How to prepare a trainer wheel and an outside wheel

I have Wahoo Snap paired with Trainer road.
Currently, I am using my original wheel with a blue trainer tire. My bike is a second hand carbon frame cyclocross bike with disc brakes and 11 speed cassette.

I would like to purchase an additional wheel and cassette for dedicated on trainer usage. I don’t think I need a disc break because I don’t brake indoor.

The reason is to have a quicker, less messy, and easier transition from indoor to outdoor and back during the week. My outdoor rides are for fun and charity rides and friendly group rides. No racing. For fitness, I plan to keep structured training going all year as my key workouts.

I asked my local bike shop in Toronto, Canada to help with this and they strongly recommended against it. They said it would cause all kinds of fit and wear issues.

I would appreciate any expertise and suggestions forum members may have on adding a second wheel for dedicated indoor-only usage.

Time to find a new LBS.

Not only is getting another wheel easy and straightforward, but it’s absolutely the right way to go.

What bike do you have? Make, model, year?

Alternatively, you can spend the money towards a wheel-off smart trainer. It’ll probably be more expensive, but if you were eventually planning on getting one anyway, then it’s money saved.

2 Likes

It isn’t just about disc brakes vs. rim brakes, newer bikes use a different spacing and through axles rather than quick release skewers. Most rim brake wheels use quick release, so they may not even fit your frame.

If you are not sure what wheels you need, you should ask a bike shop you trust. Getting a trainer wheel is generally a good idea. Usually people run a nice wheelset outdoors and a crappy one indoors. So you might want to consider getting something nicer for outdoors and use your current wheelset indoors.

It seems you might want to consider switching bike shops. There are plenty of good bike shops in Toronto, and depending on where you live, one of them might be close to you.

1 Like

Hi.
I purchased the bike second hand and it had lots of upgrades, so the specs aren’t clear.
It is a cyclocross bike, Brand name is Redline. The frame is conquest and I would guess year is 2014. The forks, brakes, wheels, crank, pedals and bars were upgraded.
The sidewall specs on the wheel say:622 X 20,700c X 23mm.
I want to buy a new wheel and cassette and use this new wheel for indoor only.

I’m not quite sure what the relevant bits are. Here are some pics.

I am also requesting suggestions of names of shops and suggested budget for “crappy indoor wheel”. My main intersection is Yonge and 407.

Yes. I need to speak to a shop that can look at those details and spec out what will work. Open to shop names to call/visit. My bike started as Rim brake and was converted to disc. Maybe my spacing is non-standard and scares someone who looks at it.

Since you have quick release, you could possibly get away with what you are proposing. I’d measure the spacing between the dropouts. If it’s 130mm then it’s the standard road 11 speed rear width and you’d be good to go with most any 130mm rim.

The other thing you’d have to be cautious of is if you pull the rear brake without a rotor in it, it might move the pistons too far. I used to have a mountain bike where if I did that, I’d have to take the pads out and manually push the pistons back. And you could always put something in there to block the pads/pistons from moving too far.

1 Like

The rear axle standard is 135mm wide, quick release (9mm axle diameter IIRC). It is a standard 700c rim diameter.

That axle is what old MTB and early road disc brake bikes used. There should be some reasonable prices on wheels for that. Even old XC 29" MTB wheels can work.

1 Like

I no longer live in Toronto, and when I did I was exclusively into mountain biking. I lived near Yonge and Eglington, and there was a Trek shop close-by. It was alright, but I preferred a smaller MTB shop in the then newly developed area by the lakeside.

It looks as if you have a wheel with quick release skewers, so like @mcneese.chad said, you should have a wide choice of wheels. And indeed, you should be able to use rim brake wheels for training purposes. I’d put a shim in between your brake pads, though. (This is a must for hydraulic disc brakes, but even for mechanical disc brakes like you have, this should be good advice.)

1 Like

Just to throw in an alternative approach - I use my wheel on cycleops fluid 2 with the same tyre that I use outdoors (GP4000) without significant wear (4hrs a week).

Much less issue that changing out a complete wheel or tyre every time you want to switch between trainer/outdoors.

I’ve also never had a wheel-on trainer that ate tires. I currently use an old GP4000 on my trainer and it seems to be lasting forever.

2 Likes

So funny to see the differences in results. I’ve used cheap road tires (never a “trainer” tire) and had great luck. Never any excess wear or rubber flinging that we see from some tires and users. Seems some trainers (Tacx) are more prone to issues, but I’ve seen shredded tires on just about every brand.

This is one of those “YMMV” areas for sure.

1 Like