Most pointless upgrade

Because it looks awesome?

3 Likes

Because it’s rad :metal:

1 Like

Swapped out the gripshift on my 90’s hardtail for colorful ones that didn’t match eachother. I think they were red and blue. I no longer remember exactly why I thought it was a good idea, I think one/both of them were from a friend who had done an upgrade. I also kept replacing my bar-ends with different bar-ends.

On my current MTB, swapped in a Thunder Burt onto my rear wheel, and no longer had adequate traction for my local hills, and also slid out a lot on corners. But that straight line rolling resistance was a few watts better! I typically MTB with a camelback on, but leave the bottle cage on. For some races, I’ll take the cage off. Totally lighter and worth the time to remove!

1 Like

:sob:

:exploding_head:

Do you remember when you first upgraded to black sidewalls?

Mike

They have always been black! :crazy_face:

My very first road bike the shop owner made a big show of giving me metal flat pedals to replace the stock nylon ones. The bearings in the metal ones seized up about a week apart from each other. I was 40 miles from home both times.

2 Likes

eeBrakes direct mount brakes to save them watts
They are beautiful though, I don’t regret. Just don’t tell the wife how much they were.

3 Likes

Looks cooler on Instagram

New most pointless upgrade! Lockdown and rain means I’m very bored at time so spent £24 quid on bar plugs! They look cool but in a normal time that’s a lot of cake!

4 Likes

Carbon bottle cage bolts.

To be fair they were acquired when I still had access to trade pricing and a good friend still had his bike shop. Would I have done so if I had to purchase them?..nup.

As hilarious as they sound they are still running strong a decade later. :man_shrugging: (until they don’t)

Dura Ace skewers. Heavy, not particularly aero or low profile, but damn they are nice, and the rear one fits under my chainstay beautifully

3 Likes

I have the Colnago CT1 and just spent 750 dollars on Carbon Seat Post, Stem, and Handlebars to save 6.4 oz. Love that bike and waiting for my new Carbon Wheels.

Those things should impact ride quality (for better or worse depending on what you got) so not entirely pointless, but from a weight savings perspective you could have just ridden in tri-guy socks to achieve the same result :rofl:

1 Like

Hot take: given the cost, a power meter if you never use it to actually guide your training and riding. I have ridden with a ton of people who have a PM and essentially use it as a “huh, neat” generator post-ride.

3 Likes

Love my CT1 (my first Colnago). Need to see pics of yours w upgrades

Added: Ritchey Superlogic Link Seatpost, Ritchey WCS C220 Stem, and Zipp SL-70 Ergo Carbon bars.

IMG_2651

4 Likes

Disqualified!

There is no such thing as a pointless upgrade on a 'Nago :stuck_out_tongue:

5 Likes

Chad: I must say even though I submitted this the weight savings for value is getting a bit ridiculous for me. I find myself justifying the comfort of carbon versus the minor weight savings.

1 Like