Metabolic Efficiency, Marking Riders, Sustained Power and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 314

You’d predict four laps if it’s ~24min laps I guess?

Frustrating live timing website. Might be better on desktop :man_shrugging:

1 Like

Yeah, seems the leader just finished #4.

1 Like

What a tease, giving us splits for the first two laps, then leaving us hanging for the second half.

Dude…

Jon might have earned his “just a few seconds…” Nat’s podium miss (1st thru 5th) like good ol’ Chad… shoot! Looks like it would have been a smasher of a finish. Awesome work either way!!! :100:

8 Likes

Where did you get that cool chart data?

1 Like

I think I race against these guys in the Gold Coast Masters Cycling Club cries each week. I feel young unit we start pedaling :rofl::rofl::rofl:

That must have been a wicked race for 3rd less than 30s seperates

Well done @Jonathan :clap:t3::clap:t3::clap:t3:

2 Likes

Hope @Jonathan doing ok, on Instagram he seemed (understandably) really bummed at coming 6th and had some scary heart issues on short track (v sweet/emotional when talked about stopping mid race to kiss his son as scared, very poignant about what REALLY matters in life.:heart:)

Hope doing well and everyone in TR family so proud of your achievements.

One thing though…you crazy Americans…who else in world counts ‘podium’ as top 5. Podium is top 3 surely anywhere else in world!:joy:

4 Likes

MTB podium is top 5 to include the UCI World Cup.

4 Likes

It’s on intervals.icu, which takes your Strava data and slices/dices in amazing ways. It’s free and run by one guy, who is really accessible. Check it out. If you like and use it, maybe consider supporting it. It’s worth it for me!

I don’t think they are really competitors with TR as they are just data analysis (also it’s not really “they” as I think it is basically a project by @davidtinker rather than a commercial product). TR has been asked about including those kind of metrics into the TR calendar/progress charts before and said they didn’t want to - much as I think it’d be great if they just bought Intervals and added it into the TR system :wink:

They’ve also referred directly to Intervals in some posts.

The reason I thought I would bring it up is because the Coggan charts seem to significantly exaggerate the sprint power compared to most people’s real experiences (as you’ve found yourself). And I am sure I read somewhere that Coggan never actually put the category labels on it; that’s been done subsequently - and as the TR guys pointed out the expectations for some of the cats are a bit unrealistic. It’s also completely arbitrary, whereas Intervals compares you against a group of your peers - although as noted there are not many peers in your age group and Intervals users in general are likely to be a bit more well trained than your average Strava user. I’m 33 so there is a much larger dataset of M under 40 and M 30-39 etc… Another reason why it would be super cool if TR merged in Intervals since it would expand the pool quite dramatically :smiley:

This is my Coggan Male:

Vs M 30-39 (5,745 athletes in group):

My sprint is obviously still rubbish but it’s not nearly as bad as the Coggan chart would suggest.

Mark Cavendish is 70 kilos; 22 w/kg for him would be 1,540 which is probably there or thereabouts at the end of a Tour stage, but doesn’t put him in the Hero category… I think you’d need to be a track sprinter to be at 25!

1 Like

@davidtinker is the man!

I like that it is so customisable. Great product.

1 Like

Tx guys and @bobmcstuff glad you enjoy the site. I have been doing a lot of refactoring to make it multisport and doing wellness integrations and so on. Hope to get back to adding more pure cycling stuff soon!

3 Likes