Nationals, VO2 Max, Rotating Mass and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 214

Sure thing @apwUS! Thanks for the catch on the formula! It’s fixed now :slight_smile:

• Regarding which aid stations I plan on using, these were the ones Nate used last year when I supported, and they have been suggested to me by a handful of experienced riders. I think it’s a good approach. Sure I may lose a minute or two when it’s all said and done, but I think it will be worth it in the end. I plan on making relatively frequent stops to not need to carry extra nutrition when not needed, especially when I’m faced with a lot of climbing.

• A tall bottle is 750ml, but I’ll me mixing the Maurten 1 packet/500ml then redistributing after it has been dissolved. Having tested out a number of different diluting options in this manner, I find that on long days, it’s more psychologically refreshing to have something that tastes closer to water. I like the taste of Maurten, and it’s perfect for XCO, but on a long day like this, I know better than to assume I won’t get palate fatigue.

• As far as timing goes, I based my time expectations off of actual performances, not purely based off of mileage and what I expect to do, or what I did on the way out. You go slower on the way back (in most cases, a LOT slower).

• With the updated changes, you’ll see that I’m carrying a little extra with me at all times. The reasoning behind this is I will not likely drink every bottle or reservoir down to empty, but I still want to average around 100g per hour.

Roger that @Jonathan, thanks for the additional intel, the sheet makes much more sense now. And glad you aren’t trying to ingest >9000KCal on the day … :slight_smile:

I hear you on the Maurten. I found the same at Tahoe. So I’m planning Maurten in the bottles and Skratch in the USWE, about 80g/hr on average.

And re: the second half, I hear you. Oddly enough I negative split the only Leadville that I’ve done, but that was a function of a very congested first half from the white corral. Hoping that will be different this year, so carrying more from PL In makes sense.

Good luck next week.

@Jonathan get @chad an iPad with Apple Pencil and get him to share all the diagrams he makes. This is awesome stuff :slight_smile:

2 Likes

On the Ironman challenge… You’d LOVE Cozumel. I’ve done the 70.3 twice and it is the most beautiful clear water for the swim (the full is mostly with a current, and super fast in addition to being buoyant salt water), the bike course is of course flat as a pancake, and on top of that you get to spend a lot of time figuring out the right hydration strategy for hot, humid weather! :smiling_imp:

1 Like

OMG, please, please to a triathlon or at least have more triathlon content. I love the podcast and you have almost gotten me to do crits or cyclocross but I’m a triathlete and though it’s very interesting to hear about the cycling events I would love to have some podcasts dedicated to triathlon.

4 Likes

Does a gel really cost $3.70???

I can get 20 SIS gels for just over £20 + postage, which these days is about $1.50 per gel.

+1 for Cozumel! did my first IM there, its awesome!!

1 Like

Here is the spreadsheet that Jonathan is using to plan his nutrition strategy for Leadville:

If you meant a different spreadsheet, let me know and I can grab that for you. :+1:

2 Likes

Tucker, he mentioned another spreadsheet with Jonathan’s training log, any chance we could get that?

1 Like

Excellent. Thank you for the clarification!

Here is Jonathan’s 2019 Training Spreedsheet:

Sorry about missing that one! I will update the Episode Notes with this as well. Thanks guys! :grin:

@chad There is now evidence that the father also contributes mitochondrial DNA. How much of it is contributed is up to debate. If I recall correctly, this happens when the mitochondria is very close to the head of the sperm and enters the egg when the sperm head does.

Here is one article from Nature. I had seen articles several years ago on this when I was still teaching Biology.

1 Like

I just almost fell of the trainer when I heard of the IM plans and @chad as a candidate for a Kona qualification. this would be so awesome. go for it guys!

2 Likes

I did a little calculation about the amount of energy needed to accelerate a 250g difference in shoe weight up to 90rpm. It is, as claimed in the podcast, only about 1/3 of a Joule- the same amount of energy as is required to lift the shoes weight difference about 6 inches in altitude. So, rotating mass is irrelevant with regards to shoes and it comes down to carrying an extra 1/2 pound when climbing.

1 Like

Glad you found similar results. It’s always a bit scary placing calculations up for public view/scrutiny. I instantly start to question myself: did I forget a decimal somewhere? As you say, the largest factor here is the fact that you have to climb with higher rider weight.

You can pretty much guess that shoes won’t matter much from a rotating mass POV just by comparing the shoe weight to the weight of the feet inside them and the lower legs which are also traveling a rotary path during acceleration.

Yep, exactly. It’s just nice to put numbers to it. In the cycling world, we are often guilty of accepting claims without verifying.

Regarding MTB vs. road shoes, do you have any actual scientific data on that? While I found the arguments in this video quite convincing, the host admits to having no data as well. Mountain bike shoes can be as stiff as any road bike shoe, so apart from a slight weight penalty (which the back-of-the-envelope calculation by Jonathan’s brother seems to suggest makes no practical difference).

I, too, have Eggbeaters on my road bike as well as my mountain bike, which allows me to share shoes and walk comfortably while my riding buddies are walking on egg shells. Since I am due for a new pair of shoes soon, I was thinking of switching to road shoes. I do race on occasion, and performance is important to me.

Great podcast guys, one of my favorites for sure. I think the section on V02 max and highlighting some evidence that we have room for growth was a highlight for me. @chad the examples you provided where at a good level of technicality and easy to understand. Sometimes the words you drop blow my mind a bit.

1 Like

Just caught up, on the Ironman question.

l reckon you need to work out firstly do you think one of you could Kona qualify? If so then it’s an “easy” answer to find a local IM branded event that would play to the strengths of @chad @Nate_Pearson @Jonathan and has the most quali slots available.

This link is superb for geeking out if you could qualify and what you’d need to do: https://www.coachcox.co.uk/ironman-world-championship-qualification/?fbclid=IwAR2R0hCkdygXX0rTNKrbhDtWbztDhv1SG55eMTZqmV73Au7KGR553BNw5To

Ref swimming coaches, these guys do a great podcast and coaching programs T26 | "BE RACE READY" | Podcasts

Ref an epic long triathlon, this is pretty epic! https://nxtri.com/
Some great pics of someone from the UK BBC who just completed it Norseman Xtreme Triathlon: The race for people with 'minds tougher than their bodies' - BBC Sport

1 Like

I noticed @Jonathan had his highest TSS of 830 the week before he got sick. Any correlation?

1 Like