Most pointless upgrade

Cutting the fork stem too short - it didn’t make me faster :blush:

7 Likes

Ah the ol’ buyers remorse justification problem

The ti 6-bolt Disc rotor bolts I got for my CX/gravel bike. Wasn’t really trying to save weight, but that anti-corrosion thing was driving me. Only they had higher profile heads than Shimano or SRAM stock rotor bolts and actually hit the fork caliper posts :rofl:

1 Like

My bike has externally routed shifter cables and the inner cables are exposed most of the way along the down tube. Having those standard dull silver inner shifter cables visible there was simply unacceptable to my eyes, so I upgraded them to red KCNC inner shifter cables.

I probably gained a couple of grams of weight in the form of colored coating on those inner shifter cables, so in that sense it was probably a downgrade, but it sure looks nicer!

1 Like

Alright, I’m new to this whole cycling thing, and I don’t get this whole valve caps shouldn’t be used thing. Presta valves look pretty fragile to me, why don’t you cap them?

Remember the top caps for Cinelli Alter stems…

Mind you, these days it could be considered aero.

Mike

I’ve broken a SWORKS carbon cage and an Arundel carbon cage and yet I keep buying them. What a dummy. But they are just so pretty.

2 Likes

Coolness factor. Logic has nothing to do with it.

Plus, you will save 4 seconds on your next flat tire change, and 1-2g on the bike weight.

2 Likes

And they weight 10g less than plastic ones. Times two!

and she rides like a DREAM : )

1 Like

Take your pick.

1 Like

What was the most disappointing upgrade that you’ve done? The one you thought was going to have a huge impact but ended up being neutral or negative instead.

1 Like

I don’t want to be a bad influence, but have a look at the carbonworks.de bottle cages - just 8g for the plastic coated carbon fibre ones, or 5g for raw CF - that’s a whole 20g saved off the (very pretty) Arundel cage :wink:

BTW - I’m not linked to then in any way.

4 Likes

You are a bad person! That’s a savings of ~35g per cage!

Rubber bulb horn for a road bike. I thought there would be more pedestrians on the roads :joy:

Not true! Racing stripes make you faster and add style watts, which are pretty much free speed #science :joy:

1 Like

Well, they were red stripes, so… :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I too fell for Zero Gravity brakes. Took perfectly good Campy Record brakes off and replaced them with the Zero (braking) Gravity parts. I finally switched when I got tired of the centering spring popping loose due to brake flex.

1 Like

Screw the cage, I want that mount.

Tan sidewalls on mtb tires, not guilty of it myself, but I just dont get why it is even a thing? :exploding_head:

1 Like