Kickr Core > Aluminum dropout wear?

Is it just me, or does anyone find that using a direct drive trainer is wearing their aluminum dropouts down? Every time I pull my bike off there seems to be a bit of metal powder on the dropouts.

The quick release is properly tightened, but the QR adapters for my Kickr Core have a bit of free play and I think this might be causing the frame to be able to move.

I have been painting the bare metal of the dropouts with nail polish in an attempt to slow down the wear.

I had a separate issue where my bike seemed to lean in the trainer when attached by QR. Wahoo advised that the QR skewer needs to be clamped down extra tight - that is, beyond the usual “let it leave a mark in your palm” advice. I’ve never noticed the dust but I’m sure I had the same issue if my QR skewer wasn’t properly tight.

Firstly, I’m going to assume your bike has vertical dropouts.

If this is the case, then the only movement that would cause movement and therefore wear would be vertical movement of the bike on the trainer, or excessive side to side twisting. Do either of these sound like things that you could be doing on a regular basis?

I have a Kickr core also and was surprised how sloppy the adaptors were in the Kickr itself (I’m using thru axle) but Wahoo told me that they’re designed this way to allow the bike to move when used alongside the Kickr Climb.

What constitutes “properly tightened” to you? Could you experiment with going a bit tighter and seeing if the problem continues?

Haven’t noticed such issues with my Hammer trainers and aluminum dropouts on my Emonda.

The general guideline for tightening QR skewers is that you should need to use the frame or fork or the body of the trainer to tighten them.

I used to store my bike in an upright position on my trainer (in the case of the Tacx Flux it actually was definitely wearing on my dropouts). I think the sloppy adapters might be causing some noise that didn’t occur when I have used other trainers. It also causes some ambiguity regarding frame alignment.

A bike in a trainer is going to move and flex to some degree or another, but most of the movement is the trainer flexing or moving on your trainer mat, I think.

I think it’s just easy to misalign the bike since the adapters fit into the trainer’s body so loosely. I have had this happen before. I left marks on my dropouts. Of course, I have done while riding the bike before, too… I didn’t notice until I realized the bike wasn’t shifting right.

The Kickr is STILL slowly wearing my dropouts down.

I think I will try applying JB Weld as sacrificial material.