Let's see your paincave!

Any chance you could do an ironman triathlon themed one?

1 Like

Hi Nick,

Yes there is. I’m just trying to source/license a suitable image(s). I will keep you updated :+1:

3 Likes

Presumably you also fire up the BBQ and open the lid to simulate a particularly hot day at the Vuelta…? :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

BBQ works as a good motivation :wink:

3 Likes

25 Likes

What’re your initial thoughts on the that Commercial Electric fan? – looking at picking one up today

1 Like

Happy with it, would buy again, it definitely puts out a lot more air than my Vornado fan (wife commandeered) (783 Large Stand Air Circulator – Vornado)

It is a bit louder but the blades are metal and larger so makes sense. Not that loud though, i hardly hear it with airpods in. Once I close the door of the gym, you can hardly hear it elsewhere in the house. The Vornado fan is good, but is a bit more narrow of a stream of air. This Commercial Electric fan fully engulfs from lower legs up to face. It’s 3 speeds, I haven’t needed to run it on full blast. The medium speed does the trick.

I’d be curious on winter temp issues (I’m a bit SW of you in Minnesota) and what a garage training experience might look like. Also what the trip to/from said garage would look like on those -30 or so C days…

Wow check out that industrial fan! How many decibels!?

you have the equipment the whole year outdoor, it looks so?

+1 for you doing a build post. Best paincave in this thread IMO. Thinking of going the same direction but maybe doing 2 or 3 of those back to back. One as an outdoor office, one as paincave/lounge and maybe a third one as a full-on workshop etc. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Just wondering, did you ever go ahead with that? I’m in Texas and we’re once more in the middle of August when the heat is at its worst. Our central a/c can only do so much when it’s 104 degree outside so we’re looking at other alternatives for our pain cave, including a window unit or possibly a ductless unit.

TX here - i have the “internal” window unit + industrial fan combo. Its fantastic. Cools the room down to about 72 and with the airflow from the fan, it works. I also got a wifi outlet so I can turn it on 20-30 mins before doing a workout to cool the room down before I get up or get home. I’ve had my window unit for ~4-5 years and still going strong.

1 Like

I did, I bought a pioneer mini split 9000 BTU unit for 600.00 delivered. I did the install myself which is super easy, and I couldn’t be happier. I just leave the thermostat at 70 all year, it stays warm in winter and nice and cool in the summer. I did go ahead and get a remote thermostat for the unit so that it reads temp over in the middle of the garage rather than at the unit to more evenly cool the whole room. I’m coming up on two years with it, and its dead silent, will freeze the room out if I’m so inclined, and has completely transformed the room.

I have a few pics I’ll add to this post shortly.

2 Likes

We have some friends who just added a window unit to their trainer room and they’re also pretty happy with it. That’s great that yours is working out too. That’s one alternative we’re seriously considering. I had the central a/c full blast for 3-4 hours yesterday afternoon and the house wouldn’t get any cooler than 74. It finally got to 73 after I was done with my ride. :frowning:

That sounds awesome. Yes, please do add some pics when you get a chance. I like the remote thermostat idea.

The biggest obstacle we’re running into is that even though the house is cool, our trainer room gets HOT! Not surprising–two people, two trainers, both generating lots of heat. But it’s a losing battle with just the central a/c running.

Same, my central AC will only cool the house to about 73 in the peak 100degree summer months. However, that costs a lot of money and the Wife will yell at me for “freezing” everyone in the house. Plus, my gym/office doesn’t get good airflow, so even if the house is 73 that room won’t ever go below 75. However, with the window unit I can have the house at a reasonable 75-76 degrees during the day so no one “freezes”, and then chill the gym/office room down to 72ish for the workout. It feels a lot colder too bc the air coming out of the portable AC is prob in the low 60s, despite the room being 72. Amplified by the windchill of the fan speeding the airflow up.

I think I spent like 350 on it from Home Depot, get the highest BTU you can afford. I think mine is like 6000, I wish i would have got 8k-9k, it would be nice to freeze that room down to sub 70 in peak heat. I run it in the winter while working out too. Can easily chill the room to mid/low 60s in the winter.

2 Likes

LOL. Yep, I get the same complaints when my wife isn’t also in there suffering with me.

I’ve been working from home since March, so I can sneak workouts in at different times, but given how much I have to run the a/c before and during workouts this time of year, I wait until she gets home from work so I only have to blast it for that one time period.

1 Like

Last one, I promise. :wink:

Just wanted to say THANK YOU to you all for the positive feedback, Likes and personal messages I’ve received regarding my Pain Cave Motivation posters. This was a personal project to keep my hands and mind busy. You folks have given me renewed enthusiam.

For those who are interested, the artwork went from digital to print and I received the posters back today. Super happy with how these turned out.

37 Likes

Keep them coming! Cant wait for mine to come through the post!

1 Like