Kolie Moore's FTP test protocol

I just signed up with coach kolie and finished my first week. I’m Really appreciating the guidance! We identified the glaring flaw in my tte and yeah we’re pushing that out in the custom plan and preparing for my upcoming races.

Honestly i was always afraid to push tte out. (Step up the volume like that). afraid of overtraining syndrome or something. But i trust that if i keep him informed about my rpe and how I’m feeling that he can tell me when to pull back and or rest.

I have high hopes.

5 Likes

This is obviously a real thing, but for most people, and I think it may have been Friel who said it, it is very difficult to achieve a state of actual overtraining.

Keep us updated on your Kolie experience! :+1:

2 Likes

Be prepared for the 4h+ endurance ride prescription.

1 Like

Ha well i like endurance rides… they are important! perhaps I don’t realize just how harmful my maclure rides were when I was riding endurance at a power prescribed by some TR algorithm when in reality riding by feel makes more sense.

You’re working with him? How many hours per week are you putting in?
My first week with him jumped a little bit in hours… from what I was doing straight to near my limit.
listing my weekly hours over the last 7 weeks:
5.5, 6.3, 6.5, 8.66, 9.2, 4.9 (rest&test), and last week first week with coach: 10.9

Seemed doable but i’m feeling it…

1 Like

I’ve been doing 8-13 hours or so. About 5000kj/week right now. I’m recovering from an injury though so it is all threshold/endurance time.

Just be sure to communicate. He’s not telepathic. If you have concerns raise them and ask for clarification. He knows what he’s doing.

1 Like

I did Ramp test last week (215W) and Kolie Moore test today for the first time (216W). I only scored one watt higher on Kolie Moore test, but I’ll take it! While longer than ramp test, I actually enjoyed the Kolie Moore test more as it helped me better evaluate TTE and didn’t seem quite as painful as the ramp test.

I know my response echoes some of what @eric1a2krueger said a few days ago, but wanted to weigh in to confirm that I’m in agreement with Kolie Moore test being my preferred testing method moving forward.

5 Likes

So I’ve read this whole thread but may have missed this answer.

I’m planning on maybe using this test in a week and a half after my next rest week. And I understand that your new FTP should be the average of the test section. However, if you go in with an FTP that is maybe artificially inflated how do you handle that to get a more accurate number? If you only last maybe 20 or so minutes how do you derive your new FTP? Just by feel from the test or maybe a multiplier similar to the classic 20min test?

I think my current FTP is relatively accurate so hopefully I don’t have this issue but I just wanted to know before hand if I do run into this scenario.

1 Like

I think the idea is to not go too hard to begin with, so perhaps aim for a little under your current ftp with the intention of ramping it up or look at you PDC (Power Duration Curve) to see what power you can hold for different lengths of time.

Classic test is first 5’ max intensiteit and the 20’ max. This makes a big difference

It depends :wink:

If you are a puncheur type (high anaerobic capacity)of rider it can be around 88%. If youre anaerobic capacity is very low, it can be 95%. But i would start on the low side (88%), under the assumption that the test was under good conditions and well rested

here’s a good workout!

sometimes kolie’s prescriptions fall in line with the pre-made TR workouts… but not often.

lol

1 Like

You could teach @chris21 a thing or two about how to ride Gray…seems they’ve fallen apart as of late.

3 Likes

haha… i noticed that it seems to be an often failed workout… yeah

You have to pace and assess during the test. If your current wattage feels unsustainable then drop down during the ride, aim to hold whatever wattage you can for the longest. You have to make adjustments during the workout based on how you feel. It would be better to dial it back 5w and hold for 45 min than to attempt to hold a higher number and only get 20.

20 min isn’t really going to give you a lot of useful info on what your TTE is.

i’ve heard in kolie’s podcasts on FTP tests and i’m trying to paraphrase here… that “when you’re riding at FTP… your breathing should be relatively controlled…no overly heavily panting or desire to hyperventilate… but your leg muscles on the other hand… the muscles should be screaming…”

They’re following a wild plan… For the last 4 years they’ve seemingly only done the workouts Raymond (4x5-minute repeats at 108% FTP), Gray, and the Hour Record. Dedication. Hah

1 Like

Not only the same workouts but also using the same FTP. But also, on the Gray’s that he seemingly ‘fails’ (almost all of them) his HR barely cracks 145 most of the time. It’s definitely interesting.

2 Likes

very wierd training going on over there on the chris21 career…

I did this for a few months last summer/fall before I mentally needed a break from the same routine. Physically, I was fine. You will get stronger both physically and mentally. 20min power will go up. But, bike racing is much more than 20min power. After the first month or so, instead of the second 2x20 day I would do something longer like Lola, do a free ride effort of 1x40, or a race on Zwift. I needed to break up the monotony.

YMMV

I have said I didn’t like the podcast of Kolie Moore very much in the other thread. However, to give credit where it’s due - I did enjoy the FTP test protocol (as much as one can enjoy a test) and written about it in my training summary post.

And go team Gold (thanks Alex for the workout)!