Help with FTP from test results

Yes. Allen and Coggan basically invented training by power.

1 Like

Interesting. I’ll have to order a copy!

Just an FYI, this study found that the 5 minute effort didn’t have any effect. They didn’t really have the subjects go all out during that part, though.

Thanks, I want to read up on the underlying methodology for FTP to begin with.

I suspect TR has the best data set of anyone, especially where they know the power meter type, especially one that’s used indoor and outdoor (like a crank or pedal meter), the ramp test FTP, 20min FTP test, and what people actually do outside. The sample sizs from all these studies is shockingly low.

TrainingPeaks should as well.

I know their data collection is proprietary, but It would be great if they published some white papers.

This was helpful as well

Yeah, there’s a slew of similar studies out there now.

The results are variable, but it seems that on average FTP corresponds to various lab-based thresholds, just not tightly enough that it can be used interchangeably with them. OTOH, none of the lab-based measurements agree closely enough to be interchangeable with each other either, and sports scientists can’t even really come to a consensus on whether, e.g., “lactate threshold” truly exists, much less on precisely how to define it. I therefore find it easiest to just go by power, since after all that’s what really matters.