Mallorca 312 training

Milestone (the organisers) are going to open a Marketplace where riders can sell or transfer their place. Reading on the FB forum, I don’t think you’ll struggle to secure a place :wink:

1 Like

Ah cheers , I’ll check out the group page, even though it means going on Facebook

Are all you guys going to make the new date in October? In one way its a better time of the year for us Brits, we don’t have to do the longer training rides in the winter, we can do them through the summer. That’s if we’ll be allowed outside :thinking:

Only problem with 10th October, there’s only 11 hours, 22 minutes of daylight (sunrise at 7.54hrs and sunset 19.17hrs). A set of “be seen” lights looks in order and plenty of caution at the start, if it’s still going to be at 7.00am.

Finally signed up for this last night - not sure yet whether to aim for the 312 or do one of the smaller routes, but glad to have something on the calendar!

This is the only event remaining in my calendar. I’m also aiming to complete the full 312. It feels like it’s fast approaching.

I was playing around with plan builder to set me up for it, and was surprised how soon it is. Plus due to work I’ll need to switch to low volume probably with maybe a few extras when I can fit it in. Are you doing structured training for it?

I’m waiting for the 2021 dates to be confirmed.
4 of us went in 2019 with Sportive Breaks and it was excellent. 5 days, hotel on the start line and our own pen near the front so we were over the start line in 10-15 minutes.

I did the 225 as my mate had a echanical that took 30 mins to fix but want to do the 312 next year.

Flying in on Weds allows for a Formentor ride Weds, Lluc/Sa Calobra on Thurs, easy spin Fri, 312 Sat, beer Sunday, fly home Monday.

1 Like

Sounds like you had a great trip! Thats a lot of riding in a few days! I’m actually lucky enough to live in mallorca, in fact we have a hotel just down the road from the start line. Its normally the last saturday in April.

I found out last year how important that is, i didnt get over the start line until after 8 and missed the cut off as a result

I am very jealous.

It was a 1200TSS week for me, double my usual week and I loved every second of it.
I’ve also done Mallorca 70.3 and holidayed there a couple of times, I love Mallorca!

Which is your hotel?

Yeah it really is incredible for cycling, in April it begins to feel like as if cyclists have taken over the island, I love it showing to people.

Its the Hotel Africamar in Can Picafort, nothing fancy, but keeps us busy!

Yes, I used Plan Builder to set up my schedule. From the information I provided, it set me x3 weeks plus recovery of SSB1, x3 weeks plus recovery of SSB2 and a full x8 weeks of SPB and Century. All Mid Volume. I start SPB next week.

Been busy trying to build up my endurance over the past three months with outdoor rides on both Saturday and Sunday. I haven’t hit the 100 milers yet but, I can do back-to-back 70s with a reasonable amount of elevation so I think I’m moving in the right direction. Weekly TSS since the middle of March has been between 650 (recovery weeks) and 850.

Usually I do the Low Volume plans and add/subtract as required, but for this, as I’m so far out of my comfort zone, I thought I’d better take all the advice I can get.

How is your training going?

So have you been doing the weekend rides in addition to the TR plan?

I was flying April after a winter of SSB HV1&2 and General Build got me from 3.2W/kg to over 4.1 albeit with no long rides - but then I kinda burned out during Century HV and only just getting over it. Been doing a customized 8 week polarized block 500-600TSS including 4-5hr rides on a Sunday. I’m a bit worried about going down to LV but will just need to make each workout count.

Have you done the event before? I done the 167 last year but reccied the whole route and even near the end there are some nasty little bits

1 Like

My weekend rides replace the scheduled TR weekend workouts. I do plan to shuffle the order of the workouts in Build to ensure that I’m not skipping the longer Sweet Spot efforts.

I haven’t done the event but I have ridden on the island twice a year for the past three years so I’ve got a good mental picture of mountain section. Friends who’ve completed the 312 have told me that the route back home is no joke and the sooner I find a group to work with, the better my chances of making the cut off.

All the proper climbing is in the 1st half. Even the back half of the 225 is mostly flat and descending.
It is still a slog though given you are pretty fatigued by then.

I know where you are.
We should have a TrainerRoad meet up and a beer or 2 next April.

1 Like

Can Picafort is my go to place when staying in Mallorca,infect i usually stay in the Montecarlo just down from you.

Do you own the Africamar? i could possibly give you some custom in the future

1 Like

Yeah but then the last section of the 312 takes you down a lot of lanes with tight corners and some short sharp climbs, but the last 20km or so are almost pan flat.

Definitely, we’ll sort it out!

1 Like

Yeah its our hotel, my wifes grandparents built it, must be one of the last family hotels around here! Appreciate that if you keep us in mind, just give me a shout :+1:

2 Likes

I may well give your hotel a try, sounds good. What is the thinking locally about this October 10th going ahead? Seems a bit optimistic to me.

Its a tricky one - there was an early realisation here that with high COVID numbers tourism just wouldn’t be possible in the balearics - so people were very respectful during the lockdown and tbf it was quite well controlled here. Now that the state of alarm has ended people are definitely keen to push on and get started for the season: so hotels, bars, retaurants etc are taking measures to keep risk down. But mass gatherings are obviously another thing, plus you throw in people coming from all over for it too and the risk is very high. My guess is that if COVID numbers remain low it’ll go ahead and there will be some extra precautions nearer the time e.g. face masks at the start line and the the feed stops. Really just speculation but theres certainly enthusiasm to make things work here.

Ah cheers! Just give me a shout if you need any info!