Is Baxter supposed to be done fasted/unfueled?

So I read in the ‘Goals’ portion of the workout description for Baxter that “Primarily, all versions of Baxter are about increasing your aerobic fitness by growing your body’s ability to utilize fat for energy and spare sugar stores.”

Should I construe this to mean this workout is intended to be done without carb fueling before and/or during the ride? Am I setting myself up for a soul-crushing failure if I do this?

Coach Chad mentions… don’t starve.
I would have a light breakfast before the workout…
but probably would not have anything to eat during the ride…just water.

1 Like

Baxter is 90min. If its your first foray into fasted rides it could feel like it is beating you up pretty hard.
You can do 1 of 2 things;

1. Go to a shorter workout and start with those fasted to get used to it
  2. Do the first part fasted and start taking on some fuel at the 1hr mark if you start to feel it’s really getting to you.
4 Likes

No.

“spare” sugar stores means not use them, not not have them

4 Likes

Eat, train, sleep, repeat…

3 Likes

@Nate_Pearson has this one dialed in.

1 Like

Not necessarily. Z2 work is a stimulus for increasing your fat burning abilities in itself. I think a lot of people confuse that with a necessity to do those in a glycogen depleted state, but fasted rides are just one of many tools you can use with their own set of potential benefits and drawbacks.

By all means do it fasted if it works for you, but it’s not a requirement, or the primary reason for the adaptations you receive as a result of that workout. Endurance training is the most reliable way to improve your aerobic capacity, so your first priority should be performing and recovering well.

2 Likes

There is definitely a train of thought amongst coaches that you fuel your very hard workouts and your recovery rides (as in very very easy rides) and these endurance rides of up to 2 hours you can practice the carb sparing by not fuelling specifically for them in advance or during them.

1 Like

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned here: If it’s an easy ride as part of a hard week, or near the end of a build block, then I may well take on 60g maltodextrin during these types of ride just to keep on top of things.

4 Likes

I wanted to thank everybody for their input on this. I just finished up the workout about 15 minutes ago and wanted to share my thoughts while they’re fresh in my mind.
Since I usually do my rides and workouts fasted with just water to drink, (early morning guy here) I went ahead and did Baxter that way too. To give myself a safety net, I took the advice from @RONDAL and mixed up a big bottle of Roctane to have handy in case I started feeling bad but I never did - I had a sugar free green tea for some caffeine as I was getting set up and then drank about 1.5L of water during the workout.
If it had gone on much longer (or been planned to go on much longer) I’d have reached for the Roctane; my focus started to wander about 1:10 or 1:15 into in - had trouble paying attention to the cadence, which caused the power to wander (I was doing it in Resistance mode up until that point) so I clicked it over to Erg mode for the last 10 or15 before the cooldown started. I never felt bad physically, it was a concentration issue. I suppose it was combination of fatigue, low blood sugar, and my butt getting pretty tired/sore at that point.
I think I can/should apply this information to my outdoor rides (I only ride MTBs outdoors, with the occasional gravel jaunt) - for rides over an hour or so I should probably plan to have some carbs to keep the concentration up; seems like I might be able to avoid an otherwise dumb crash that way.

1 Like

If it’s any consolation, I dont do baxter or similar endurance rides on the trainer at all. They’re so dull, my mind wanders and that actually makes it feel harder to do than threshold work!

I do my recovery weeks outside for this reason.

1 Like

Word. Next week is my last of the HVSSB1 and Pettit was rough for me this morning even with a little breakfast beforehand.

1 Like

Pretty much my thoughts about the recovery/endurance rides - very much old school trainer territory. Baxter at 90mins is just about doable since the “intervals” are short but (looking at Traditional Base) workouts like Koip, I know it’s not recovery, at 2.5hrs must be mind (and bum) numbing :hot_face:

2 Likes

I’ve been doing 2 and 3 hr isopower zone 2 rides on the trainer to improve aerobic capacity
I was doing the 2hr rides fasted, but feel much better with some carbs on the bottles. As far as a sore bottom, I start standing after the first hr for a min or 2 e RT 15 min
I’ve seen power go up 15 watts for the same pulse
Books on tape are your friends.

1 Like

I was doing 3-4hr z2 rides on Sundays all last winter. The amount of TV (football) and movies i was able to demolish my way through was damn impressive. I found I needed to set a little timer on my garmin for 15min that just beeped as a reminder to stand for 10-15 pedal strokes just to give the undercarriage some relief.
I’ll tell you though, you will dial in your fit pretty damn quick doing those rides :rofl: