MyVeloFit, Online AI Powered Bike Fit

It decreased a bit but still there. Attempting to move the saddle back a bit. Trying to keep to the indoor structured workouts schedule which doesn’t seem to cause an issue, so will know the results tomorrow

1 Like

Thank you for sharing this!

I have been battling with feeling like I am reaching for my handlebars. Speaking to my physiotherapist and bike fitter; the bike I have is definitely the right size. I’m 5’7" with a 31" inseam, and ride a size 54 frame.

The price isn’t totally unreasonable, so I will give it a fair go.

BTW if someone has any tips on how to properly hinge at the hips on a road bike I would love to hear it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I purchased the Pro package for $75 USD. Here are my thoughts after spending a few hours playing around. Note that while I did read everything on the website I could find I may have missed some stuff. Having said that here we go!

I uploaded around 5 videos within a few hours to get a feel for the platform.

MVF = MyVeloFit

• I found the website a little disorganized and difficult to navigate. For instance, I’m trying to find my mobility assessment results after navigating away from the page, and am not able to do so. The My Profile link has a link that says See Your Mobility Assessment, though, when I click on the link I get prompted to upload a new video.
  • While this one doesn’t take away much from the overall experience; the website is not immune to the handful of typos I was able to find.
  • I seemed to have gotten myself stuck uploading videos where MVF would have me move my saddle forward by 5mm, then moved back 5mm for my next upload.
  • This layout is a little confusing. At first it seems that there are less entries (e.g. line items) for Your Measurements than there are of Recommended Ranges. That’s not the case, however. The columns are simply not aligned.
  • With the exception of a few measurements, most of my measurements were either at the very low or high range. Very few lined up in other places. That strikes me as a little suspect.

• I kept seeing a message about only having five uploads remaining for this 24-hour period. I was able to keep uploading after my initial fit to play around without issue.
  • I didn’t have a spare stem available, which prevented me from auctioning their recommendation to shorten my stem by 10mm. I have the stock stem on my bike, which I believe is 150mm. I think this suggestion is referring to stem length. Someone please correct me this isn’t the case.

Overall, the only thing I changed was moving my saddle forward by 10mm. Despite the minor adjustments I did feel better for my first ride on this fit of 90 minutes.

Oh! And do verify your mobility assessment result before going through the actual bike fit. I showed me partner my mobility assessment results, and she noticed that for some reason of another, my forward bend didn’t register properly, and was not assessed properly. Instead, MVF used the knee raise exercise instead. As a result, it scored some of my tests as poor. I do plan on re-doing my mobility assessment and uploading the same fit videos to compare the difference.

Having said that, I suppose the ultimate question is; am I happy with my purchase? Generally speaking, yes. I don’t think it’s perfect, mind you. Given the situation we’re in Ontario, Canada, and the continuance of lock-downs, I’m unable to visit my bike fitter.

I should add that this was merely an exercise for me to learn more about the whole process, play with a new toy, and attempt to get more comfortable on my bike whilst still riding the trainer. Once I’m able to see my fitter I will see what he says.

10 Likes

For those curious; here is what my current fit is looking like after several uploads.

Happy to answer any questions from those who are on the fence about trying out this service.

I would love to hear the thoughts from people who are knowledgeable in the world of bike fitting.

8 Likes

Back looks nice and straight. You are really opening yourself up sharing those socks (teasing for fun!).

Thanks for sharing.

3 Likes

Haha. :laughing:

I don’t wear socks on the bike. What you’re seeing are compression sleeves that I find really comfortable on the bike. I say that totally knowing that I’m opening up myself even further.

2 Likes

Has anyone had any experience matching fits between bikes? I have been mostly riding my gravel bike through the winter and I really like the position I have on it. I swapped the saddle on my road bike to the same one but I have different shoes and I have been having trouble getting it to feel the same despite by best efforts with a tape measure and level. Does anyone know if there is an option to try to match profiles or if I would just have to compare measurements and manually get them to match up?

1 Like

I have a similar issue and thought about this service. Two road bikes, one feels great and pain-free, other causes knee pain and I can feel my quads and IT bands tighten up after 60 minutes of riding. I have tried to copy the fit by tape measurements but have no idea what could cause this issue. I am using the same pedals and shoes so I assume it has something to do with my saddle, but…

Both bikes I have were fitted differently one is a canyon the other a cannondale. The seat posts are about a half an inch different in height and the fore/aft positions are off about the same also.
I was happy to get my canyon fitted because it just didn’t feel right, now it feels way better after the fit.
I also did both using the myvelofit website.
Hope that helps :grin:

1 Like

Per the comments on matching bikes, it is super important you are measuring them the same way, EXACTLY for starters. Following a guide like the one below is really important.

• The basic origin for most bike fit measurements is the Bottom Bracket (BB) center. This is a key detail and matters with issues that come from things like bikes with different crank lengths (N) and or pedals.
  • Additional measurements lead from the saddle, once you establish the saddle is the same height (A) and setback (E).

Additionally, you must recognize that similar or different components will affect final fit.

1. Crank length (N) must be the same between bikes in order to use the “SAME” dimensions, or the saddle height (A) must be adjusted to account for any difference.
  2. Saddle setback (E) is also impacted by crank length differences, so must be considered.
  3. Different saddles also can impact what is the "right " setback as not all have the functional width the same distance from the nose.
  4. Even if you have the same saddle, dimensions and such, the front end can be problematic. Differences in handlebar reach are common, even if the center where the stem mounts is the same. Some brands and styles of brake hoods also differ in their shape and length enough to alter the functional reach from the saddle.

I made my own set of measurements for fitting to try and capture these issues.

Without wasting more time on the minutia, the point is that getting the same fit between bikes takes LOTS of measurements and double-checking to see where all the final contact points actually lie from each other. Missing even one detail can lead to functional differences that just feel off, because they are.

11 Likes

Also keeping track of changes in something like https://www.bikegeocalc.com/ is quite helpful. Even if you have one bike it is nice to have history of changes and test how your fit will change before you make any adjustment.

4 Likes

Last year I did a very basic bike fit with the rough heel on the spindle guidelines etc. I wanted to finetune a bit this year, but not spend money on a bikefit until I get a decent bike, let alone having to figure which of the local fitters actually knows what they’re doing.

Started with moving up the saddle a bit. Tried a few of the app-like gadgets for sanity checking. Unfortunately the Bike Fit App has some incompatibility with my ARM Mac and didn’t manage to recognize anything. I tried the Velofit one and despite my room being pretty cluttered with junk in the background it got the angles perfectly. That’s encouraging so I paid for the full license (the cheap one doesn’t allow both road and tri fits, so not very useful).

Result for road fit:

Optically this is a subtle change but overall my saddle is ~4cm higher. I had started moving it upwards so the software confirmed that was the right direction. Probably wouldn’t have moved it so far by myself.

Result for tri fit:

The improvement here seems obvious? Saddle is basically maxed out, aerobars are as far forward as possible.

I did a 2h training ride with the new positions and I had no issues.

Thoughts:

• The cheap edition only allows 5 uploads per day or so. I needed 9 for the road fit and 11 for the tri fit.
  • I did a flexibility assessment. Again, despite a crappy environment the software perfectly got the angles.
  • Based on the flexibility assessment and your indication if you want to fit for comfort, performance, or compromise, it moves you the minimal amount to get in the acceptable range for your flexibility. You can see this above too: as soon as it is in range, it stops, there’s no attempt to get to the middle or so. I guess one could try but the motto seems to be in: in the acceptable range is in the acceptable range, period!
  • For sanity checking a DIY bike fit this seems like a very good product. I don’t think I would have managed to arrive at the above by myself.
  • I maxed out my saddle height and my aerobars can’t move any more forward (without getting a replacement stem) - does this mean I bought a too small bike?
6 Likes

I am thinking about giving this a shot. I’ve had several bike fits and I think recommendations can be all over the place. Having a little more experience now with that feels right I’d like to see what velo can offer. I think people get too into the weeds with this stuff when it probably isn’t necessary. Of course marketing will love you for it

2 Likes

report back - I am curious of those who used this tool (who are not social media influencers, not saying those on here are, but not reviewing for Youtube)

2 Likes

I’m giving it a try. I’ve made some changes, and honestly just forget to make a new video time and time again since I need to get my wife to record me. So far I have raised my bars 10mm, and saddle 5mm for a performance fit on my endurance road bike (Trek Domane). It’s very comfortable, but the changes were not very drastic.

1 Like

I’m gonna give it a go as well, just waiting for a crank arm to come back from 4iiii and I can do all three road bikes at once.

They’re now beta testing a feature for bike sizing. Looks like you do an additional analysis and it’ll tell you all the bikes that fit.

The beta has road and gravel models only (no TT/tri, sob).

2 Likes

I got some email about that, but haven’t checked it out. I am hoping they can at least give simple Reach, Stack and the like, so people can leverage that against geo charts. Great if they can integrate to known bikes, but that’s quite a challenge considering the wide number of options out there.

I still need to give the fitting a shot too, and this sure seems interesting to try as well.

Quick N=1 here. I’ve had a pretty stable fit for a few years now and have paid a nice chunk of change for some professional bike fits. Built up a new gravel bike and wanted to start from scratch, but thought I’d give MyVeloFit a try after seeing it here.

You can do a few different options (Road/Gravel/TT/MTB? along with performance/performance and comfort/comfort for fit type), so I picked gravel and performance and it was a fair change from my old fit. Turns out I like the new fit a lot once I got everything dialed in. It lowered my saddle a smidge and brought the bars up a bit and after some tinkering it’s the best fit I’ve had in a long time.

The process itself is pretty simple. You can upload video directly from your phone, and fit recommendations are broken by contact points and will say something like “Lower saddle 5mm” plus show where your current position is relative to their recommended range for things like saddle fore/aft.

Pretty cool stuff, and I feel like it’s money much better spent than rolling the dice on a local fitter, even the super expensive, national guy.

8 Likes

So I decided to pay for the Pro version to fit my new bike. The company uses is a direct-to-consumer business model but they have a 23-point measurement system when ordering online to get the fit close. I immediately changed out the saddle, though, and the seat post was not installed while shipping so I wanted to get some help.

For $75USD for the Pro version (unlimited uploads, unlimited bikes, one year) I’m impressed. I spent more time relocating my trainer out of my closet “pain cave” to a room with enough space to film than actually doing the fit. Taking and cropping videos on the phone was super easy. The analysis time was fast (1-2 minutes) and the recommendations feel right.

One interesting note (at least for me). I feel more comfortable with my hands about 20-30mm behind the hoods - basically with the middle finger just behind the drops. When I took a video like this it told me to extend the reach. I’ll ride some more on the hoods to see if I get used to it, if not then I’ll get a slightly shorter stem. It could also be that it is optimizing the fit for Comfort and Performance vice just Comfort.

There is one limitation of this service, though, and that is it does not analyze clear position.

Again, overall, for the convenience and expediency of getting fit in my basement in about an hour it was a good investment, at least for me.

5 Likes