🎉🎉🎉 Introducing AI FTP Detection 🎉🎉🎉

Joining the chorus, I also have a ramp scheduled tomorrow and no AI detect button. My last AI detect was 6/2 so it has been longer than 14 days. Maybe they made the change to 28 days on backend?

Interestingly I’m not entirely sure why AT put the previous ramp test on my calendar as it was mid-block. One day it just proposed an adaptation to replace a VO2 wo with a ramp. I could have done something to precipitate that but I can’t think of what.

Not sure this matters, but I wonder if setting a time for the Ramp test at the earliest time of the day would help push the button to activate sooner?

Good thought but didn’t work for me. Changing date to today did make it finally show for me but interestingly I swear I did that earlier and it didn’t work. Almost seems like the combination of setting the time to 12am AND today made the detect button finally show, which makes it seem like the schedule date had to be in the past instead of in the next 24. If that is true then that may be an inadvertent bug. I only share for the purposes of potential beta feedback, not to complain.

While I like many are eager to see what the result will be, my primary use case to do the detect the day before the scheduled ramp is because I know it will then replace the ramp with a scheduled workout. I intend to do that workout outdoors and want to get it sync’d with Garmin tonight so it’s on my head unit and ready to go so I’m not mucking with it at 5am tomorrow.

1 Like

Are you on the latest Beta app?

I set the date for mine to yesterday and it finally let me use the AI-FTPD. Weird and not sure what is up there. Still having a weird syncing issue with Garmin but might (most likely) be completely unrelated.

Hello,
I have “a question”:
Does it make a difference if I use AI-FTPD after completing my last hard workout before the scheduled ramp test (only 9 days of endurance easy week in between)? How about 2 days before the scheduled ramp test (only 48h of no training at all in between)?

Does this give me a lower ftp or would it be the same as if I only used it on the exact day of the scheduled ramp test?

Quick update: we just deployed some changes that will alter the minimum required data from 12 workouts to 10 workouts.

This means that in order to use AI FTP Detection, you will only need to complete 10 indoor TR workouts. This change will affect all athletes currently in Early Access as well as any who enable this feature from today forward.

Happy riding everyone!

12 Likes

Anyone else curious when TR activates AI FTP to update your FTP?
In my case, it’s been over 4 weeks since my last FTP update. Early Access is enabled. I have had combination of 15 indoor/outdoor workouts with power data.

Is there another condition that needs to be met? Yes. From reading posts above, needed to schedule Ramp Test.

2 Likes

Which timezone are you in?

Its only visible now 12h or 24h (I forget which) before the scheduled ramp. They brought that limit in at some point too.

Chicago

So I do most of my TR workouts outdoors. Does that mean I won’t be able to use AI FTP if I don’t do indoor workout.

The AI FTP button is not showing up any more. Just the ramp test.

UPDATE: we released the fix for this today!
Athletes should now see consistent visibility across apps for AI FTP Detection button if your Ramp Test is scheduled within 48 hours + is the next scheduled workout.

8 Likes

AI said 239 (I had my wife look and not tell me). I did 240.

I had more under normal circumstance, but it’s been a properly stressful week. Either way, good job AI.

5 Likes

Got offered the AI FTP yesterday for the first time, it said I went from 194 to 198. However after I did this, I changed the estimated time of this weekend’s upcoming race (by 15 mins lol) and it made me reset the whole plan and of course that meant it changed my alternate workout back to a ramp test… Did the ramp test and got 204, so a bigger jump than what AI FTP estimated and that was the day after a race. I am only on week 12 though so perhaps with more time the AI FTP will get more accurate for me.

1 Like

3% under … and under is better than over.

And your ramp test is only an estimate of where your FTP is at anyway. It’s no more “correct” or “accurate” than AI FTP or your eFTP from intervals.icu or whatever else.

Last time AI gave me 203 and I did the ramp test anyway and got 210 … so my AI FTP was also 3% under. I took the 210 because I was feeling great. Two and a half weeks into a sustained power build and it’s going fine. Pretty sure it would’ve gone fine at 203 as well. I’d still have been in the right zone for over/unders, for example.

Pretty sure I’ll accept whatever my AI FTP is next time, and have a lovely VO2 Max workout instead of the ramp test. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

@IvyAudrain, does “failing” a workout or multiple workouts affect AI FTP detection?

I have a custom workout that’s 2 hours at 50%. I like to schedule it on my non-interval days and ride it by feel. So I’ll adjust the intensity up and down based on how my legs feel, and I almost never actually ride the full 2 hours. It’s just a simple way to just hop on and ride. So inevitably I “fail” the workout every single time. Which means I have multiple “failed” workouts every week. Does this affect AI FTP detection and Adaptive Training? Curious how the system handles this.

When you get the “fail” survey do you respond with Time? That should tell AI you didn’t really fail the workout.

2 Likes

Actually I do. Didn’t know that choosing “Time” classifies it as successful. So I guess no harm then.

1 Like

So AI FTP ended up just about as wrong as I expected after a few weeks of 40k TT specialty and doing an hour effort yesterday largely trusting AI FTP detection + AT for a few weeks.

This is not a surprise as we know that TR ramp or AI FTP will over-inflate over real FTP for anyone with higher relative anaerobic power - but in a 40k plan, I think it really throws things off the rails.

Context was the 40k low volume specialty plan spread over a little more time, but also with weekly 10 mile TTs + 1 group ride mixed in. (which is why I stretched it out a bit) So lots of maximal 20-some min efforts, plus some shorter hard 1-5 min efforts and sprints out of group rides. TR AI FTP has landed more or less consistent with the generic 95% of 20 min max power a few weeks ago even though I haven’t hit that since.

On the good side, I thought the workouts that ramped to exhaustion over ~1h15mins (Ragged, etc.) were an interesting different kind of stimulus and mental test not found elsewhere in TR plans. And while doing these, I had my FTP auto-detected at 285 - which I knew was too high for 1 hour, but I thought, let’s see how it goes and trust the system. I largely got through threshold workouts going up to PL ~5-6 with this rating them hard to very hard, so I thought OK, maybe that isn’t the worst thing - doing the end of those long ramps plus some 3x15s, etc. a bit over real threshold could be good to maybe help raise threshold and/or make an hour at real threshold not feel so bad.

However, I had first run of the Dunderberg sustained 60-70 min series yesterday - and it immediately exposed how ridiculous that AI FTP was for me. I even pre-emptively dropped back to an “Achievable” one at PL 6 rather than the one at 6.4 it had on deck for me, gave it all I had, and was on the low side to slightly under the low target of all of the 10 min intervals. I did avoid easing up much below 200W on the 1 min recoveries, so I didn’t mind being slightly low to the interval targets - and I wanted to feel out what I could do for an hour - but net was still only 1 hr @ 262W and I had to rate it “all out - intense.” Pretty much exactly what I expected that I could do and 23W below the TR FTP.

So, we know this story well - TR badly skews their “FTP” upwards for people with anaerobic strength based on short tests / efforts - be it ramp tests or AI FTP - and then we are told to just “trust AT” to fix it all. But I’m even less convinced about that approach for a long power plan that is all about TTE - and it seems the TR system is not setup to manage this.

After that ride, adaptive training took out all the remaining iterations of the Dunderberg near-hour effort series towards the end of specialty and has replaced them with more of the long ramp type efforts at lower PLs that are a completely different kind of workout.

This really doesn’t seem right to me - if the plan was designed to transition to such sustained efforts near the end, it seems like in those last two weeks, it should acknowledge “OK, let’s scale down those long efforts closer to your real FTP, but still make sure you get used to working continuously at this FTP.” Otherwise, what was the purpose of putting that series of workouts in the plan? So I’ll likely have to replace all of these with something like the “Unicorn” series.

Meanwhile, ran a new FTP detection and it says go up from 285->287 :smile: So sure, that will work for lots of stuff in the TR ecosystem - but it will be badly wrong for steady state work - and AT isn’t even serving up that work now, despite being a 40k plan.

To a large degree, I think most people doing TTs know/expect this kind of problem in TR (see the gigantic super extended sweet spot thread…) but thought I’d share my results.

It also leaves the question for me - should I keep doing the 3x15-20 type of stuff at the significantly inflated FTP? I can usually get through them - but am I burning myself out doing that since they are in fact way over my real threshold. I don’t know what the right answer is, but I’m pretty sure it’s not “just trust in AI FTP / AT…”

3 Likes

typo? 285->287 is just a 1% increase