Kolie Moore's FTP test protocol

Yeah you learn the hard way I guess. I’m at 250 right now and now I checked my first 10 minutes was at 248 so clearly way too high. Today I’m aiming for 240 for first 10 and then 255 for the 15 min block and see where I end up. Yesterday I did it all in resistance but to keep me true to it I think today I’ll do the first 10 in erg to curb my enthusiasm and then switch out and go on feel for the rest of it.

1 Like

Have you listened to the most recent Empirical Cycling podcast? If not I would advise you do. Having looked at your previous attempt I don’t believe your FTP is as high as 255 so there is no point aiming for that during the 15 min block. I would just start your effort at 240, and then slowly lift the effort until you feel like you’re riding at FTP and then hold that for as long as possible.

4 Likes

Yep, you’re no doubt correct, I’ll save it for another day, not feeling it today, started it but I knew I wasnt going to get to the end again. I’ll stick with what I have for the next 4 weeks of my plan.

I have listened to it yes.

1 Like

Are there any TR groups I can join with this testing format created?

I found them to be very very different. Perhaps similar effort, but different types of RPE, if that makes sense. In the last 5 minutes of the ramp test, I feel like I’m drowning, gasping for every last bit of air. In a TTE test my breathing is hard but regular, and the fatigue in the legs creeps up on you, but you can just tell yourself “20 more breaths, OK well done, another 20 breaths” until your legs just won’t give any more.

I’m way more afraid of the pain at the end of a ramp test than the pain at the end of my TTE.

7 Likes

Thanks.

1 Like

A little embarrassed to post my failure, but doing it anyway. This was my first attempt at a Kolie Moore FTP test. I knew I wanted to try because I under-perform on ramp tests and really don’t want to do 20 minutes at 105%. Everyone here makes the test not seem all that bad, and provides accurate results.

I did @alexgold123’s baseline test, as I did not anticipate an increase in FTP. I knew the test wouldn’t be all that great right when I finished the 10 minutes at 96%, but attempted to chug along as best I could. I remembered reading above about someone not making the 25 minute time and just treating it like a 20 minute test, so I figured I would do that in the worst case scenario. Which happened!

Initially I was disappointed as I had just conquered disaster -2 at 215w FTP so for my new FTP to drop to 201w seemed a little staggering. Buuuut I did take 9 full days off the bike before getting back in to training this previous Tuesday. I did 4x12 and 2x20 at 90% earlier this week and I would say they were quite challenging at 8-9/10 RPE, above sweet spot RPE for me which I usually give like a 6-7/10.

So I’ve only read 250 of the 520 comments in this thread thus far, so forgive me if this has been answered…how frequently can I test? I mean, it’s akin to a threshold workout and doesn’t feel all too bad afterwards, so I would imagine it would more than okay to retest within a week.

My plan would be to do a couple more sweet spot workouts this week (I’m doing a custom SS progression) at the 201w FTP. In the past, if those workouts felt a bit too easy I’d simply bump my FTP up. But this time, if they are in fact too easy, I would like to retest because I don’t know if I’m really sure what SS vs threshold should feel like right now.

I also wanted to mention as others have as well, that this test really does make you not as scared to do those future long SS and threshold workouts because you know what you are capable of! After lowering my FTP, I’m very excited to now be able to accurately test and see progress from this point.

3 Likes

As frequently as it takes your body to adapt to the training.

1 Like

I’m pretty sure Alex designed his TR versions of the tests with the idea you would’ve made some marginal FTP gains after a block of training prior to testing. His percentages are based on target FTP being slightly higher than your existing FTP if I’m not mistaken, so if you expect that your FTP stayed the same, then you would be working at higher percentages of target FTP than you should be if you’re following the test prescription. That’s my understanding anyhow, but I could be very wrong. I’ve been purely an eager observer and learner in this thread and really only started dabbling in testing this way.

2 Likes

Could somebody offer some perspective on this? thanks. H

1 Like

Most people find it a lot easier to put out steady power on an incline due to the natural resistance.

You really have to keep things in check if you’re testing on the flat and/or trainer.

2 Likes

There are several options. His baseline test puts you at 99.66% at the end of the 15 minute block at 102%. I intentionally chose this one for that reason.

Great! Next weekend it is! As I do really like this testing.

It’s not only a test but also a very solid workout.

And to be serious, I think KM said on the latest podcast that testing should be every 8 weeks or so.

If the watts feel right for the workout, then I’ll totally hold off doing to the test.

I’m just happy that I’m not so worked up or dreading a test now!

1 Like

Attempting the Progression 1 test tomorrow morning instead of the ramp test on the schedule. Going resistance mode as I want to feel my FTP.

I’m excited! Looking forward to seeing where my FTP is plus my TTE which I want to start using as an improvement metric in my training

Didn’t think I’d ever say that I’m excited before an FTP test.

2 Likes

Don’t hold me to that. Maybe in that podcast I didn’t get it across as well as I wanted that you may want to read other signals that you’re improving before doing another test. I think most people I’m coaching right now have only done… two? tests this year. Maybe up to three.

1 Like

At the end of TR ramp test, I was nauseous as if seasick. At end of KM test (outside) today, I was extremely tired and depleted but still able to ride 8 miles back to my car at a relatively normal pace. The KM FTP was 20 points higher than my recent TR Ramp Test of 211. Also, the result was 10 points higher than previous indoor KM test using erg mode. I plan to use KM instead of ramp going forward. Overall, pleased with progress for a 68-year old cyclist.

7 Likes

First time doing the KM Progression 1 test today after my first 4 week training block with TrainerRoad. Very happy with the result. Followed it up with 70 minutes of Endurance work.

FTP: 275w to 292w (+17w / +6.2%)
WEIGHT: 73.2kg to 71.8kg (-1.4kg / -1.95%)
W/KG: 3.76w/kg to 4.07w.kg
TTE: 30min 30sec

First time engaging with structured training and first time in the 4w/kg territory for me. Pumped! I haven’t ever been in this territory before. It seems trusting ‘the process’ is well and truly paying off. I have definitely learnt a lot about myself physically and mentally as a cycler the last month.

To those new to the protocol here are my musings:

• I found this a much better way to test FTP than the ramp test. As others have said in this thread, it was intense and you push yourself, but I found that I felt a lot better off the bike and more ‘refreshed’ per-say. Can see myself recovering a lot better from this test than the ramp test.

• I also like getting the TTE metric alongside the FTP metric because that is something that I would like to focus on as well in my training. You don’t get that with a ramp test so that is another positive for doing a test like this.

• I did the test on Resistance mode and chose to not do it in ERG mode. I have been toying with doing it on or off ERG mode and decided to do it in Resistance mode as per the KM article and being able to ‘feel’ your FTP etc. Found it to be a very useful way of doing it. For me anyway - just my N=1. Others prefer it in ERG mode.

• The previous week was an Endurance week where I did noting but 10hrs in Zone 1 (Sieler Zones) but I had the weekend off so came into the test with a full 2 day break.

• I usually ride fasted but fuel for VO2 and Anaerobic sessions - pasta the night before and fruit and toast before the sessions. I fueled the same way for the Progression 1 test this morning.

All in all, I will be using the KM Progressions for the FTP tests moving forward. Thanks @empiricalcycling for making his thoughts and learnings public and also to @alexgold123 for making the tests in his workout group.

10 Likes