Legs vs. Cardio, Warming Up, Speed Wobbles and More – Ask a Cycling Coach 215

I wonder how far you can get with just making your own out of sodium bicarbonate and baby oil? Or maybe you can just dissolve it in water and spray it on your legs? :thinking:.

I did try AMP on a couple of recent rides. Hard to judge if it had an impact or was more mental on my part. I found much the same in that I noticed I was riding longer at a higher sustained pace then I usually could hold. It just felt easier. Near the end of close to a 3 hour group ride I still felt like I had some quick jump when I pushed it to get a PR on a Strava segment. I had done this same segment over 100 times and the timing was right for me to get the PR. I am not yet convinced that AMP is doing anything but it definitely seems to making me think I am stronger.

1 Like

I also had speed wobbles on the Patterson pass RR. The thing is it was only on one section of the course. Given the hilly nature there were a lot of fast decents, but the only one that gave me issue was the one on Carroll road just before the right turn onto Altamont Pass Rd. I did it last year with no problems. The only thing that’s changed is using Enve 3.4s vs Velocity deep rims.

I’m going to go out there again and experiment and see what’s going on as it’s the first time I’ve had this issue.

Hi - I’m the guy who asked the triathlon question. I’m not going to attack you, but a few thoughts:

1. Cycling covers a HUGE variety of things: road racing, crits, TT, CX, sportives, audax, grand tour, touring, bikepacking, commuting - and that’s before we even get started with mountain biking! There’s probably way more stuff in the TR podcast that isn’t directly relevant to every listener than is. So what? Either just skip forwards past the stuff you aren’t interested in, or keep listening and maybe you will learn something?

2. Triathletes are endurance athletes - as are many competitive cyclists. Our cycling is either draft-legal in which case it’s akin to crits, or it’s non-draft legal in which case it’s basically a TT. If you aren’t interested in crits or TT, then that’s fine, but see #1 above.

3. I love the fact that TR in general, and Chad, John and Nate specifically are all about inclusivity rather than exclusivity. Why not bring the joy of cycling to as many people as possible?

@Nate_Pearson so glad to hear you guys are doing some more User Research around Triathlon. I know kona is a really good opportunity for you guys to target a lot of high end racers in one go, but also worth noting that there are so many different types of triathlon out there. I’ve got quite a lot of experience in training and racing plus a bit of coaching. Would be so keen to get involved and help out if possible.

I also have a background in software development, user centric design albeit in a business analyst point of view but would be willing to help!

1 Like

Hey Guys,
Loving the podcasts. Love the topic of legs vs cardio limiter.

Would love to ask the question. Does a condition like factor v leiden deficiency affect this ability? (thou reading I have done seems no).
Reason for this. I am 28 - been riding for 18 years - racing for 8 of those years.
I have always found that my heart rate is lower vs everyone around me when it comes to efforts (my max I have ever seen is 192bpm) where other find 190bpm comfortable but at 188bpm I am bleeding all over but yet my race average is 162bpm. I ride track and road mainly. I am a long sprinter/ punchy style rider. 183cm at 70kg with a 337w ftp - Resting heart of 50bpm
Just trying to see if it just a phyicalogical thing (larger heart hence lower bpm) or just my heart is not able to beat so high.

Thanks for the great content in the podcasts and race analysis. Great to see the small things that make such a massive difference.
Strava Profile
Race Effort : Big Race - Cycle Challenge
Tempo Group Ride: Cyco Tempo - No Sprint - lots of work
Tempo Group with Sprint: Cyco - Tempo With Sprint

Cheers