How much air do your tires lose?

I wanted to collect some statistics on tubeless tires. Here is how much my Conti GP5000S TR (622-30) lose in one day:

Rear: 65 → 59 (9%)
Front: 61 → 54 (11%)

Mine are similar, but it’s not linear. It’s not like in 3 days you will go from 61 to 34 in your front tire, for example.

1 Like

Similar for me too with Pirelli P Zero TLRs in 28c. But it really varies depending on temperature, age of the sealant, humidity, luck, etc.

But I don’t worry about it too much cause I pump them up every ride anyway.

1 Like

There is no answer for this other than it depends. depends on the wheel, the tire, how much sealant, how old the sealant, how old the tire, perhaps defects in either the wheel or the tire, the width of the tire, blah blah blah. And day one may be different than day 2 or day 7. I’d say 10% is pretty good. 20-50% is not uncommon to see for me after a bike sits for a few days.

1 Like

Conti GP5000S with Fulcrum Wind DB40

I check the pressure Saturday and Sunday morning before riding outside then from Monday to Friday the bike sits on the trainer.
In this time span it usually lose around 1 bar, but it’s very variable

1 Like

Edit your title to include “tubeless road” as no doubt some will respond without reading the OP.

My climbing wheelset with Enve 25s don’t lose enough to require a top off over 2-3 days.
I’m flicking the tires with my finger to determine that. :man_shrugging:

Don’t you lose some air measuring the loss especially with a foot pump gauge?
You’d have to spend $200+ on TyreWiz to accurately determine 24 hour losses.
Perhaps @dcrainmaker or @GPLama would be interested in doing that. :smiley:

1 Like

I actually want to check the statistics with different tires and bikes. One of my tubeless tires was damaged and I installed Tubolito tube there. I noticed that I lost hardly any air. Only after a week I was able to see a noticeable difference.

Regarding the pressure gauge, I started taking notes on the subject after I upgraded Lezyne micro floor pump with a digital gauge. Previously I had an analog gauge and the readings were very unreliable. I did not really check the pressure and only pumped it up when it was clearly too low when doing manual check. I guess I was riding at a very low pressure which probably cost me a few tires. With the digital gauge it shows the exact pressure while pumping and you do not lose any air.

So I started taking notes and I thought I was losing too much. But from the answers here I see that it’s actually OK. Thank you to all who replied.

I lose 3-4 psi day after a top up. GP 5000 S TR 30c on 303 firecrests

Yeah, it’s a pet peeve of mine. When you have several bikes in the family, keeping all the tubeless tires topped up is a PITA.

Temperature, humidity, temperature swings overnight, bead / rim interface, brand of sealant, etc.

TL:DR - It depends. Just air up before every ride. :wink:

1 Like

Huh. I’m used to the MTB tubeless keeping the pressure constant for a week or more. I didn’t realize road tubeless leaks enough to have to pump every couple days. Pressure loss is the only downside I personally experience with latex tubes.

My Vittoria Competition latex tubes go from 70 psi to ~60 psi in a day. But with road tubeless I would end up pumping up every ride anyways, so no big deal.

1 Like

I never watch my 5000TR’s as closely as that but in a week the front has lost circa 10psi and the rear circa 30psi (I think the rear has one of those p’tures that’ll hold fine at 50psi but blow at 70psi).

Traveled last week and yesterday after 6 days:

• front dropped from 60psi to 42
  • rear dropped from 60psi to 48

Today, after 24 hours

• front dropped from 60psi to 54 (2 full pumps to refill)
  • rear dropped from 60psi to 56 (2 short pumps to refill)

Conti GP5000 All Season TR tubeless in size 32c. Time to top off the Orange Seal.