Hot Takes! Intermittent Fasting, 30-Min Workouts, and More - Ask a Cycling Coach 386

@IvyAudrain
Where can we find the video of that cyclocross crazy steep hill nightmare that was so difficult to climb?

That was Rochester CX - check the Elite woman’s Day 2 on GCN.

1 Like

Some of the mud fighting in Rochester

6 Likes

Just listened. Great episode. @IvyAudrain specifically asked us to mention if we liked the hot takes format, and I LOVED it. It was nice to have an old school, lighthearted, back and forth episode that felt like friends having fun. I hope others will chime in and say enjoyed it too.

Only 2% of listeners take the time to rate the podcast? That’s insane. Go rate the podcast!

9 Likes

@Pbase agree completely. Was an awesome episode! Love the format and friendly banter.

1 Like

Practical feedback: If TR wants more likes, consider adding link instructions per platform in the notes or the forum on how to do so.

Youtube is easy
However I’ve tried a few times on spotify on MacOS and i cannot find the place to rate. There’s no heart like I see for a song. Rating is not on the GUI and googling didn’t help. Maybe it’s obvious and I’m a blind idiot and but I doubt I’m the only one.

1 Like

The last part of this episode (plus the official swimming thread) has persuaded me to start swimming again.

That thing Nate mentions to prevent a scissor kick sounds like the loop I’ve used in place of a pull buoy. Just a section of old bike tube tied together.

Yep, it’s easy. Go to the podcast page, click on the ellipsis.

Not here. If i click on ellipsis i get : unfollow and share.

If i go to a particular episode, there’s no rate / like button either.

MacOS 12.1
Spotify Spotify for macOS (Intel) 1.1.96.785.g464c973a
updated today

Weird. Have you played any episodes? I know they mentioned that you can only rate it if you’ve played it.

I’ve played a few dozens on spotify.

@Nate_Pearson @Jonathan I think you were talking about my tattoo :joy:

10 Likes

I just checked on my Mac, and I can’t do it in the desktop app or web browser either. I could do it in the app on my iPad, but not in the browser. Weird.

Thanks. So it’s not just me.
If someone figures it out, it could add more likes and @Jonathan will have more time to train for triathlon.

1 Like

Autophagy - the bodies natural process to repair and build damaged cells, seems to be something worth Chad’s science based consideration. @Nate_Pearson
Athletes stress their bodies intentionally to improve performance, and I, in my ignorance, assume this leads to cell damage and hence the need to repair and replacement?
If my conclusion is in the ball park, triggering Autophagy more often would seem to particularly worthwhile for athletes?
My limited knowledge is that Autophagy is triggered primarily by ‘fasting for 14-16hr’ and also intense exercise HIIT.
Hence, Intermittent fasting, seem potentially to be highly pertinent to training.
NB I am absolutely not raising this as anything whatever to do with weight control, body image, etc. It makes me sad that anything to do with the term “Diet” is always assumed to be about weight loss.

Subsequent to dealing the potential benefit of increased Autophagy, athletes then need to consideration to how to organise their food intake over a shorter time period. That’s when we need even greater care and hence advice for fulfilling a healthy food intake

2 Likes

I am probably in the minority here but I’ve never had patience for performance hacks. Drink this, eat that, fasting… all to get a small boost? Just my opinion but if you’re constantly looking for that magic edge it can quickly lead down a shady path. In the 90s it was Ma’s army drinking turtle blood and eating caterpillar fungus (really PEDs). In the 2000’s it was the Balco cream & clear. If you’re always looking for some magic shortcut you’ll eventually find it.

To be clear, I am not talking about eating healthy, monitoring calorie intake, etc. but the extreme of it all. For whatever reason it has always bugged me.

2 Likes

Hey, that looks like Land Park!

Yeah I’ll do it occasionally. Usually it’s because we have family in town and I want to get in at least 2 hours before we have to do anything. So we go to bed at like 11:30-12 after hanging out with them and then wake up at like 6 so I’m done by 8:30. It’s not a regular thing but it certainly happens.

1 Like

@IvyAudrain @Jonathan what a great episode, I loved the hot takes format. Very much like old Podcasts episodes with quick questions and concise answers. more of these, please :boom::v:t3:

5 Likes

@pbase @schmidt thank you so much for the kind words and feedback! It helps us plan moving forward to know you all dig it. There will be more hot takes soon so make sure to keep an eye on IG to submit your questions! :slightly_smiling_face:

4 Likes