NBCSports Gold moved to Peacock

This sounds like Peacock will only have the commercial free world feed and not have the NBC Sports special features. I’m ok with that although I liked rewinding to watch the morning pre-race show before going to live coverage.

1 Like

I think I understand it now, and part of my confusion was the 3 tiers of peacock. I thought there were only the $5/$10 ones, and I didn’t know about the premium plus.

• peacock: free, limited shows with ads
  • Peacock Premium: $5/month, ads. **** This has all the TDF coverage **** (explicitly stated in the press release above.)
  • Peacock Premium Plus: $10/month, no ads.
  • Peacock Premium Plus Ultra Mega Spectacular: this tier doesn’t exist yet.

So the takeaway is the $5/month plan has all the TDF coverage, and does include the ASO world feed. This is a really good deal - I hope the app is decent to use.

3 Likes

Ah now that makes sense thank you.

Just a note that the “no ads” version specifically states that some things will still have ads. Without knowing more, I don’t see the point in paying the extra $5 and hoping.

Did you find anything about replays and highlights? I couldn’t.

I will be trying the $5 tier, as that should have all the coverage, and I mainly want the add free stream anyway. I did see some mention of on demand access, but nothing specific, and I don’t recall anything specific about hightlights.

1 Like

I’m doing the $5 too, but would pay the $10 for ad free if it included a highlights program

I’ve been assuming Peacock will have on-demand access to the full stage but I guess it’s wait and see for sure. This leads to a first world problem at least on the Roku app in that as you fast forward or rewind there is no thumbnail preview like on Youtube or Netflix.

1 Like

Any thoughts on a commercial VPN service to unlock my GCN+ subscription? List here:

At those prices I’d simply get Peacock Premium for a month, if I can’t handle the Bob and Phil show.

I am using ‘surfshark’ (signed up using code from Alex Dowsett’s youtube channel), and it seems to work pretty well with GCN+, at least in chrome on my PC and chromebook. I can’t seem to get around the geoblocking on GCN+ on android using it - I’m not sure if this is a problem with the VPN, or if some other method (than network info) is used to enforce the blocking.
The chrome plugin makes it easy to turn on/off and switch locations. I don’t really use it for anything else. It does work to a degree with Netflix, however they catch on after a while :slight_smile:

Edit: My main reason for choosing this provider is cost - since this is really just for geoblock avoidance for cycling, I wasn’t willing to pay that much monthly. Other providers may well be ‘better’, but this seems to work fine for my purposes and is a reasonable cost, at least when purchased up-front.

1 Like

Peacock will have part of NBC’s Olympics coverage too so there’s some potential added value to a June/July subscription to get the TdF.

3 Likes

Will the $5 tier have the world feed WITHOUT ads? Or would we need the $10?

The press release makes it seem that way. I’ll start with $5 and upgrade if there ends up being ads during the world feed.

2 Likes

I agree that this is what I think they are offering - the world feed has no adds, and is in the $5 (ie Peacock Premium) tier. I also will be going with the $5 tier. If they have good olympic coverage, may get rid of the ads for that.

1 Like

I also just got the $5 Peacock tier for free by linking to my comcast/xfinity account.

3 Likes

I just checked the Peacock app….in the “Live & Upcoming” section, if you scroll forward, it has the TdF Stage 1 and lists the time as 5hrs 30min, so it should be the whole stage.

Have to admit, I am actually pretty pleased with the change to Peacock. I get it for free with my Comcast account and I don’t have to endure Uncle Phil & Bobke.

Win - win!!!

3 Likes

Does it say if there will be highlights or on demand replays?

I didn’t look for highlights…I’ll check later.

1 Like

How does one do this?

Like this :grin:

1 Like

Thanks….internet only doesn’t count for freebie……

Split it with me? I’ll send you a bill