Help me find a new helmet!

Looking for a new helmet for a pretty tight use case.

Currently I have:

1. S-Works Evade II. I like this helmet, it fits good, but when I use it on the TT bike, it obscures some of my forward vision and requires me to elevate my head more, causing a larger amount of fatigue.

2. S-Works Prevail III. I also like this helmet, and it doesn’t obscure my vision, but it is decidedly not as aero as my other two helmets for use on the TT bike.

3. Smith JetStream TT. Solid option for use only on the TT bike, gets pretty warm in the sun during hot days.

Now you might be asking, why not just use the Smith on the TT and the others on the rest of the bikes? That’s what I do in training, but my racing is Ultra distance events that allow switching bikes to suit the given section of the course. So there will be switching from a road bike and TT bike. To further complicate things, These are crewed races with comm systems on the helmet. What seems like a simple helmet swap takes a few minutes, potentially destroying the advantage of switching bikes.

I’m looking for an Aero focused road helmet that doesn’t sit so low on the forehead to maintain as much forward vision on the TT bike while keeping as neutral head position as possible.

What does everyone have experience with?

2 Likes

Push your road helmet further back?

Cut the foam on your evade at the front?

I roll an Evade, a Prevail, and a Giro Aerohead. The Aerohead worn properly would solve your problem. Most people seem to wear it down on their forehead, but if you wear it back on the crown of your head in position it’s quite a bit more aero and comfortable with good field of vision. That said, it’s not going to solve your temperature issue IMO.

You might be able to simply push the Evade back on your head and adjust the fit so it stays there when you’re in position.

1 Like

FWIW I went from the Ballista to the Evade 3 and the Evade gave me a little better forward vision. However it seems any aggressive aero position on the bike requires lifting my head a little to look down the road for potholes and debris.

1 Like

I’ve attempted to get the fit of the evade to ‘rotate’ rearward, but it just doesn’t stay there long, after a couple bumps it slides back forward/down. Don’t think I’ll try hacking up my Evade…

You have piqued my curiousity… :face_with_monocle:

4 Likes

I forget which model of KASK I had but it was one where you opened or closed the vent. When I started TT’s it was just easier to have the one helmet. It looks like they’ve replaced it with Wasabi ‹ Kask Sport. I got a TT helmet a season or two later and actually went back to it as it was faster but thats probably was my inability back then to keep my head still :joy:

1 Like

Yeah, I just went to the garage and tried to do the same fit trick as I do with the Aerohead that makes it work really well, and you’re right: the fit system just opens back up and it slides forward a bit too far.

I’ve seen some people ride the Aerohead on a road bike without the visor. Supposedly in testing it’s one of the few visor-integrated helmets where it doesn’t make that big of a difference to run it or not. I’m a big fan of that helmet, but again, not sure it would solve the heat problem for you.

2 Likes

I wonder what the forward vision is like with the Giro Vanquish?

The heat issue with the TT lid isn’t an issue when I’m actually on the TT bike, but damn it would be hot on long climbs :rofl:

3 Likes

No experience there, but it does seem like a hybrid that could work.

1 Like

I can’t help, I use a Giro Advantage for TTs which I threw into the woods on a hot hilly route - so don’t get that.

But I suspect you might be better looking for a TT helmet you can live with on a roadie, rather than the other way around.

1 Like

Another problem with TT lids is the weight, over a 30ish hour event, an extra 100g is pretty noticeable on the neck.

2 Likes

Time to go to a real shop and try a bunch of different helmets perhaps.

As someone who has a very low position on his road bike, I can sympathize…I also hate how modern helmets sit right on top of today’s glass styles, making it almost impossible to get a finger in there to wipe your forehead.

The Kask Utopia worked really well for me…didn’t come down as far on my forehead, didn’t have to rock it back on my head and could get a finger between the lid and my glasses. The orignal version did not have a horizontal brow pad while the newer Utopia Y version has one. Personally, I loved the lack of a brow pad and found it to help immensely with ventilation / less sweat on my face (somewhat counterintuitive). Unfortunately, my bike tipped over with the helmet hanging from the HB adn it took a chunk out of the foam…RIP.

This year I got a Giro Eclipse…being in Chicago, I haven’t had a whole lot of time on the open road with it (especially in warmer weather) but would definitely say it comes down farhter than my Utopia.

I also just got a Lazer Vento Kineticore…only had two rides in it, so no verdict yet. The lack of a dial adjuster on the retention system is a bit odd, but the overall fit is quite good and it seems to have a decent amount of space between the lid and my glasses. Pretty sure @mcneese.chad uses this lid and likes it a lot. Maybe he can chime in.

3 Likes

They do have an adjustment system, via the ScrollSys belt. That is different from the common dial since the belt is in the rear third of the helmet. It works well to tune the fit for me.

I can’t offer more on the performance yet, since I only have one short test ride on it at this point.

1 Like

LOL…I literally just adjusted mine. Like 2 minutes ago. :rofl:

1 Like

debating between a Utopia Y, the Laser Vento, and an ABUS Gamechanger. Leaning towards trying the Utopia first.

1 Like

I have heard several people complain about the lack of padding for the GameChanger…may be worth checking out first.

Like I said, I was a big fan of my Utopia. Will be giving the Lazer a longer run tomorrow and will be able to better test ventilation and fit.

1 Like

Good to know! Thanks!

1 Like

I’ve been using the Lazer Vento Kineticore for about a year. Works really well for me as my go-to road bike helmet. Clearly not a full TT helmet, but more aero than a lot of road helmets and still vents pretty well in my experience. Lightweight too. Worth a look given your requirements.

2 Likes