How Fatigued Should You Be at the End of SSB2 High Volume?

I have three workouts remaining in SSB2 High Volume Program. They are all long, continuous Sweet Spot and Tempo workouts that I know I could definitely nail but at present, I feel fairly fatigued. Throughout SSB1&2 I’ve exceeded most of the prescribed workouts (higher wattage per interval, added an interval, or used an alternative more difficult workout than prescribed when feeling good), as well as added a significant amount of endurance rides, and strength training. I don’t feel burned out per se but I’m definitely tired… I’ve got a week of rest and easy riding on the horizon before testing, and starting Build. My question is- are these sensations natural/normal when coming off a big training block? (approximately 3 months, with easier weeks interspersed) Would it potentially be beneficial to take it easy a bit longer before Build? I worry a little that I may dig the hole too deep and won’t reap maximum adaptations. Just for background, I’ve been doing structured training for 6 or so years, so newbie gains aren’t really on the table, and my body typically handles a high workload pretty well. Just curious about other people’s experiences… Thanks!

You ask how tired you should feel after SSBHV2, yet that’s not all you’re doing. You’re altering the intended plan as well as adding extra z2 and strength. You’ve been training long enough and you know the answer. You’re doing too much and SSBHV is not the problem.

As I’ve said in other posts, I’m fitter now using AT and reaching lifetime PRs, than I was last year doing on average 100+ tss more. Remember, the best training plan is the minimal affective dose.

10 Likes

This is of course highly individual but I personally wouldn’t take much more than a week off during training season. The reason is that you start to detrain quite rapidly after 10 days off or so. But of course, overtraining and burnout aren’t especially favourable either so you need to see how you feel after a recovery week and figure out what’s the best action.

If you decide to extend the recovery period, I recommend you to add some amount of intensity. Nothing crazy but just enough to keep the systems firing. For example, a 10 day recovery period:

• Days 1-4: really easy recovery rides, max. 45 min each
  • Day 5: 4x5min/5min @FTP
  • Days 6 and 7: recovery rides, max. 90min each
  • Day 8: 6x5min/5min @FTP
  • Days 9 and 10: recovery rides again, maybe some short intervals on the last day before an FTP test.
1 Like

Old SSBHV2…pretty obliterated.

New SSBHV2 with AT…not too bad.

As a few have said, you’ve added move volume and you’re doing weight training. That’s going to add the fatigue for sure. Plus the TR crew typically say most people struggle with the HV plans.
I find the SSB hv plan manageable with added volume but I’m not adding weight (although I probably should l).
I would probably suggest if you can keep going, keep going, and then when you hit the recovery week change the first 3-4 rides to lazy mountain.

The big question is whether you can do Build properly based on the fatigue you’re carrying in already? Base is supposed to be a phase that enables you to handle the additional work needed to complete an effective Build phase - not wipe you out before you get there :wink:

The other bit of your question that made me most nervous was

“I’ve exceeded most of the prescribed workouts (higher wattage per interval, added an interval, or used an alternative more difficult workout.”

TBH if you’ve increased intensity you’re already in Build so I’m wondering what you do now to increase intensity further and focus on threshold and vo2 etc more specifically, without digging a big hole as you mention?

I think I’d just stick exactly to what AT is telling you to do, without any increase in intensity/reps etc and keep the extra z2 under control/review, so you can be in a good place to start whichever Build programme you’re doing. Remember what is said soooooo may times by top coaches - intensity discipline is a vital skill that needs to be learned.

2 Likes

Big thank you to those who replied- responses were helpful. Completely agree this was a “highly individual” question, and I certainly could have provided more background but I wanted to keep the inquiry brief, and was most curious about others’ experience with the program. Though I’m not new to structured training, I’m new to TrainerRoad. It took me a couple of weeks to get the hang of the app and format. Most of my rides are done “outdoors”, which is a little different still.
I was fortunate this off-season, in that I had more time than ever to devote to training, and wanted to take advantage of it. At this point, I certainly feel like I’ve done so. I had no issues with the remaining workouts, felt great on the bike, and ready for a week of recovery/endurance riding (this was already designed into my HVSSB2 plan) to allow for adaptation.
I commute to work on the bike in the Spring/Summer/Fall. It’s a 50 mile round trip and I try to alternate hard and easy days, and/or mornings and afternoons (akin to TR). That might mean meeting up early to hammer with a group for an hour before branching off to the studio, or extending the PM commute to a longer endurance ride. I’m also accustomed to weight training at least twice per week, year round. So adding these elements to the plan wasn’t exactly out of the norm, and didn’t make me feel like I was overreaching. AT elevated my workouts and levels throughout Build1&2. The weather was real nice and a couple early season “endurance” group rides got a bit more intense, as they tend to, and I think these added up over the course of the last three months more than anything else.
Because of the nature of my riding- lots of solo miles, sometimes trying to get to work quick- sweet spot, tempo, and over-under type work is right in my wheelhouse. The higher intensity stuff is where I have much more weaknesses so I’m thinking I might switch the Build from General to Short Power. I came to this thought after reading Bigpikle’s response that I may already be pseudo in a build phase so how to compensate. Would be interested in his take on that approach. Anyway, thanks again to all who took the time!

1 Like

I think the old saying of ‘training what you’re not strong at/don’t like training’ is probably a valid approach. Doing what you always do will likely get you what you always got, until it doesn’t anymore :wink:

AT means we all see unique plans now based on our individual PLs, but the main difference I see between HV short and general build, is that Short has 2 x vo2 per week with thr & SST weekends, while General has 1 x vo2, 1 x thr weekdays, with anaerobic and SST weekends. So, if you haven’t done much vo2 work for a while the short may be a good option, but I know a lot of people have said that 2 of these sessions per week can quickly build fatigue and potentially wipe you out - only you’ll know how you can handle that around your other sessions?

I think the key is also flexibility. You can always stop a plan after a few weeks and try something else or look at some of the amazing threads here and try some different approaches that people have tried out. Many people like to start a plan and once on the path they want to see it through at all costs. Others can be more comfortable with the flex and adapt more quickly, and maybe find that part of the fun. No need to be a slave to a single TR plan - if a few weeks of one plan burns you out or you stop seeing gains, then swap or try something else. But one thing many people have found is that the volume of intensity in some of the TR plans can quickly dig a hole so with all your other riding I would be very aware of that and stay disciplined to the prescriptions in the Build phase, and dont be afraid to turn it down, rather than up, to keep the needle in the healthy side of the dial. Good luck with it!

1 Like