Kona Special Interview – Norman Banick – Ask a Cycling Coach 226

Yes, it is indeed the recipe from triathlon-szene.
I am using the following spreadsheet (no credits for me… I only downloaded it)

For non-germans: ingredients are maltodextrin, honey, grape juice, lemon juice and salt.
In my opinion it’s a really good drink you can essily customise to your needs, super cheap and you don’t produce a ton of waste as with gels.

@Mid volume Plans
Yes, Last year I followed it rather closely but for cycling only. It seemed to me that the running doesn’t really scale to that level (for example iirc there are 3h runs in it).
No specific swimming plan really. Early season is mostly 2 interval workouts (100s and 400s) and some slower distance swimming. Closer to the A-race I try to do a 4km openwater swim every few weeks and longer intervals in the pool as mentioned earlier.

3 Likes

Hi Norman,

Congratulations on the Vichy and Kona results!

I did some quick maths on the Vichy numbers in the podcast, have I got this right?

FTP 350, NP245 so you put in 0.7 IF for a sub 4:33 bike split?

I’ve been looking at Joe Friel’s article from 2012 and just wondered if how you felt getting off the bike, as his chart would have you as “left a little on the table”!

Cheers Joe

Hi Joe,

thanks!
Yes, it’s basically right. I think my FTP for Vichy was slightly lower than 350 but not by much though.
So it’s maybe more like 340.
Nonetheless, you are right that according to the Friel chart (that I know as well of course) it should have been basically an easy walk in the park.

As I execute all of my hard workouts (and ftp tests) on the turbo trainer with a normal road bike it seems to me that the “TT position FTP” is slightly lower. I reckon the solution could be to have two different FTP records for indoor and outdoor but it always seemed to me too much of an overhead and stress for little extra information. Instead, I just have my indoor FTP which is used for Trainerroad workouts and for outdoor I lower my expectations by a few percent.

For pacing an Ironman:
In my opinion you get a pretty good idea how hard is too hard if you regularly do some TT workouts outdoor.
My go-to long ride in the last 10 weeks is something like 6x30min (with 10min rest) or 3-4x60min (15min rest) in Ironman tempo. If that’s way too much suffering in training I wouldn’t really dare to try it in my A-race.
Back when I started with triathlon, I usually gave basically all I got on the bike because it’s great fun to ride fast. However, in the last few years I learned to rather pace a bit more conversatively, push on the last hour of the bike split and then run fast. It’s just even more fun to pass a lot of people in the last bits of the race. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Hello @norman
Congratulations on a very good performance! Also enjoyed listening to the podcast. Question: Did you average ~240W for the superb 4:49 bike split?

Cheers

Hi,
it was 234W NP and I dwindled quite heavily on the last 30km with ~220W.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply! Quite impressive and informative to get these numbers. I am quite far away from being able to hold that kind of power for the IM bike leg but it gives an idea of what power potentially can produce a certain time. Of course, aero drag is a big thing and there I guess almost anyone that has not been to a wind tunnel could potentially benefit; me included :slight_smile:

Cheers and good luck going forward!