Is using TR on your bike computer the better alternative to a Smartphone?

Hmm, :thinking: why doesn’t that work for me when I’m hanging onto wheels…

Hmm, I don’t think I’ve considered this before. Does it have to be the outdoor version?

If my Garmin controlled the trainer over ant+ it could make my life simpler.

Well that’s more like outside, undulations in the road and minor wind shifts and what not. I’ve grown to largely dislike Erg because instead of reinforcing positive real-world cycling behaviors, it fosters unnatural conditions.

When I evaluated Zwift for 3-4 months my preference was sim mode on a flat course AND watching a movie or listening to a podcast. The Zwift graphics and ghosting thru other riders do nothing for me. Didn’t like it enough to pay $ for it, so I dropped it.

For me, its because on days with longer intervals, SS and such, or easy workouts I like watching TV and not paying any attention to how hard i should be working. For threshold and above stuff, its not actually an issue as I prefer resistance but i really enjoy the days I just set it and go.

I tried embracing both “inside is for working out” and Erg mode, for close to two years. And ended up here, where I do workouts both inside and outside. I’m simply not on the same page regarding mindset.

Yes, so far you can only push the outdoor version of a workout to your bike computer.

1 Like

We good, and I’ve been on both sides of the Erg vs resistance for extended periods. Some people like myself immediately start with Erg on a smart trainer. Erg as a game changer has been oversold IMHO - I can multitask just as easily in resistance mode.

Curious as to what type of wattage you are able to get up to on the rollers? I have an old set of American Classics and can barely get them up to 200 watts in the 53x11

I have Quick Motion Rollers which offer three resistance levels, therefore plenty of wattage possible.
I ride only in Level 1 and this is absolutely sufficient for my Ftp 239 and Z2 approach where I ride mostly between 130 and 180 Watts

True, the Ramp test is a challenge though, but I do not care so much about the result.

1 Like

Hi Ivy, do you know if they’re looking at making Indoor workouts pushable to Garmin, and that they are marked on completion, or just one of the two?

Hey! I dont think that pushing indoor workouts to head units is on the roadmap at the moment, but I’ll definitely keep you all updated if something changes!
I’ll bump that to the team as a ‘Feature Request’. :+1:

2 Likes