🎉🎉🎉 Introducing Plan Builder! 🎉🎉🎉

No. Set the start date for your new plan at the same time that your started the original plan. It will adjust and not make you repeat anything.

Here are some great resources you can review to cover all the functions.

1 Like

Thanks to all at TR for a really thoughtful tool.

I have one A race for the year, though the race is a series of nine crits scheduled over nine consecutive days. What would be the best way to handle this in Plan Builder if I’m targeting peak performance over the entire series? Would it be any different if I placed significance on any particular race (i.e., I want to do well over the full series, but day x in particular)?

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

one thing I would add is that as a beginner, if you complete ssb1LV with 100% adherence, there is a pretty good chance that you have gained enough FTP watts that you are beginning to be limited by VO2 max. the build plans do more to target VO2 max… so by taking a break from base to hit the VO2 max system, you leave yourself more room to grow FTP during SSB2LV…

Isaac

@Bryce before I go breaking my own plan builder plan that i set up in late december;

I am now through SSB1 and Gen Build 3wks, set to start SSB2 and then going through a full build and specialty.
Race dates have moved around and want to incorporate a training camp week as well.

If I add all the new dates into calendar, delete the existing fwd looking plans, and “redo” plan builder…what is the new plan builder going to take into account for historic training, and I assume it will take into account the new dates of events and camps?

Hey there @RONDAL,

The Plan Builder will not take into account your previous training at this time. What you will want to do is back-date your starting date to the date you originally started training. This will only add workouts past today, but it will take into consideration that you have been structured training for “X” weeks, and will plan accordingly. Depending on how much your event dates have changed, this may not line everything up perfectly, but you can tweak your start date a little bit to make things fit a bit better with some trial and error.

The Plan Builder will take into account all future events you have in your calendar though, and will accommodate appropriately.

Cheers!

I have created a training plan with Plan Builder a few months ago, and I have added a few races (including one A race) when I created the calendar.

Last weekend my team decided on which races to participate in, and I wanted to add a few additional B and C races to my calendar. The calendar suggested to adjust my training plan using Plan Builder.

I think I have encountered a bug. None of the races I am entering are A races — I have already picked my A race for this season — so the Next button stays grayed out. Moreover, my other races for this season are not displayed in the list of races, only the race I wanted to add.

Is that a known bug? Or am I doing something wrong?

Edited for clarification.

Not a bug, but a requirement. If you head down the race/event selection (as opposed to “no events” option), you MUST set one event as an “A” class event to proceed.

If you don’t really have an A event, choose whichever one you would place a higher priority or level of importance as the A. Otherwise, , I suggest setting the last event as the A.

I already have an A event scheduled for the season, I just wanted to add more C and B races to an existing plan.

OK. Somewhere on here is an explanation that I don’t fully remember. But I don’t think the recalculate is working now for non-A events. I will try a search, but maybe someone knows or can point to the right info too.

Yeah, sorry, my bad, my initial post was a bit vague, so I have edited it for clarification. I’d be fine if Plan Builder just deleted the workout for that day or not suggest that I adjust my training plan when I choose a priority other than A when adding a race in my calendar.

1 Like

I am moving from bike-only to triathlon-oriented training, so I tried to set up a new tri-oriented plan using PB. Previous bike-only plans worked like a treat, but I couldn’t make this one work and finally gave up. Here are my comments:

1. I’m just starting out as a runner and swimmer, but I have a year’s worth of training in cycling. There’s no way for me to adjust PB so I get harder bike workouts and easier run/swim workouts, it just assumes that I have similar ability levels in all three. I’m sure many/most people would appreciate some ability to tweak TSS for the three disciplines, even if it’s just a percentage bias to increase or decrease.

2. There’s a known PB bug where moving a workout to another day will cause it to disappear. That’s happening to my bike workouts with PB: I move Wednesday rides to Tuesday, then they disappear. But also, the “brick” workout that should have moved to Tuesday stays on Wednesday.

1. I’d also like to do a few 5K and 10K races as I progress in training, but there are ZERO running events in “race type”. I can’t understand how or why it would be that I can’t even specify that a B race is a run (5K, 10K, half-marathon, marathon). Gaping hole here.

2. While not strictly a PB issue, TR’s inability to import runs and swims from Strava or Garmin Connect – even just to have it in my calendar and have the TSS counted – makes the whole TR platform less valuable, because now I need to create a tri plan, manually execute those workouts outside or TR, manually mark them completed and assign TSS, and… it’s just easier to limit my use of TR to bike-only.

In the end, that’s what I’m doing for now. My running is coming from Garmin Connect, and my cycling is coming from a Wahoo ELEMNT. TR is only being used for indoor bike workouts, and unfortunately Strava is where my weekly volume gets seen. I’d much rather use TR as my training hub and just have Strava as my social network and training diary/blog, but TR just isn’t ready.

I know some (maybe all) of these things are being worked on, but please… consider whether they might be prioritized a little higher. Some of them, like simply adding some running race types to the selection box when adding events, are very easy fixes.

1 Like

Plan Builder question:

Long story short, due to covid, I was thinking about switching to high volume, but it won’t be forever… If I go into PB and change to HV, then back to MV in a month or whatever, will that cause any problems in the plan, or will it just adapt my current plan to HV?

Nope, that won’t cause any issues :slight_smile:

1 Like

Plan Builder is now live on our desktop beta apps!

2 Likes

I just used plan builder to recalculate my plan and it left all of the originally scheduled workouts on my calendar.

First I deleted the 2 remaining events from the calendar without updating the plan. Next I scheduled a new event within the bounds of my current plan (plan builder only offers to update the plan if the event falls within it.) On the initial plan builder page, I moved the event to a later date (outside the bounds of the current plan.) I confirmed all of my selections and updated the plan. When plan builder made the plan changes, it left all of the originally scheduled workouts on the calendar.

UPDATE: I failed to mention that the discipline of the new event I added is different than the discipline of the events I deleted.

Alright, I think I’m missing something here. It’s been a long time since I edited my plan and I just went to delete my current plan but do not see where to do so. How do we delete our plan builder plan now to start from scratch? If I remember correctly there used to be a trash can icon when you open up the training block to edit but it is not there anymore. TIA!

UPDATE: Never mind, I forgot you have to go back to the very beginning of you plan and click that annotation to delete. It would be really convenient if you could delete the whole plan from any annotation in the calendar.

Just today I thought that I wanted to have another look at plan builder again. But I guess it just isn’t the tool for me in it’s current incarnation.

I would like to be able to completely delete days in the schedule. But I can’t. I can just switch those days.

Example: based on my experience and reflecting the actual riding that I do plan builder recommends a high volume week with 4-6 rides a week. But it always comes in with a 6 day week.

It would be so cool (well, basically a requirement for me to use it) if I could just delete a day. Maybe drag the friday completely out of that window and it would poof. Maybe I want high volume, but can’t or don’t want to work out on Mondays and Fridays. Maybe I want Plan builder to “get it” and recognize: “Oh, ok, this user prefers blocks of 3 and then 2 days (weekend) in his work out week” and acts accordingly.

In the same vein it’s a bit disheartening to see that weekend units maxing out at two hours. Even if you select the “outside” button in the week schedule. Yes, I heard in one podcast your reasoning that most people can’t be convinced to ride longer then 2 hours on a trainer. And that one always could add other activities / edit them. But what use is a plan builder when it’s based on complete false assumptions on peoples preferences? Or when I knew I have to edit each and every week heavily (throw out a weekday, change every weekend activity etc.)?

TL/DR: Plan builder needs more flexibility to distribute a training volume across the week.

If you like Plan Builder watch the Dr Hutch version, i hope it does not make the TR team who built the tool too upset as this is the simple
Idea of a genius ! https://twitter.com/doctor_hutch/status/1242456257623142409?s=21

2 Likes

Question/feature request : Is it possible to put in a limit to the amount of time available to train per day? For example, I can put in 1hr30min each weekday and 3hr on a Saturday. Currently I have to load a plan and then each week swap out rides for minus versions if the specified workout is more than my available time. It would be great if Plan Builder could take into account this type of constraint.

Other than that I’m loving it!

2 Likes

The time cap is not possible, but has been requested multiple times, so TR is aware of the idea and have it on the wish list.

1 Like