Indoor specific kit worth it?

I wear a regular headband but I have a friend that uses the Castelli version and he loves it. N=1 but it has his vote.

1 Like

1st world problems with 2300 AD solutions. Youā€™re basically a Jetson, now.

Iā€™ve got analysis paralysis when it comes to home automation and security, but turning on a dehumidifier sounds like a great idea. Maybe even having it come on a hour before your normal workout time if the weather (you do have an outdoor weather station, right?) is above certain parameters.

1 Like

Given the lack of bike movement means there is more continual saddle pressure on the trainer than outdoors, I am not sure that using bibs with a worn-out chamois on the trainer is a great idea.

Which leaves the problem of how do the tight-fisted amongst us (myself included) use up our old-but-not-dead-yet bib shorts??

2 Likes

Iā€™ve only got 8 pairs of shorts or bibs. I have 2 pairs that I consider my best (read comfortable) that I save for long workouts. Of the rest, I save the best available for when I know I know Iā€™m going to be on the trainer vs outdoors. For the worst pairs, Iā€™ll use them on short rides or those that are z2 only.

Iā€™ve switched to exclusively using mesh-style base layers instead of jerseys indoors. The Rapha Pro Team ones were recommended on a podcast and I like them very much. I use my regular bibs and two blower fans. Still drip some in the summer, but itā€™s bearable.

1 Like

I also deal with allergies and eczema, so here are a few things I do to help:

• Mesh base layer - I always wear bibs, so the base layer helps prevent chaffing or sweat rash from the straps. Iā€™ve seen these go on sale for 30-40% off at times, so itā€™s a great buy: https://www.pactimo.com/collections/mens-cycling-base-layers/products/zero-weight-cycling-base-layer-mens
  • Vacuum frequently - In the spring when pollen counts are high, even indoors my eyes are sensitive to all the allergens blown in my face by my fan setup. I vacuum my training space twice a week on rest days.
  • Air purifier - Same as above.
  • Switch to morning workouts - I prefer to ride in the evenings, but when I know itā€™s going to be hot, Iā€™ll switch to morning workouts to prevent overheating and minimize heat related skin flare ups.

Even with all that, sometimes my skin will still have issues, but itā€™s definitely helped enough where I donā€™t feel my performance is negatively affected.

2 Likes

Had similar issues with eczema and understand how frustrating it can be. I thought the extra sweat from training indoors triggered my symptoms, but working with a dermatologist and tracking daily activities and symptoms was really helpful. I found actually the strongest symptoms came on with excess stress (training stress included) and lack of sleep. In fact at this point I treat an outbreak as a sign Iā€™m reaching a little too far and will dial back a touch. I also switched to fragrance/ soap free bodywash which helped, and switching to plain lotion (Cerave works well for me) and infant detergent (seventh generation) reduced my symptoms.

1 Like

Assos kit can stand the test of time, so I wouldnā€™t worry about that.

Indoor kit sounds like a gimmick to me with manufacturers jumping on the indoor riding bandwagon.

These are nice and lightweight (kinda meshy) with a decent pad

Uniqlo Airism Mesh v-neck tshirt - https://www.uniqlo.com/us/en/men-airism-micro-mesh-v-neck-short-sleeve-t-shirt-423525.html?dwvar_423525_color=COL09&cgid=men-airism (the non-micro mesh is better - also note that these can hold onto smells, so youā€™ll need to toss them after a year or so).

• ripped old bibs

Spotted this today: NoPinz unveils indoor training specific SubZero kit with active core temperature-cooling technology | road.cc

Interesting idea; my physio had access to GameReady device when I was recovering from a shoulder injury, I always wanted to rig it up like the water-cooled vests in The Martian.

Literally just seeing this so I donā€™t have thoughts but wanted to share

Hey there! I am thinking about investing in a SubZero-Shorts from NoPinz for indoor training. Nevertheless itā€™s quiet pricy - so I I was wondering if anyone got any experience with it?

Best regards from Germany

One review if you have not seen it.

For those having skin issues I have to watch what soap I use. I also add a Lysol additive that eliminates bacteria that did make a difference.

I found this helped but I did find I needed to run the bibs through a second rinse just to ensure no residue left on. It took some time for my skin issue to be resolved.

i use vinegar. No bad smell, no extra rinse needed, no bacteria.

If you are still having skin issues then Iā€™d be considering how often you shower and how soon after a workout. I know that when I commute and shower twice a day my skin is worse.

In respect of the original question, Iā€™d suggest that most of the indoor specific clothing isnā€™t that technical. Some are just thin baselayers with a zip on the front. I find that making the environment I am working out in cooler is the best option.

@lemonlime, I moved your post into the existing one on the topic with related discussion.

1 Like