Missing "Extend Workout" button (Free Ride)

Was it intentional that there is no “Extend Workout” button in Free Rides? I sometimes get on the bike for 45 mins then extend the workout a bit. Maybe it’s against the spirit of sticking to the plan but just wondering if there’s a way to add the “extend workout” button to Free rides. It would be nice to have that option regardless. Thanks!

4 Likes

Might be a limit based on programming logic that is tied to Warmup and Cooldown function. Those are missing since the Free Rides have no actual WU/CD, just a work section.

Just a guess and hopefully a TR rep can clarify.

1 Like

Yes, also wonder if I can create a “Free Ride” workout in the workout creator and have the button. Hmmmm

1 Like

Workout Creator might be the best start. I haven’t tried, but say you start with something like Taku, then remove or adjust the blocks you want, and it may maintain the WU/CD extend options. Worth a test at least.

I came here to post the same thing, so consider this my +1. That said I like Chad’s advice: I’ll just add Taku instead of Free Ride to my calendar, ignore the power targets and extend the cool down as long as I want (until the movie I’m watching is over :grinning:).

4 Likes

Ok I just checked again because other day there was “extend workout” button in a free ride. So, Free Rides 45 & 75 have the button while 30 and 60 don’t. I mean I have no idea why. :man_shrugging: Going forward I’ll just start with 45 and take it from there :sunglasses:

1 Like

Awesome! 90 doesn’t have it either. Thanks for the tip.

I have noticed this as well since I typically do a Free Ride when I’m doing a Zwift Race. Good to know about the 45/75 ones having it as the 60 and 90 I normally use don’t.

Just to add to this, this week I’ve done Lazy Mountain -1 (no extend button), this morning I did Recess -4, and it had “Extend Warmup” the whole way through. Workout “aims” and texts pretty much the same.

Personally, if it wasn’t a massive coding job, I’d prefer all to give me the option! If nothing else, I rely on outside entertainment (TV or podcasts) so often extend to finish an episode or catch the end of a race!

Same with Recess and no extend option if I recall correctly.

1 Like

I’d like to bump this thread and add a feature request to add extend cooldown option to all rides.
Dans and Lazy Mountain don’t have the option but it would be really great if they did.

• Recess-4 doesn’t have one either.
3 Likes

Agreed, I’m not sure why it’s not included with all workouts.

3 Likes

I just did Free Ride 45 and it did not have the extend button (using Android).

It’d be great if all Free Ride workouts had an Extend Workout button! :pray:

1 Like

If it were me, I’d just put an ‘Extend’ button there permanently, and then whenever you press it it allows you to extend whatever phase you’re currently in, whether it’s warm-up, cool-down, work interval, or recovery.

I’d find it particularly useful for endurance rides, where I can just whack in an arbitrary extra amount of work depending on how I feel, but I can imagine others would use it to add extra work at other intensities, or add an extra bit of recovery if they’re finding it hard going towards the end of a workout.

1 Like

What I normally do for free rides, I pick the one that is 2 hrs longer than what I intend to do and stop when I want.

1 Like

100% supporting this much needed feature-request :point_left:
I saw @ZackeryWeimer replying to the related post - maybe he can clarify? :blush:

Hey there!

Free Rides are unique in that they don’t have power targets during the ride, which means they don’t work with the current “Extend Workout” logic we have in place. Basically, our engineers would have to change a lot of stuff to get that to work as intended.

A potential workaround could be to open a workout like Recess -5 instead of a Free Ride. You could set your trainer to Standard or Resistance mode, ignore the power target, and ride at whatever intensity you like for as long as you like.

2 Likes