Let's see your paincave!

I’d patent your design for what looks like a bona fide TARDIS - looks tiny from the outside pics yet there’s two bikes along the wall! :thinking: :laughing:

PS nice side view out of the window: helps make indoor rides feel more like outdoor rides… :+1:

5 Likes

Completely built from scratch, and designed mostly in my head. I kept the dimensions rather small at 8’x12’ largely to save on material costs(sheet goods are 4’x8’ standard, so by keeping it to multiples of that, you reduce waste). I was very careful with my orientation, so that the front wall faces directly South, to capture some of the morning sun in the Winter. In the Summer, the window and door will be shaded by the overhang of the roof as the sun is higher in the Summer. Additionally, it sits directly below a large oak tree, and several pines to help shade it. All said and done, I’m about $3700 into the build, and that was with splurging a bit on some of the materials such as the Cedar interior, under floor insulation, and higher quality Jeld-Wen windows.

Imgur
Imgur
Imgur

Getting the bikes up above the counter was the least intrusive way I could think to mount them. Otherwise they’re taking up a ton of the very limited 90 sq ft of floor space. I’m really happy with the mounts that I’ve got fab’d up to hold them. With all my bikes running power meters, I wasn’t sold on the idea of supporting them via the pedals, so after hours of digging around, I was able to piece together this solution. The arms are flexible, so they’re adjustable to different bikes. The clamp itself has a “hook” to it, so truly they’re supported without clamping them, but a quick turn of the thumb-screw is extra peace of mind.

Imgur

I’ll post an update as I get it more dialed, and the exterior buttoned up!

26 Likes

Thanks for sharing!!

This is mega! :ok_hand:t2:

We’ve been working on our new basement for months. Is nearing completion. Here is where we started. And where we are now. We are still waiting on a new treadmill which will be the last piece of major equipment for a while. The peloton bike+ is a nice filler for a 30 minute workout when I need to unwind, but most of the time is spent on the Kickr with TrainerRoad.

64 Likes

Wow, that before and after difference - are you sure you didn’t just buy a new house with a ready-made training room? I would definitely be motivated to go down to the “new” basement to do my workouts. Great job!

4 Likes

Incredible effort there. Nicely done.

Really great job - looks amazing :+1:t2:

Where does the power come from?

Thanks - clearing out all the old stuff was quite the rewarding process. That alone was worth the whole effort. Once we get the treadmill will work on cleaning up cords and such. Now I just need to get my AT beta access to really make use of it :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I see a lot of nice rooms on here, and Im not by nature a jealous person, I like what I have myself. HOWEVER, these places with really high ceilings, 10ft and more just fire me up totally. I LOVE that, with the big windows. If there was any thing I could change about my place it would be to have high ceilings.

Nice training spot.

4 Likes

Just added a Skierg to the collection, so room is getting crowded. You’d be surprised how out of shape I am despite all this equipment…

Recumbent bike/KICKR 2018/Saris MP1 Platform
Assault Air Runner Treadmill
Schwinn Recumbent Exercise Bike (wife’s)
Skierg
Precor Stretch Trainer

14 Likes

First recumbent I’ve seen on a rocker, very cool!!! :smiley:

8 Likes

Awesome!! The first picture looks like my basement. Bottom pictures…one day, other house work gets prioritiy :frowning:

Oh, if only my fitness was directly correlated to the number of items in my workout area… I think it’s something about actually using the stuff – and in a planful way… :thinking:

3 Likes

My wife says this about me all the time…

1 Like

Small update and got a Tacx trainer mat which is really nice to switch out my ten year old cyclops one

Love the cushion it has and obviously matches my new Neo Bike.

23 Likes

Just moved into a new place with this ‘garden office/room/training studio’ stoked with our house choice & my gf choice, she was as keen to get the pain cave set up quickly as I was!

30 Likes

I finished my basement over the past year and we decided to put in a dedicated gym space. Couldn’t be happier with my new setup! Currently scouting for a treadmill. Here’s a before and after of my pain cave.
23dee16b5614e7e6815d9f457f556a2419cb2d2b_2_500x500

38 Likes

Nice!

Any pictures of the outside?