Iñigo San Millán training model

I thought his other point is that attempting to define LT2 is pointless, you are better off identifying key efforts (like a decisive climb) and using lactate to measure progress on efforts at those target durations. Along the lines of critical power terminology, he suggest an 8 minute decisive climb has a CP-8 power (or PDC-8) and LT-8 lactate. And using LT-8 as another measure of progress.

3 Likes

I’ve never really paid much attention to this chart in i.icu. Really describes it pretty well. With the pandemic full into “happy hard” no man’s land. And after the TdF more refined with plenty of time at LT1 (which is full in tempo power zone for me).

138bpm is my LT1 heart rate. Training volume was pretty much constant in all the years (18-20h).

However, 2017 was a very strong racing season. Across the board in 3 to 12h events. My high end (5min power) was much higher. Interestingly, I never did any vo2max work in 2017. This started in 2018 when I tried polarized. In 2017 I did plenty of threshold (sst & actual threshold).

I guess the main reason for the successfull 2017 season was weight. I was not much lighter but sufficient to make a difference when there is a lot of vertical. And in my races there is always a lot of vertical. Haven’t gotten to that race weight again since then. I tried but failed.

Only had one true race in 2020. A 5h race. Data showed that I had collected so much time at threshold as never before. This was interesting to note because I only rode tempo/no man’s land for most of the season (of course, taking into account how I felt). Almost no threshold or above.

6 Likes

The length of stages has not been clearly specified in any of the interviews.
I think the preferred length is 10 minutes per stage.

In the Scientific Triathlon podcast, San Millan was asked about lactate production vs.
lactate utilization in his test protocol, but the question was not answered.
You can have “low” lactate value because either
a) you produce little lactate
b) you have high clearing ability (ie, you produce more, but you also utilize more)
The question about how lactate clearance / production is measured using his protocol
was never answered.

Similar testing protocol has been used by the Norwegian triathlon team.
Arild Tveiten has explained the protocol in some of his interviews.

One of the consequences of longer stages (in a testing protocol) is that
the “anaerobic threshold” will be at much lower lactate values than you would
have at shorter stages. The threshold can obviously be determined in tens of
different ways. But, it would not be uncommon to see “anaerobic threshold” occurring
at values of around 2.5mmol/L when measured using long stages. This implies that
if you measure your threshold using short stages, your threshold is probably too high
and that you train too hard.

1 Like

I’ll look for that - thanks.

Expect ISM is looking at more than a steady value by using ten minute steps and not just calculating LT1.

Definitely like the concepts he puts forward and have found value in spending more time at and near LT1 for my own training.

The reason for long stages is that in short stages (say, 1-3 minutes)
you don’t know which stage (intensity) lactate is coming from.
In a 10-minute test stage you know that all lactate was produced in
that stage.

Understand that but thanks.

To avoid derailing the ISM thread on methods, we have discussed lactate testing protocols and some forum members have posted results in this thread. Have a look and do feel free to comment or add more data if you like:

Here is some info from David T on how that chart is constructed:

Each ride has a power vs HR curve created by breaking the ride up into 1 minute segments, adjusting for HR lag and calculating average power and HR for each segments. These are the data points used for the decoupling related charts on the activity power page. Only segments with 100% moving time are kept.

The traces for the comparison chart are created by bucketing the power-HR segments for all matching activities into power buckets and averaging the HR.

Forum post: New compare page with power vs HR chart - #64 by david - Announcements - Intervals.icu Forum

Here is a chart showing my current z2-z3 border (7 zone model: endurance-tempo) and comparison to previous years:

notes, starting from left curve to right:

• 2019 was a year with detraining from May-August, followed by TR traditional base 1 and 2 and finishing with an attempt at polarized. Laid the foundation for 2020.
  • 2018 was a mix of TR SSB early in the year, with outdoor riding and a short block of TR’s traditional base in Sept/Oct
  • 2020 transitioned to more aerobic development
  • 2021 continued the aerobic development
  • 2017 was peak fitness with a lot of work in middle zone and anaerobic capacity, starts diverging from 2020-2021 around 82% HRmax

Will be interesting to compare once a full year of 2021 data is available.

I’ve just done my own heart rate vs power analysis. What I wanted to look into is how my LT1 heart rate vs power differs for the first two hours of ride vs the second half. Drift is not considered in the respective i.icu plot (I guess).

grafik

4 Likes

I like that chart, but probably because my improvements are super obvious, although it gets super messy close to threshold with the inclusion of shorter VO2max intervals that drift through the threshold hr range.

3 Likes

Nice pay off!

I’m pleased that averaging close to 8 hours/week has delivered results. Mine looks better if I remove some years and don’t screen grab the short interval noise above threshold:

• 2018 threshold training approach (TR)
  • 2019 detraining and curve moves to the left
  • 2021 after a year of “ISM-like” zone2 training approach (FC)

2021 is a small improvement on 2020, and either year would have shown a solid shift to the right.

And comparing 2021 to 2017:

I’m pretty confident that by the end of year my coach will get me to surpassing my previous best year.

1 Like

You could be a posterboy for your coach with these improvements :slight_smile:

Just stumbled across this paragraph from one of Andy Jones’ papers on critical power

cp_lt

Decided to plug in my own numbers (CP 345w, 6min power 400w), which gave me an estimated LT of 290w… which is very close to what i’ve been seeing with my dfa-a1 testing.

Probably makes a good rule of thumb for those without lactate or HRV testing to nail down that ISM zone 2 power

New ISM interview on FastTalk about the race season.

1 Like

My figures are 6min - 280W CP-. 230W which would put my LT1 then at 180W. Xert LTP has me at 183W and my DFA/A1 is around 185W. So it’s basically as accurate as the other methods at least for me then.

1 Like

Not as impressive power as you, but a huge bump for me at where my LT1 is estimated to be (coach is in another country).

Been doing lots of z2, 1-2 interval sessions a week at max, 99% of the time only one. Averaging around 10-15 hours a week :slight_smile:

Started cycling in 2018, just riding around, mostly in the city, 2019 was my first year actually cycling and looking at metrics, last year was a bit more riding, but got a coach in October and has been working with them since then, and gotten much stronger across the board, while also losing 8kg!

I can add that I started TR 2019, and did it through on and off into 2020, but constantly got burned out and got sick 5-6 weeks into the plan every single time…

I think that has been the biggest thing with having a coach, always keeping up with how I am feeling, lots of z2, moving effort days if I am feeling sluggish or such. This way I have been able to be ultra consistent as well as managing fatigue!

3 Likes

I figure I’d join in… I’m only adding outdoor pwr:hr since I have auto pause for tr workouts which can then elevate my pwr:hr ratio. I ride rollers and periodically stop since standing is more of a risk than the effort is worth so I give my butt a bit of a break every 15 to 20 minutes.

Fatmax or so

Lt1. Looks like in 2018 I was just never riding easy and was only at that hr during downhill and recovery periods. Total volume this year is quite low, and I have done zero intensity above threshold.

2 Likes

Interesting, this coach was coached by ISM for many years. He pretty much uses ISM’s philosophy in his own coaching now. However, he also cautions of too much “base” training. Similar to what J Vaughters once said. You have to touch all systems.

Very interesting, he speaks of tempo a lot. Also his description of how breathing should feel like in zone 2/at base matches pretty much how I feel. This is so different to all the Twitter-experts-who-recommend-nose-breathing-but-probably-have-never-tried-it-themselves.

I can relate a lot to what he says. My “problem” is that I have moved my AeT/LT1 so much to the right that it sits very close to my FTP/or-similar-metric. I’m happy with my AeT, I’m not so happy with my FTP/or-similar-metric. However, my only two races this year (probably) are ~12h each. Project for next season.

10 Likes

Yes, this was another great episode of what is a consistently excellent podcast.

Your point about LT1/FTP relationship was interesting. Given that a goal of LT1 training is to improve lactate removal, I would have thought this would have produced a shift for FTP (or whatever term) too.

Was all your LT1 training done at the expense of other levels?

EDIT: Spelling

2 Likes

Welcome to the club. LOL

Kidding aside, as you right shifted your LT1, did you notice that riding at FTP/MLSS seemed easier? In terms of RPE. That happened to me and I attributed it to working on LT1 and TTE as opposed to trying to drive up FTP (which is what I’d mostly done in the past).

The obvious magic sauce will be moving LT1 right, TTE out and then moving FTP up. Then repeating the cycle(s). Post in bold font when you figure out how to solve the whole equation!!

4 Likes

Yes, sort of. Started with the pandemic. Firstly, did a lot of no-man’s-land implicitly and then more structured after learning about ISM. At 18-20h per week there is not much room left for intensity. Once a week some stuff. Did two dedicated blocks though. The magical 105% FTP/90% MHR region. Can’t say it had any effect though.

But I’m already a more experienced rider, my context is probably very different to most folks in this forum.

I couldn’t say

4 Likes