Max aerobic power tied to FTP

Chad didn’t write that article; he did, however, write the now-gone older version.

He talks about Vo2max in the video that’s embedded above the fold.

@86TDF If you’re interested in the old version the donut is referencing, that’s here: How VO2 Max Training Makes You a Faster Cyclist - The Science Behind It - TrainerRoad

3 Likes

Thanks for the links. Will take a look.

Yeah, the scientific consensus is large volume having the greatest driver. And with large volume, a large % of that would be LT1 training.

Ehhh…I can only refer you to Empirical Cycling/Watts Doc podcast #18-24.

Happy listening & learning!

2 Likes

And this episode for even more actionable insights:

1 Like

Vo2max is mL of oxygen consumed per minute per kg of body weight. It can be increased through training but largely genetic. I had mine tested while participating in a study at the local uni and it fluctuated btw 66-72 based on my training load.

You can increase power at vo2 max (this would be an increase in your body’s efficiency… same oxygen consumption put more power output). They might word it differently in the literature but it’s essentially that.

The idea that OP is asking is largely correct. When highly trained, your vo2 is largely fixed. Vo2 power always exceeds LT-ftp. The idea behind training is that your LT-ftp can become a higher % of vo2max power.
For example, they say Lance Armstrong had his LT-ftp as a very high % of vo2max, rather than having an ‘off the charts’ vo2 max.

For this to make sense, you need to take a step back and realize LT-ftp is the lactate threshold. Just like vo2 Max is how much oxygen you breathe, in a lab on a LT test they prick your blood and measure lactate levels. Some particular amount is considered the lactate threshold (LT).

So yes it doesn’t make too much sense that vo2 is a fixed percent of ftp, but they are just estimates of vo2 and LT threshold (ftp). Somethings gotta give if you’re not going to do real lab testing. I think they are pretty good estimates IMO, at least for structuring training

2 Likes

Those are Coggan Classic levels, and about 6 years ago Dr Coggan recognized the limitations with using fixed percentage above threshold and created a new set of levels. Read this article:

https://help.trainingpeaks.com/hc/en-us/articles/360030601812-How-ILevels-Make-It-Possible-To-Individualize-Training-In-WKO5

for some background. And a webinar:

both of those should help explain the concepts, and you don’t need WKO to use the updated concepts.

1 Like

Great article, thanks for sharing! That pretty much answers OPs question (Ilevels)

One point which has eluded all of us in this thread (myself incl), is that it’s VO2 MAX — not ‘VO2 120%’ etc.

VO2 max is just rate of maximum oxygen uptake.

You’re confusing “power at VO2 max” (a training zone which is nominally supposed to match roughly with VO2 max for most people and is usually just referred to as VO2 max) and VO2 max which is the physiological state at which you achieve maximum oxygen uptake rate.

This is why you can have VO2 max workouts made up of 30/30s or 50/50s where the “on” period is in the anaerobic power zone - the point is to stimulate maximum oxygen uptake, the power target/interval structure used to get there is can be different (obviously there’s different benefits to each).

3 Likes