How do you care for your helmet?

Howdy everybody. A few months ago I bought my first high end helmet, a Poc Ventral Spin. I want to do everything I can to keep it fresh, how do you guys clean your helmets? I’ve been wiping it down every couple rides with a damp cloth and allowing it to air dry in front of my fan. I am a very salty sweater and have noticed a lot of staining on the interior pads. Anything that can be done about this without compromising the helmet?

Thanks!

Aside from an external wipe down I pull the pads and rinse them regularly. I’m a very salty sweater, so I need to wash them regularly to avoid stains and keep the super concentrated salty mixture from dripping in my eyes.

1 Like

I use a device called Shoefresh. It debacterializes and dries my shoes/helmet. To dry a helmet it needs an extra attachement.

I don’t know where you’re located but I don’t think they ship to the US. Although I assume there are other companies which have a similar device.

5 Likes

I put clothes, helmet and shoes to washing mashine (shoes and helmet in seperate bags) and wash in 30C with 1000rpm, next I put them on heater. I’m doing this almost every day and have no problems.

1 Like

I hand wash helmet linings as well and replace if a replacement pad is available. If not helmet goes in the bin and I buy a new one.

1 Like

To clarify - are you putting your entire helmet in a washing machine with a 1000rpm spin cycle? Or are you removing the foam pads from your helmet and washing them?

1 Like

certainly don’t put your helemet in the washing mashine at 1000rpm! He’s talking about the foam pads, I’d hope…

1 Like

Entire helmet with pads and straps (not removable). Remember, never to use dry program :slight_smile:

Just wear it into the shower when it needs it. Nothing fancy

2 Likes

You’re joking right? Putting your helmet in the washing machine?

I just ride in the rain, seemingly every time I step outside with the bike :laughing:

1 Like

You’re nuts.

1 Like

Not to mention the damage to your machine with the helmet smashing around in there

I just was the liners of my helmet in machine and let the helmet itself dry on the table. I keep it in the box it came in when not using it

2 Likes

I pull the pads off every few rides and just rinse them off. If they don’t look clean after the rinse they go in a laundry wash bag and into the washing machine with my kit. Often I’ll toss my HRM strap and gloves in at the same time. Active wear (gentle-ish) cycle, mild detergent, and Air dry.

For the helmet itself, wash with microfiber and mild soap like dish / washing up liquid without dyes or extra additives. Rinse well. Water won’t ‘get in’ anywhere so you can feel free to really get it wet. Towel off and hang to dry.

Don’t use abrasive or strong cleaners as they can degrade the foam or ruin the finish.

Edit: To add… if you can’t remove any soft foam or fabric inserts from the helmet, look up how to clean a motorcycle helmet.

1 Like

I place mine on top of a vent in my house when I’m not riding it so it dries out but otherwise don’t do anything

1 Like

15 posts and not one joke about the innuendo in this thread title?

5 Likes

@willball12 This must truly be the most mature place on the internet!!

2 Likes

Maybe worse that I didn’t make the connection until you so kindly pointed it out!!!

3 Likes

Unbelievable. Not even the statement “hand wash your helmet” created any cyber sniggers!!

2 Likes

I will rinse my fairly regularly with tap water and then let them air dry.

The new Poc helmets are great. I have both a Ventral Spin and a Ventral Air. Both superb.

2 Likes