Mongolia Bike Challenge - anyone with experience?

I know it might be a long shot but is there anyone on the forum doing Mongolia Bike Challenge this year or with past experience?

Looks like it’s going to be at least 6 hours in the saddle each stage, I’m confident I can train myself into a decent shape by August from endurance perspective, but really don’t know what to expect in terms of terrain.

Any tips on equipment choices, tyres etc? Do I need to ramp up my strength training? I’m a roadie doing my first off-road stage race and I’m concerned that my back will give up sooner than my legs.

I know an ex club mate was lucky enough to do it. It looked epic, enjoy :+1:

I did it a few years ago, it was awesome.

It’s a very roadie-friendly race as there’s almost no single track. If you look at the photos on their website that’s what it is - lots of jeep track across grassy rolling hills. Lightweight MTB - hardtail is more than fine - and strong XC tires (Racing Ralph, Ikon etc).

For training do as many long firetrail rides as possible - I took 2 days off work a month out and had a 4-day weekend of back to back long rides which I think really helped.

1 Like

Thanks, this is really helpful! Looks like I won’t have to worry too much about my technical skills - I was already planning to do a bunch of fire roads as training anyway as that’s basically the best I can do anyway living in the Netherlands.