Hit me with your crazy fitness challenge ideas

FWIW, 100% of the ‘normal people’ test subjects completed 100% of the test.

Every journey begins with a single 15s 300% rep. :grin:

I’m certain I’d bring your percentage below perfect. Function of training for ultra endurance…having a huge base and high sustainable power, but relatively poor v02 max power.

Might have to give it a try though. Train the weakness.

Understanding a wee bit more than when I first read this study, there is really nothing VO2max about this workout/protocol. It’s all neuromuscular work…which in the end lead to the results shown – greater efficiency/economy and power; an improvement in actual VO2max (which was not recorded) is just a natural side-effect.

But what else are you going to do during self-isolation?! :laughing:

I did an Everest yesterday. :+1: Might be a few days to try 300% intervals.

4 Likes

Wah! :scream: :hot_face: Awesome!

Indoor I assume? What platform were you using? How’d it go?

1,000 TSS in one week, just on TR. It’s basically Cartago, Rockhouse, Cathedral, Disaster and three recovery-ish rides like Collins, Andrews, Whorl, and/or Baxter -1. Depending on your normal weekly TSS, this could be easy, average, or hard.

Outside on local 1000ft climb. Second time I’ve done an Everest, and it was easier than the first. Held 305 watts/78% ftp for all the climbing (nearly 9hrs between 6k and 7k elevation). Only 12 mins total stoppage time, and under 12hrs total. Happy with all that.

Knees are pretty sore today. Lots of low cadence and force.

3 Likes

I’m thinking of getting a group together and doing vEveresting. However, this seems tame compared to some of the comments I see. How would you train for Everesting?

1 Like

Tack on an FTP test immediately after!

2 Likes

Very basic one from me: summit to Mount Mitchell from my house. Should be just under 100 with a bit of climbing, and can’t reach the actual summit because of park closure, but the Blue Ridge parkway is open to bikes and closed to cars.

1 Like

You could ride 1000km in one ride around your neighborhood?

1000 barbell squats (or trap bar deadlifts) in a year.

I just want to get to a proper pistol squat.

2 Likes

Date challenge. So pick an exercise or two and do that every day. The number of repetitions is the same as the date. So it starts easy and gets harder by one every day.

Another idea I had was to bike every street in my town. There is a site called earth.wander that syncs your strava and shows what percentage of an area you have covered. Inspired by Ricky Gates’s Run every street in San Fran. Not sure how the site includes or excludes roads though (since some are quite dangerous to bike)

2 Likes

Dare I say… Double Disaster?

I’ve been WFH over the past 7 weeks.

What I do is after each toilet break, I do a series of pushups, 1/4 crunches and knee stability exercises.
Over a period of 7-8 hours of work, it all adds up.

1 Like

Our club has a group chat and there have been some good individual challenges thrown around. Good one is 100+ mile solo ride with 5000+ feet of climbing averaging over 20 mph. Must start and finish at same point. One stop allowed that doesn’t count against the average speed.

2 Likes

100 push-ups
100 situps
100 squats
10km run
Every day.

1 Like

Ha! I was just coming here to post: 1,000.

One thousand of anything – sit-ups, laps, pistol squats, whatever!

But yeah, that shopping list is a good one.

Don’t die on us, please. :grin: