?

1 Like

I canā€™t argue with any of thatā€¦These will be my one and only road set.

After looking at the Bontrager video about the new RSLs they seem like the logical choice over the XXX. But I didnā€™t realize the Pro was so similar except hubs and perhaps layup. Between the two I suspect not much could be teased out on the road. I could be wrong but jmo. While I prefer a 60 over a 50 thatā€™s not a deal breaker.

Decided to buy the Aeolus Pro 51ā€™s. The two main differences are carbon and hubs. Does that make the wheel slower? Who knows? But, at nearly half the price and no availability until May/June (backorder) for the RSL I am happy with my decision. Differences:

1. Hubs: The main difference between 350 and 240ā€™s are the 240ā€™s are machined more to save weight. Secondly, the new 240ā€™s are the EXP version (one ratchet is fixed so fewer parts). Lastly, the 240ā€™s have more teeth on the ratchets (36 v 18). You can upgrade the 350ā€™s which is what I did by swapping my old 240 ratchets into the new hubs or buy an upgrade.

2. Rims: Same profiles/shapes (23mm inner/31mm outer). What differentiates the RSL and Pro is the slightly heavier OCLV Pro grade carbon used for the Pros.

3. Spokes: Both DT Swiss Aerolite. Both 24 per rim. Both DT pro lock nips.

4. Weight: Pros=1595g. RSLs=1410g.

5 Likes

They look good. I didnā€™t realize they were half the cost. I would have done the same thing. I donā€™t know or understand the ratchet part, what is it? Iā€™ve seen it a few times when looking at wheels. Itā€™s new to me.

1 Like

These days the best wheels are often a trade off of availability vs awesomeness. Would love to go weight weenie and hub bling with the Terra CLX or RSL 37V, but my Pro 3V are pretty fantastic for the price! Iā€™d give the Pro 3V a solid 7 maybe 8 on the awesomeness scale.

2 Likes