Issue with Di2 charge brick SM-BCR2

Hi all,

My Di2 charge brick (SM-BCR2) does not light up at all when I plug it into the charge port on my bike. I have a feeling the charge brick has been broken for some time because my shifting dies this morning in the middle of a trainer session, despite having been plugged into the charge brick a couple nights before.

The funny thing is, I was able to run the e-tube software a couple nights ago with the bike connected to my PC via the charge brick. I’m wondering if anyone has any way to tell if the charge brick is borked or if I need to hunt around in my bike to see if there’s a loose connection.

Thanks!

Have you tried a different USB cable? And a different adapter block?
The adapter should provide 1A or higher…

Generally speaking, if there is no light at all then it’s either:

• fully charged
  • not charging at all :smiley:
  • cannot find a battery to charge

Since you say your bike was shifting fine that seems to suggest everything is connected. Still, it’d be worth a shot checking whether or not things are still connected.

The easiest way is to connect the bike to a windows computer. This will then list all components it thinks are connected. If there’s anything missing then you’ll know what’s up ;-).

If you’re using E-Tube Project 4.0.3 you’ll have to look at the components displayed in the update/upgrade screen (not the maintenance screen).
If you’re using E-Tube Project 3.4.5 it will list the connected components right after doing the ‘connection check’.

Hi, I just picked a new to me 2015 bike with ultegra Di2.
I tried plugging the charger in, no light on the charger ever comes on, thought the charger is bad. I checked the battery status seems to be fully charged, from the manual it says it could cause lights not to come on…
However I also download E-tube 3.4.5, on connection check I plugged the charger in there is no response at all on my laptop, and no light on the charger - so I still suspect the charger is bad. What is supposed to happen when you plug the charger into a computer? Should the light come on? The computer should register a USB device I imagine?

When you plug the charger in and run e-tube project 3.4.5 and run the ‘connection check’, it should connect to the bike.

Does yours not connect at all?
If you have a friend with 11-speed Di2, I’d try their charger, see how that goes (and let them try your charger). A local bike shop would probably have a spare charger too.

This is the easiest way to figure out whether or not the charger is faulty :slight_smile:

Yeah, I tested with my friend’s charger would light up when plugged into my bike. So definitely a charger problem.
Although, when I plug my friend’s charger into my laptop which has e-tube 3.4.5 installed, it still doesn’t seem to connect to the bike, it just stuck in that connection check page, with no pop-up or anything when I connect the USB.

I have mirrored the Windows 10/11 drivers for the SM-BCR2 here: Di2 Non-series components SM-BCR2 - Internal Battery Charger / PC linkage device details (scroll down a bit to “windows drivers”)

I’ve never actually needed those drivers, but maybe it helps :slight_smile: