How Fancy Do you Get with Training Kit?

Curious about your approach to kit when training.

Which is closest to your approach for your kit when training?

A) Whatever, I don’t care.

B) Meticulous – The kit must match and be first rate.

C) When I need a little extra I kit up fancy, when the workout is “easy” I don’t need fancy.

I’m in the C camp, when I have a tough workout I kit up in my team’s kit and make sure colors match. If it is an easy hour of endurance then I grab a pair of plain shorts from the drawer. When I ramp test then an extra level of care crops up in me.

How about you?

6 Likes

A…all the way…

5 Likes

I’m a C but let’s face it, 10 minutes in, the jersey is off and I’m using it to mop up the sweat that the headband isn’t catching.

5 Likes

A little A, a little C. I don’t have many kits total but some make me feel a little faster/stronger so those are saved for brutal stuff.

5 Likes

The only time I start with a jersey is on ramp tests. If I need to for modesty or initial warmth I don a t-shirt and is usually on the floor or nearby furniture after the warmup is complete.

Yes, it does seem to help me mentally. I think we all heard the story of the guy working from his basement and would go down in full suit and tie – not so much because of a dress code but because it put him in the right frame of mind.

1 Like

I tend to have my kit in sets so I will wear the matching jersey with the shorts/bibs so that they get washed the same number of times for fade etc.

1 Like

Basement = shorts and dri fit

Outside = all must match

9 Likes

I use a MTB bib liner and aside from recovery rides have never worn a shirt. The bib liners are supposed to worn under baggies so they breath very well. I’ve never worn my race kit on the trainer.

2 Likes

C - VO2 days can sometimes be a skinsuit day! Sometimes you need to dress up to be in the right frame of mind.

3 Likes

Inside? A good pair of bibs and whatever non-matching dry fit T-shirt that is on the top of the drawer. Guess that would be A?

Outside? Tonight it was a good pair of bib tights and a really nice technical jacket (Assos Mille GT Winter Jacket) because of the weather conditions (cold and threatening rain). And this evening it happened to be a TrainerRoad T-shirt as base layer. So I guess it was B but completely driven by the outside conditions.

1 Like

c-ish; nice bibs come out for long hard rides.

sometimes full fancy kit comes out for bigger things like ramp tests or the like.

2 Likes

I use TheBlackBibs for indoor and solo outdoor workouts. Team kit for team rides.

3 Likes

Do you mean indoor training only?

If so, A for me. Apart from the fact that I’ll reserve the better quality bibs for longer workouts.

2 Likes

Indoors - Nice shorts and last years team jersey
Outside - Meticulous, premium and matching :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

A for me, though I almost never wear a top when riding indoors.

4 Likes

B - all the time

Even on the trainer matching shorts and socks

2 Likes

I wear my best kits indoors. Some of my best kits are ugly from some team or other, but don’t care how they look, but do care how they feel on long indoor rides.

2 Likes

A and C. Indoors: I wear bibs and a UA sleeveless tank, and a beanie. On long rides, I wear the expensive Wahoo tie-in bibs with the nice pad.

When I rode outside, what seems like decades ago, I used to wear whatever came out of the bin. One ride I was wearing 2 different brands, and was teased. If that’s all they have to tease me about, I’m good I guess. It’s like when I golf. I wear whatever works. Sometimes it’s mixing clashing colors. (I think it helps a bad golfer to freak out their competition)

I’ve talked to people who ride indoors with ‘full kit’, jersey, gloves, etc. To me, that’s too hot, and which jersey would I choose, I have well over 50 to chose from… :smiley:

1 Like

My old Discovery Livestrong kit indoors because I can’t be seen outdoors in it :rofl:

6 Likes