Kickr Snap Lost Resistance

This morning after completing Geiger -5 as prescribed, I decided to tack on a few extra minutes in “standard” mode to get in a sprint or two. About 20 seconds into a 30 second effort around 500 W, I heard what I thought was my tire going flat. You know that dreaded “psst” sound. Just as I was getting to the end of the effort, the resistance dropped to basically zero. I started coasting and, to my surprise, the wheel just kept spinning. I manually slowed the wheel down and then I realized my tire was not flat at all, and the reason I had trouble stopping the wheel was due to the flywheel inertia. I noted the trainer was warm, but I don’t think any warmer than what I typically see after doing some longer, sustained efforts. (2x12 @ ~300 W in this case). I put the trainer back in erg mode and started spinning again, and it was struggling to hold 50 W (target power was 136 W at that point).

I had to hop off the trainer and get ready for work, so I wasn’t able to look into this more, but I’m afraid I just broke my trainer! Has anyone ever had a similar experience with their Wahoo Kickr Snap?

Here’s my ride file: https://www.trainerroad.com/career/jpbjorn/rides/65217679-geiger-5

Thanks!

1 Like

Finally got a minute to check things out more thoroughly. I updated the firmware. No improvement. Then I tried a spin down calibration, and it wouldn’t show any speed (ie 0.0 mph). So then I figured it was the optical sensor. After disassembling the unit I found the optical “mirror” sticker was gone! So the noise I heard that I thought was my tire deflating was the optical sticker peeling off and running for a moment.

Going to get some new tape which should fix the issue. I will post an update when it’s working so anyone searching the forum in the future with the same issue can find this.

3 Likes

Looks like it worked! Speed is reading now thanks to some new tape. I will probably give it a real test during my toddler’s nap time today. Hopefully the tape stays put :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

It worked! :slightly_smiling_face: https://www.trainerroad.com/career/jpbjorn/rides/65329275-winchell

1 Like

Nice fix! good to know and keep on mind if this happens to mine…

1 Like

I know this is a three year old post but I just wanted to say thanks! You saved me from buying a new trainer. I heard a pop and was sure the capacitor blew or there was some mechanical failure. I threw some foil tape in there and works great now!

2 Likes

Awesome, glad it was useful!

Looking at this ride file I posted back then… man I was FIT! Have another kids since then, too! Haha

1 Like