Help a man with an odd-shaped head

Help a man with an odd-shaped head (apparently)

I’m looking to retire my ageing, twice-crashed and slightly mushroomy Bontrager helmet. Wiggle had an excellent deal on a Poc Octal Mips, so I duly measured my head (57.5 cm) and ordered the M-L (54-60 cm). As I seemed more or less bang in the middle of that size, it seemed a safe bet. It’s very light and I like the brighter colour. The problem, though, is it’s too tight around the temples; it seems that my head is wider than average for its size.

There aren’t many places round here with a decent range of helmets to go and try in person.

So can anyone recommend models of road helmets (light and not too mushroomy) that are suitable for people with heads that are a little wider?

Cheers.

Poc helmets are about the same size front to back, but narrower in the smaller sizes. I’m about a 59.5 and had the same experience trying a Medium. Try Specialized, Bontrager, Scott, Met, or Oakley. Stay away from Lazer and Smith. If there’s an Asian market unit, maybe try one of those.

Mushroom- POC Octal is the ultimate mushroom helmet. The Ventral and Onme fix that a bit. Try one with a matte dark color at the bottom. White will look the worst.

2 Likes