Hood/brake position

Apologies if this has been previously addressed, but I recently watched a Vegan Cyclist video and noticed that his hoods/brakes were both tilted inward relative to the typical 90 degree orientation with respect to bar.

Not sure if this is an ergonomic or aerodynamic adjustment, but it does strike me that my wrists often feel like they’re in a non-anatomic configuration when resting in the hoods.

Anybody else using a non standard hood position with good effect?

1 Like

It’s a pretty common setup these days. Main driver is that it enables a better aero hoods position - I.e. When your hands are on the hoods your arms are narrower, and when you drop your forearms to be horizontal they naturally rest on the bar tops which makes it a more comfortable and sustainable position.

5 Likes

Yup, I’ve been offering rolled in hoods to my customers for a couple years now. Most really like it for pure comfort. A couple people said that single change was worth the price and time for the fit. :stuck_out_tongue:

The faux aero position is great and something I personal use a bunch on my road bikes. Super easy to try and you can test a range of angles to find what feels best.

3 Likes

Just look at how your wrists are turned in and forearm pronated naturally at rest. Hence why turning in hoods lets you keep this position.

Fit I had years ago did it and I’ve always kept it. Now that I’m a PT it makes more sense

1 Like

This is why I can’t understand to this day why MTB went away from bar ends….I don’t often ride a MTB anymore, but when I do, I find the bars extremely uncomfortable after awhile.

Hell, back in the day when riser bars were popular, I still ran bar ends (even though it looked like absolute dog poop).

Don’t even get me started on the width.

1 Like

I’ve wondered about doing this to some degree or other in my setup. One hesitation I have is it seems like it would encourage ‘chicken wing’ elbows, particularly when fatigued - I imagine on a long event that could creep in unnoticed and quickly negate all your aero-hoods gains.

I’d be shocked if anyone has quantitative data on this, but do any of you have anecdotal experience of it? Does it mean we should only do it for short-duration stuff? Is it just something to be aware of in training? Or does it not actually happen in the way I’m imagining?

I dislike the hood pointed inward, felt to narrow while climbing.

1 Like

They still make bar ends, and handlebars can be cut to preference. MTB is much easier to customize, actually. Those Tog things look interesting - I don’t ride long enough to warrant them at this point.

I always thought it was to help prevent impaling oneself when you’ve binned it :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Sure, of course they still make them…but damn few people use them. I currently use Ergon grips on my fat bike which have extensions molded into the grip.

And you can only cut down bars so far as the taper usually prevents you from moving too far inwards.

For example, I have cut down the bars on my fat bike as far as I possibly can and they are still way too wide (at least for me).

But my point was that the industry, as a whole, had moved away from a bar position that is a) more comfortable and 2) a better position when out of the saddle.

It just doesn’t make sense…

I always thought it was because they hooked trees!

2 Likes

I took mine off when they hooked a piece of construction netting that was flapping in the wind and I nearly fell of a bridge.

1 Like

Aerocoach tested a bunch of different road bar hand positions and found it to be the fastest legal position - https://www.aero-coach.co.uk/uci-road-bike-position-aerodynamics

Only 2W faster than the aero hoods position with levers straight (I’m surprised, thought it would be more, and it may be for some people), but anecdotally I and lots of others I know find it to be more comfortable as you have more forearm support. Certainly not for short durations only, would be my preferred position for a road bike TT, or if in a solo break or bridging effort in a race.

Thanks - I wasn’t clear in my post. I meant I’d be shocked if anyone had data on whether people go ‘chicken winged’ when they get tired with hoods positioned like that and what effect that has on aerodynamics.

There is no good reason why someone would ever go into chicken wing position on a bike ever unless its a learned habit (or you are Chris Froome). Keeping your elbows tucked by your side causes the least amount of stress on your shoulders and core - regardless of the amount of inward tilting of the hoods.

Chicken winging is caused by flat bars based on the hand position - it should never happen on a road bike (theoretically)

They would have to angled at 45 degrees relative to the frame to cause this sort of arm position.

I’ve seen turned in, but 45 degrees I can’t say I’ve seen

Rolled mine in about 10-15 degrees for comfort. When I’m on the hoods my wrists aren’t jammed at all now. I can hold a flat forearm aero position better, but that wasn’t why i did it.

2 Likes

Well, that’s pretty subjective. The industry pushes what sells. I’m confident you could find bars in the 600s if that’s really what you’re going for. I landed on 770 awhile back, but I’d be open to trying something narrower, I already know that anything wider doesn’t work for me.

How do you measure the angle?