Its a sad day to be an American

There is a mute button bruh.
You can CHOSE not to see this.
You can move on if you want.

3 Likes

I will not tolerate any triathlon related discussions. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

10 Likes

I never said that…but the actions of some members of the CP speak for themselves. Some fought and tried to hold the lines…others opened then up and walked away.

1 Like

Not the point, but thank you.

While I don’t speak for Ivy or TR specifically, I think I have the gist of the answer here. Any of them are free to correct me if the statements below are incorrect.

Yes, the core of this group is about cycling and triathlon. But it is not explicitly restricted to that either (despite what some seem to take from the wording you quoted).

The existence and use of the “Uncategorized” category (oxy moron there :wink: ) is done as the “Off-Topic” area. It contains discussion on a wide range of topics, mostly unattached to cycling or triathlon tangentially if at all.

This discussion and the other ones that parallel it (Things have to change, Covid/Virus, etc.) exist in the category since they don’t fit anywhere else. This Uncategorized area has tons of stuff, like any other “proper name” category. So, just like in any other category, people are free to take part in or ignore any thread.

7 Likes

Didn’t you start the “things need to change thread” ?
I dont get it…

1 Like

The actions of the day also raise troubling concerns about the treatment of mainly white Trump supporters who were allowed to roam through the building for hours, while Black and brown protesters who demonstrated last year over police brutality were faced more robust and aggressive policing.

3 Likes

Well, to be clear, I’m pointing out that when you see the last couple of seconds of that clip it very briefly shows the North vehicle entrance to the Capitol grounds off of Constitution Ave. There is a guard shack and then nearer the camera you can see a vehicle barrier next to a round planter. You can walk right between the barrier and the planter and it appears that’s what many of the protestors had already done.

Never ascribe to malice that which is adequately explained by incompetence - Hanlon’s Razor

1 Like

I did, to keep it out of every other thread. But here we are again.

5 Likes

To be fair.
That was the Lincoln Memorial. Totally different.

1 Like

That’s the Lincoln Memorial and it was after about a week of ongoing riots in DC.

1 Like

Not the point, but cool story.

1 Like

And yesterday occurred after weeks of organization, rhetoric and advance planning on social media…not to mention Trump dousing the place with gasoline in advance…but yeah, they got totally surprised.

4 Likes

If anything. Make things worse. They LE presence on a monument were MUCH MUCH better than to protect the capitol yesterday.

3 Likes

Has to be said:

They were not expecting mostly WHITE protestors doing this.
They always expect BLACK/BROWN/MINORITY protests to end like they did yesterday.
But tell me how there is not a racial bias.

So the options were:
People in change of Capitol Security are incompetent because either

1. Racist
  2. They wanted this to happen.

Pick one. Those are the only options I can think.

2 Likes

No, it doesn’t look good, but USCP doesn’t make many decisions in a vacuum. Throughout the summer there were calls to disperse the National Guard and other outside LEOs and accusations of militarization of the police, so I’m sure there’s plenty of sensitivity all around. Ultimately, they were clearly unprepared and perhaps just not up to the task. Government incompetence isn’t a new thing, unfortunately.

But I also know that USCP has repeatedly made recommendations to Congress on erecting permanent barriers/fencing in order to control these type of situations. Congress has consistently objected as they want it to have an “open campus” feel.

Still doesn’t answer the question. Why have a policy and then not enforce it? Why not change the policy? What’s the point? Maybe I will ask Nate on his business podcast why he would set policy and then allow it to be broken. Probably good best practices case study type material in that one.

I’m totally onboard with the government incompetence angle (9/11 anyone?), but refuse to bite on conspiracy theories.

For clarity, can you show the precise policy of interest?

• I am not seeing anything I take as explicit as I think you are taking it.

• I likely won’t have an answer, so just trying to narrow down the specifics for @IvyAudrain to address.

1 Like