Joe X’s Five Nines Workout Evaluator(TM)

Joe X’s Five Nines Workout Evaluator™

So you did a workout, but did you get all you could out of it? Was it 100% of the available benefit? Was it the right interval/zone/shape/colour/flavour of workout?

For the love of all things good - how can we know?

Fear not! With Joe X’s patented Five Nines Workout Evaluator™ and five simple questions you can Know Exactly how effective your workout was, and rest easy, or fret continuously, as applies.

There Is No 100% Effective. But there is 99.999%.

Ask yourself each question in turn. The first question gives you the first Nine, the second the second and so on. If you are answering Yes of course:

1. Did you do a workout?
  2. Did you do this workout without effecting your next workout?
  3. Did you eat and drink properly?
  4. Did you sleep properly?
  5. Did you do the workout in-line with any current school of thought on training, without any breaks or interruptions?

So, if you did a workout that’s 90%, if you were fit and healthy for the next workout, that’s the second nine and 99%. You are eating well and sleeping well…that’s two more for Nines but you had to take a breather? That’s a zero. You scored 99.990% Better luck next time!

14 Likes

Is this the 99,999 zone model!?

Seriously though, very good.

1 Like

falling asleep during an outside workout is nearly a 100% guarantee that I’ll need to skip the next workout, or next several workouts… Perhaps it is different for inside workouts? :wink:

2 Likes

you can fall asleep indoors. Erg mode will make sure you keep pedaling.

2 Likes

Clearly I need to move my Kickr to the bedroom!

:rofl: Thanks for the levity break. There does seem to be a great deal of fretting over properly executing workouts on the forum lately. Somehow there is an impression out there that there is exactly one way to properly execute a workout and if you take more than a 4 minute break or if you accidently touch zone 4 more than 3 times that you could potentially ruin all your gains.

Just go look at the pro’s workouts. They ride outside (horror). Over hills where sometimes they have to go above zone 2 (just give up) and sometimes they stop for coffee breaks (I can’t believe they call them pros, don’t they know the gains they are foregoing?)

3 Likes

Let’s try to keep this near the top of the threads list so everyone has the chance to read it. Too good, @JoeX !!!

1 Like

I will generalize here…a lot on this forum, myself included, overthink our workouts and our cycling.

1 Like

I find this whole thread entirely too dismissive and comical for my current frame of mind. I’m having problems with threshold levels 5-6 and all of your lack of assumptions don’t jive with my presumption and perfectionism!

Thanks all!

2 Likes