How to remove aluminum rim strip (Ritchey Zeta II Disc) aka - where'd my spoke holes go?!

Yesterday towards the end of a 70 mile gravel ride, I broke a spoke in my rear wheel. After getting the bike all cleaned up and back on the trainer today, I thought I’d break down the rear wheel so I could fish the nipple out of the rim and take the spoke to my local shop so they can cut me a new one. Once I popped the tire off and cleaned all of the sealant, I was surprised to find that instead of normal rim tape or rim strips, these Ritchey Zetas seem to have a solid aluminum strip in the rim bed covering the spoke holes. I’m completely at a loss for how to remove this without damaging the rim. I tried to slide a pick under the aluminum strip at the valve hole, but no luck. Does anyone out there have experience with this type of rim strip or know how to remove it?

I don’t have these wheels, but the nipples probably screw in from the outside. The hole is probably threaded.

Take a close look, to be sure.

So i’ve done a little more research - looks like there’s such a thing as rims with no spoke holes in the rim bed. This wheelset apparently uses that style rim. To replace a nipple, you have to use a piece of thread to pull it from the valve hole over to the spoke hole (similar to routing internal cables). Yes, this style rim makes tubeless setup a breeze, and you’ll never have compromised tape stop you in your tracks, but man are they a pain to service. I don’t even want to think about how much fun a set of these would be to build - it wasn’t a big deal to replace one, but doing that 52 times and not being able to use a screwdriver to run the nipples down would be a real pain in the butt!

Anyways, problem solved. Just thought I’d put what I learned up here in case anyone else runs in to the same issue later down the road.

2 Likes

Wow that’s annoying, lol.

The externally threaded nipples or the nipple cups that Mavic used seems like a better solution.