Hip hinge vs back bend lower back pain

I try to maintain good hip hinge when riding enduro stuff but steep climbs put me in awkward contact with saddle when I lean forward. I tend to back-bend to relieve pressure and anchor sit bones but then quickly pay price with lower back pain. I need my saddle level for descents so can’t find a sweet spot.

Is this some sort of core weakness or a bike fit issue?

Is the issue new? Hold old is your seat?

I had similar issues with my road bike seat. I tried the adjustment of seat angle - didn’t work (back would get arched in the high position or I’d slide forward on the lower position; no “just right”). Then I tried a new saddle - didn’t solve the problem. Finally, I happen to be test riding a new bike with a new version of my current saddle and that solved the problem!

FWIW: The seat I have been using is the Specialized Toupe. When I called Specialized, they told me they last a very long time. When I talked to other serious riders, they change them every 2-3 years.

FWIW2: I have a Specialized Hinge (model name) on my MTB and love that as well - sort of the Toupe version for MTB.

btw: I have a very strong core due to a robust strength training program I have been doing for a couple of years. I’d highly recommend strength training overall, and core as part of that if you aren’t doing it already.

1 Like

Do you mean Enduro MTB or endurance type events?

Thanks this is useful. It’s always been a problem for me on many saddles. I’ll see if I can try a toupe out - I do like my current saddle as it never catches shorts though.

I do heavy squats and deadlifts during winter. Lots of pistol squats too but I never make time for planks and side planks.

Enduro

So this bit boggles me…

You’re sitting down on descents? :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Fair enough - I suppose I mean flatish pedally stuff in general. Sliding off front.

1 Like

Do you do any off bike strength work? How often do you ride MTB outside?

If you are doing enduro MTB, you may want to try the Specialized Hinge model instead; the Touple is targeted for road. The Hinge was recommended my my LBS sales person who is a serious MTBer.

1 Like