JOIN cycling app

Do you also get faster?

My first plan ends tomorrow and using their eFTP I’m up 15ish watts. I’m happy with that considering I was in fairly good shape going into winter.

Haven’t pushed myself on any PRs outside (legs are beat at the end of this phase) but I do feel stronger.

With the weather turning better I find myself outside more than on the trainer so I’ll probably cancel at this point but for sure re-up next offseason.

4 Likes

It’s silly, but with the latest update the push notification when an activity has been imported has made my experience that much more nicer. No more having to open the app every so often to see if it has imported.

2 Likes

Anyone know if you can rename the join workouts, and in which app? I export them to my Garmin, which only really shows the start of the name, and since they all start with "Join Cycling - ", it is hard to distinguish the workouts on there. Also I’m pretty sure some workouts actually have the same name.

You can’t rename them in JOIN itself. You’d be changing the name in Garmin (if that is supported). I know for sure it is supported in TrainingPeaks.

Can’t see how in Garmin connect. Might need to set up the TP route then.

Thanks!

I tried the Garmin route out of curiosity and promptly went back to TrainingPeaks. It’s just easier imo.

1 Like

You can rename them if you use Xert

This caught me out today. I had a workout last week 10min intensive endurance. I had the same workout pop up today so didn’t export it again only to realise after the workout one is a 45 minute version and one is an hour long. Didn’t really matter cause I did an hour on both rides anyhow and the intensity wasn’t any different between the 2.

I can see my garmin workout library filling up, it’s already got several TR outdoor workouts in there.

I’ve tried and tested Join for about half a year, coming back after aFib and a cardioversion. Done TR for event preparations the 2 years before that. Both have their pro and cons. Personally I just got back to TR due to the workout player, and the bootstrap company factor, though TR is more expensive, I don’t get a product that is sponsored in and out, the updates (especially in the Beta program are significant and fast).

Join does a good job, especially when flexibility comes in play, but since time and being consistent makes me plan my week about the same every week, for me this flexibility is not so much a factor.

The only thing I do since I trained with Join, is lowering a little of the threshold and replace this with endurance and VO2Max workouts. For a little more polarised approach. Which seem to work for me. In TR the progression levels make this super easy, and this makes me come back to TR.

So after some wandering around, I got back to TR, knowing how green the grass is at the neighbours. I think both podcasts (ask a cycling coach and beter worden (Dutch spoken, are my favourite in the feed of podcasts I listen to) but in the end TR does the job better for me. And that’s just me.

8 Likes

For those of you using JOIN with TR, I am curious how you are incorporating TR… Is it just for the workout player or are you using other aspects too like AI FTP?

1 Like

AI FTP Still works, though I am moving away from it as I feel that it gives me a higher ftp than I actually have (I believe in a another conversation about AI FTP there were several comments, that it is a good value for TR training plans, not the real world)

Progression Levels got “wacked” by external workouts, but can still be handy (if you use the progression level on the workout rather than comparing it to your progression levels)

1 Like

Workout player released this morning on iOS. Tried it for a few minutes to see if it technically works with the trainer and it does. It was the obvious missing link for this app and not having to export files can save some time. Not sure I like the ‘gauge’ user interface - very much used to a graph - but too early to call. Nice to see the heart-rate option for when travelling.

1 Like

I don’t know if I’ll ever use the workout player, but I’m happy those who like such things have it. I’m more looking forward to running though.

I had a go with today. Obviously early days but I don’t think TR has much to worry about

1 Like

Today was the first day of outdoor riding here, and I think I can say that my use of JOIN over the winter certainly had an impact. Climbs that were problematic before now aren’t. I’m diggin’ it.

2 Likes

I’ve been using Join pretty much exclusively outdoors, I’ve done one indoor workout since I started a month or so ago. For me, I’m enjoying it more than TR. It seems to have the flexibility/adaptability simplified in a way that just works better for me, I’ve really been able to ramp up my volume.

I did a 3 and a half hour workout yesterday and those workouts just don’t show up in TR unless you’re doing high volume. Problem with TR for me is I want my weekdays to be low volume and my weekends to be high volume.

The price is more inline with my budget too.

5 Likes

Anybody know how to delete an activity in Join? I accidentally added one twice but I don’t see a way to delete activities.

Also, if anybody wants an invite for 4 weeks to try Join, let me know or send me a DM. I don’t know how many it lets me share, but I’ll share until they’re gone.

Go to Edit Feedback - Remove Feedback then go back to the activity Hit “How did it go”. Then you can delete the activity

Mine showed up twice yesterday. I deleted one, but it deleted both of them. It seems to have kept the data for the training plan though, it still shows up as feedback with “strava ride”, but the map and info about it as gone. Maybe a glitch with their server?