How's 2019 going so far?

Craptastic.

Pros:
I finished 2018 strong.
I have been training.

Cons:
I am so off plan I might as well not be on one.

Fortunately, I am in SSB II of doing Base, Build, Base, Build, Speciality. Also my first attempt at mid volume so I am using this first cycle of Base, Build as a learning tool and am learning a lot about recovery and life balance.

2 Likes

It was going great, until I came down with the cold/flu that has spiraled into a round of bronchitis. It will probably end up being a two week deviation from the plan.

Healthwise great.

BUT my left knee has developed quad tendonitis which is a bummer.

I think TrainerRoad SSB mid vol 1 has taken its toll :frowning:

I was very enthusiastic about a month ago being quite new to TR. Now I half wish I hadn’t started.

Hopefully it will recover in the coming weeks but already many plans have been scrapped.

Frustrating to say the least.

2019… years always start well in the southern hemisphere.

2018 was a weird year, great start, shit middle (3-6months not really riding) weight went back up to 85kg, ftp hit 220w thyroid function was all over the place.
wasn’t until mid September that I pulled my finger out and started to get my riding back on track, with lots of steady Ks and regular riding, with the aim of getting a rhythm to regular exercise.

Finished 2018 by completed a festive 500, and survived the silly period dropping a couple of extra KGs.
With the start of the new year and a return to work on the 3rd… it was back to the usual chaos, early morning rides or post work interval sessions with mates, and a few of days at work before taking the 12-21st off for the TDU. one of my favourite times of year.

Had 7days to do nothing but ride my bike in 40degree (C not F) weather and watch the pros race.
managed to clock up 550km and 6000m of vert and take a rest day in the middle when the temp was in excess of 42. (ps measurement is taken in the shade, my wahoo read 57 at one point)
Spent the whole trip feeling strong. I found my self chasing and catching climbers, of which I’m not (more of a small brick shit house) in the hills of Adelaide.
Set a new FTP of 280, on one of the hills, and a whole host of other top power figures.

May have run my self into the ground by the end of the trip and had a bit of a sore throat and some niggling achilles pain.

Since been back have taken a couple of days to let my fatigue settle down, and today was my first interval back on the bike. 5min x1 1min x5 and repeat.
Good consistent numbers that I could have only dreamt about last year.

Best of all I am starting with a coach next week, so have my preliminary testing on Wednesday, and final weekend of fun this weekend with it being a long weekend.
weight down to 77.2 kg

In summery, lost weight, gained strength and set the pattern of regular exercise, but fatigue is high, work is only just warming up.

BUT YAY for 2019

I really appreciate this thread. Not so much for how awesome everyone is doing (though that’s cool too) but mostly for the honesty everyone is providing on the more lackluster points. Makes me feel less guilty about my kids’ leftover unicorn birthday cake I’ve been binging on. …So good… After all, I’ve got 7 months (A race) to get to my race weight anyway, right?

Tomorrow morning’s 0445 alarm will be here soon enough…

So 2019 has actually been going great for me so far.

First block of General Build, starting Jan 1, and its been by best, most consistent block of training in a long, long time. Less hectic at work, my 6 month old is sleeping much better & I’ve been making an effort to eat better & eat more. That nutrition part I think has made all the difference. Not sure where my FTP is going to land when I test next Tuesday but I fully expect some solid increases. Last test was 254W at 151lbs.

Really the only bad portion has been before my first XC race of the season, I was a minute late to the start after focusing so much on my warmup and trying to hit a specific time mark. My warmup was something I never prioritized enough, but I got too carried away here. Ha Got too far away from the start and well, that was that. Still managed 4th in my age group (mid-pack) but it was an embarrassing, careless mistake.

2019 is going alright! I took 10 days off for a vacation trip and realized that my chronic back pain might be coming from my bike fit, since I felt so much better not training. That said, I’m stoked on my progress and sticking out a plan, but anxious because I sometimes don’t feel like I’m doing enough - a mindset with which it’s easy to start overtraining. Failed a VO2 max workout after not taking a scheduled rest day, so I finally decided to chill and let my body rest. I’m also fan-less right now so I’m having problems with cooling.

Picking up the pieces so far. Had a great run into the holidays, and big plans for major workouts. Then:
-Got sick on the first day of 2 weeks off from work, that lasted after the break
-My boss told me he is being asked to leave his role, and generally the status of my role/team is up in the air
-My mother in law died after a week in the hospital. It has been brutal

All of this overshadowed the joy of gains in the fall, a NBD Xmas, and generally good things in my life.

Feck

2019 is looking promising.

• Increased workout compliance. Haven’t skipped any and only failed a couple of workouts
  • Added strength training each week
  • Didn’t gain any weight over Xmas
  • Just finishing mid-volume sustained power build
  • FTP is 20w ahead of last year’s
1 Like

Planning on being off the bike for 4/8 weeks (yikes) following ear surgery (tympanoplasty and mastoidectomy). On the adverse side, I hope to take advantage of the time off to work on core strengthening. Bottom line, mostly focusing on health.

Mid January, FTP was 256 W and weight at 132ish lbs. I expect FTP to go down, fitness to go down the drain and potentially gain weight. Health / healing is my priority, I will focus on gaining back what I lost mid year.