NEED HELP connecting devices to TR

I need your help. I am new to cycling and started doing tri’s.
I have my indoor bike and my partners. We share a kickr snap power meter.
Each one of our bikes has its own Garmin cadence/speed sensor.
Currently we have our own accounts with trainer road.
Also, we have our own Garmin 935 watches.

What we need is a way to connect it all and show output in trainer road.
Ideally we want to bike on Trainer road on the ipad and see the power, cadence and heart rate all displayed.
Previously, I was using a North Pole Engineering CABLE ANT+ sensor to connect all of the above, but not heart rate. Something to do with it could not handle all the connections.

Anyway, that is my goal, for her to be able to do this and me.
If ANYONE has advice, I am open if need be to purchasing some piece of supplemental equipment to allow this to happen.
Thank you for your time.

1 Like

So there are at least two or three different products that will receive and rebroadcast your ANT signal as Bluetooth, which should solve your problem without replacing your whole infrastructure. 4iii and Wahoo both do this with HRMs, and I think there are other companies as well. I will reply again in a few minutes when I look up the specifics.

Hey there Andrew!

All you should need is an adapter or two and you should be good to go! You can even get your heart rate to broadcast from your watch to the iPad so that you can see it in TrainerRoad!

The article below will have links to the adapters you will need. These will enable the iPad to send and receive ANT+ signals so that your Garmin devices can be used. You will also be able to pair your Kickr Snap via ANT+ or Bluetooth. If you just scroll to the “Help with iOS” section and click the links, you can get them right there:

As for how to broadcast heart rate from your watch, here’s how to go about that:

https://www8.garmin.com/manuals/webhelp/forerunner935/EN-US/GUID-D8D363C2-0690-48D4-95E2-A3557E7D53C2.html

Once it is in broadcast mode, it will show up in the devices section of the app so that you can pair it. :slight_smile:

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

Sweet, that is a timely and useful response. :wink:

1 Like

What I believe you are talking about is what we call a bridging device. Many of these “bridging” devices will not work with TrainerRoad, unfortunately.

2 Likes

That’s exactly what I was referring to. I went with Wahoo across the board so I could have both ANT+ and Bluetooth if I needed them. It seems that his problem should be solved with the instructions you posted above.

2 Likes

If you have to buy new bridge devices, you might just consider a few new devices. I’m a fan of the Wahoo sensors which do Bluetooth and Ant+.

One cadence RPM is all you need. You can tuck it in your shoe or sock, I also like the chest strap Tickr heart rate monitor, which you can also share. (Buy a second strap if you don’t want to share the strap).

Both sensors and your Snap will pair to TR on the iPad, iPhone or MacBook using Bluetooth. If you are sharing them, then the configuration is the same. Just swap bikes, put the cadence sensor in your sock, and don the HR monitor and open TR on your iPad. Log in to your account. All the sensors will connect under “devices”. This should be automatic after the first connection.

For consistent data you will need to inflate your rear tire to the same psi every ride (90-100psi), and tension the roller consistently each time (2-3 full turns once touching the tire). Consistency is key to correct power and resistance.

For maximum consistency you probably need to warm up the trainer for 10 minutes and do a spindown in Trainer Road each time you ride. Click on “Devices”, then select your Snap trainer, then the settings wheel in the top right corner of the box, then select “spindown” or calibration. Rev the unit up to 38kmph (use your large ring and a medium or hard hear as needed). Once compete you are good to go.

If you are less concerned about absolute accuracy and consistency, do a spindown once a week, and if the trainer does not feel right (too easy or too hard) then do a spindown as needed.

To get started with Trainer Road, you need to do an FTP test (ramp test preferred) in order to establish your training start level which will scale the workouts. You can pick a base build (or whatever) plan and your first workout will be an FTP test. DO NOT skip this step. After your FTP test, do a few workouts and gauge how hard they feel. You can adjust your FTP up or down if you like, but most programs start out moderately hard and get harder so try not to overestimate your ability.

When you are riding in erg mode, the trainer handles the resistance for intervals. Gearing does not really matter to the erg trainer. When riding, strive for a moderate cadence at all times with 85-100 during efforts. (I usually never drop below 70) and you should use a gear that is close to what you ride outside so that you mirror your riding style. So you want to find a gear combination that allows you to maintain good cadence. When you find a gear that is harder to keep at higher cadence, shift up to an easier gear to get a higher cadence. Harder gearing will also have more wheel speed (more momentum) so that when you drop power and cadence, erg mode does not stop you cold

When your cadence drops, the erg trainer will apply MORE resistance to match the target. So if you’re slowing down as you get tired, the resistance can suddenly seem HUGE and as you slow down even more, the resistance goes even higher. (This is the Wahoo Spiral of Death).

Also note that it IS possible to overpower the ERG brake on some machines if you are riding in hard gears. If you find the machine can’t give you enough resistance, switch to an easier gear (small front ring) which will slow down the rear wheel, and see if the trainer can provide enough resistance. (It can)

This will become natural and make sense as you ride more.

So,

1. Consistent tire pressure
  2. Consistent roller tension
  3. Spindown Regularly
  4. FTP test.
  5. Mid-high gearing
  6. Strive for good cadence 85+
  7. 60+ cadence in recovery

Hope this helps.

Mike.

4 Likes

Did you ever get a response that actually worked???