Are you perplexed by the problem of Energy Availability in endurance sports? How much should you eat to optimise exercise, performance, health, and body composition? Dr. Jose Areta joins host, Sarah Laverty, to clarify the widely misunderstood topic of energy availability in Endurance Sports. What does Energy Availability mean? How do we know if we are consuming enough? Do energy requirements vary between individuals? What are the implications for our performance and health if we fall short of the energy requirements that our bodies, sports, and lives demand from us?
Tune in to this episode of the Science of Getting faster podcast to learn how fueling adequately can make you a faster cyclist.
Follow Dr. Jose Areta: Twitter: https://twitter.com/jlAreta
TOPICS COVERED IN THIS EPISODE:
(0:35) What is energy availability?
(6:30) Why is low energy availability of concern to endurance athletes?
(31:09) Why is food restriction more common in endurance sports?
(46:44) Impact of low energy availability on our physiology: health and weight loss
RESOURCES FROM THIS EPISODE:
- Nutrition for Female Athletes: what we know, what we don’t know, and why
- Exercise and Muscle Glycogen Metabolism
- Low Energy Availability in Female Athletes: From the Lab to the Field
- Prevalence of Surrogate Markers of Relative Energy Deficiency in Male Norwegian Olympic-Level Athletes
• Submit a study, researcher or topic to be covered on the Science of Getting Faster Podcast: https://www.TrainerRoad.com/SOGF
ABOUT TRAINERROAD — CYCLING’S MOST EFFECTIVE TRAINING SYSTEM
TrainerRoad makes cyclists faster. Athletes get structured indoor workouts, science-backed training plans, and easy-to-use performance analysis tools to reach their goals
• Introducing Adaptive Training: Adaptive Training: The Right Workout. Every Time. - TrainerRoad
• Build Your Custom Plan: Cycling Planning, Training, & Analytics - TrainerRoad
• Train Together with Group Workouts: Group Workouts - TrainerRoad
• Get Started: Getting Started with TrainerRoad is Easy - TrainerRoad
SCIENCE OF GETTING FASTER PODCAST
The Science of getting Faster Podcast cuts through the noise and talks directly to the scientists doing the latest research into how to become a faster cyclist, stronger athlete, and healthier person.
Join Sarah Laverty of TrainerRoad as she interviews a new researcher every month about their latest studies, what questions they were hoping to answer, what they observed and what they are still hoping to learn.
• Subscribe to the Science of Getting Faster Podcast on iTunes: https://www.TrainerRoad.com/SOGF
• Facebook: TrainerRoad
• Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/trainerroad/
• Twitter: https://twitter.com/TrainerRoad
• Strava Club: Reno, Nevada Club | TrainerRoad on Strava
Subscribe to the Science of Getting Faster Podcast below!
iTunes: Science of Getting Faster Podcast - Presented by TrainerRoad on Apple Podcasts
TrainerRoad Podcast Network
Submit your Question to the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Subscribe to the Ask a Cycling Coach Podcast
Subscribe to the Successful Athletes Podcast
Submit your story to the Successful Athletes Podcast
Subscribe to the Science of Getting Faster Podcast