I’m done with smart trainers (possibly resolved)

I didn’t notice notice it as much on the kickr core as I do on the h2. I also did not experience the spinning out on the core as I do on the h2. But a couple months later I did notice the complete failure of the kickr core.

2 Likes

Hey Chad… Don’t know why I didn’t think of this before. I have a power meter on one bike and a cadence sensor on the other. I could just hook up to those on TR for cadence and not the H2 and then I would not have to worry about spinning out correct?

1 Like

Sadly, that doesn’t help (at least in my experience). I am using a dedicated cadence sensor on the bike (a traditional magnet on the crank and sensor on the chainstay, not the H2 cadence data) for all my H2 use.

I still have the spin-out issue for jump sprint efforts. It’s more about the fact that the H2 has HUGE/HEAVY flywheel that gets ripping fast on the jumps, and the low resistance sent from TR on the recoveries.

On PC, I use the Resistance mode swap to get the flywheel slowed down (since it is fast to change with the keyboard shortcut), but it’s a major pain in the mobile app, so I either skip the sprints, or get comfortable with a LONG wait time for the flywheel to spin down. That is even with doing the sprints in a relatively low gear (34x17 usually).

So, unless TR adds some kind of option for a “runaway flywheel” setting that add some resistance a bit after the sprint, we have the above methods to deal with or ignore :frowning:

Im not concerned about the runaway. I just dont like TR timing out. I was hoping that if it was getting cadence data it would not go to the pause screen… Not a big deal as long as I am paying attention I shut down early so the fly wheel does not spin. Was just hoping the cadence sensor would be a good backup if I am not paying attention.

1 Like

Hey @kbeers81,

I just wanted to extend my apologies for the frustration you went through with your new Kickr. No new product should come dead on arrival. If you ever have any more questions or need help troubleshooting your updated setup, feel free to shoot us an email at support@trainerroad.com.

2 Likes

Oh… got it. That may be worth a test then to see if it addresses that issue. A regular cadence sensor should keep data coming vs the loss from how the H2 gets the info (pulses in power variation).

I think it will work for you.

This is admittedly a workaround that won’t work for those of us who have ditched their front derailleurs, but I simply shift from the small ring (which I used for the sprint / spun-up effort) to the big ring as soon as the interval is over. Get back into the small ring before the rest interval is over and you’re good to go again.

1 Like

Good addition. I have tried that too and it works pretty well.

funny, my ex has me in her phone as bad unit?

1 Like

@kbeers81 glad you were able to get a working H2. I didn’t realize joking was against the rules here :stuck_out_tongue: and I’m not sure how my comment could be interpreted as an insult (coming from someone who has had power dropouts in Zwift races only to realize the actual power cable was out of the trainer). I understand your frustration as I too went through several issues with two different trainers (one of which was a 2018 Kicker) and ultimately landed on the H2. It has been working flawlessly for me since purchase in November and I think you’ll be really happy with it.

1 Like

@TedP you definitely didn’t offend me. I can take a joke, even when I’m steaming ticked off. After multiple failed Kickrs, and then I received a goofed H2, I was beyond livid. This is nobody’s fault, but I knew upon unpacking the first H2, I was going to have issues—I observed I wasn’t the first to unpack this. Anyway, it’s over and fixed, but no, I wasn’t offended. There’s a lot that offends people these days, and that in and of itself is irritating. @mcneese.chad was simply trying to keep it positive, which I understand. I typically cannot stand forum groups, because people say things, get bent out-of-shape, and then a pissing match ensues. That’s all Chad was trying to keep from happening. I can tell you this, this is the only forum group I belong to, for this reason. You all are great, but just know in the future, you can ball-bust me at my expense, and I’ll laugh it off. I also want to add, thank you chad for your emails and response to me on trying to figure this out. You’re a pillar to this community

4 Likes
  • Correct assessment of my intentions :smiley:
  • You are very welcome. I try to help when I can and point people in the right direction when I can’t.
  • I do my best to keep things productive and beneficial to all members of the forum.
  • Thank for the props, much appreciated :smiley:
2 Likes

@mcneese.chad I felt like a moron, because I thought this one was bad too. I called my brother and told him it’s got to be me. There’s no way mathematically I could have two fried units. My evaluation of ERG mode was skewed by Wahoo’s artificial smoothing. I didn’t realize how ERG mode works. It would be nice to have a tutorial on this for noobs like me. Wahoo is/was my only experience with ERG. Couple that with the smoothing from Wahoo, and me being a novice, I thought this was dead as well. Rookie :joy:

1 Like

And that’s the beauty of this site. It’s easy to share the info.
The issue is getting it to people before or when they need it :stuck_out_tongue:

TR has a couple of articles on ERG:

Some other good resources:

Video about Wahoo’s ERG Smoothing:

1 Like

Used an external cadence sensor on the h2 today. When sprinting today I changed to the large ring(normally I never leave the small ring). At the end of the sprint I changed to the small ring and kept pedaling. TR never timed out as it was still getting cadence data.

Experiment successful but I will stay in the small ring.

1 Like

@Bryce very neat to hear from one of TrainerRoad’s own. Appreciate your reaching out.

1 Like

You could just turn off the auto pause in TR. Then the software will never time out…

1 Like

I never thought of that lol. Thank you for pointing out the obvious :slight_smile:

A lot of people seem to not like turning it off. I think most of them are using a laptop or something that’s out of reach when on the bike. I just do the mobile app on my phone on the bars, so it’s within easy reach if I actually want to pause (or resume) a workout. I frequently stand up and “coast” during recovery intervals to give my undercarriage a break. It would be super annoying if the workout paused and extended the recovery every time I did that.

My first experience with CT and they’re price match guarantee. I found the Neo 2 on sale with CT and purchased it. Last couple days, bear in mind I’ve only had the neo since the 23, there was an even better sale, 90 bucks cheaper. CT honor that price and refunded the difference. In the end, I got the Neo 2 for 1039 and some change. Neo is going strong at 10 hours but it’s got a while before it relieves my wahoo jitters. No complains from my colleague running my kickr.

1 Like