Groadie as main bike

Does anybody of you have a powermeter on your Groadies? i have a GRX crankset and am thinking about a PM. Which one would make sense?

Lots more discussion here:

1 Like

I am running a Quarq d-four on both of my Groadies. Also one is 2x with Dura Ace rings and ultergra derailleur so I could run 50/34 and get that 1:1 ratio and the other bike is 1x. Since both bikes are running GRX I wanted to keep Shimano rings is the reason for using Quarq.

1 Like

That would be the groupset of choice, absolutely, with Ekar a close second I think.

I just swap my Powertap P1S between my bikes and thats it. I’m not riding “technical grave” (if this exists) so no problem with the road type pedal on gravel…except that my road shoes get dirty haha

1 Like

A few reasons (or excuses) I guess. Weight is a big one. I also work in the composites industry, so I just like carbon stuff. Then the other benefits of having a second set for the rollers/trainer, not having to change tires out, and being able to go tubeless.

I definitely don’t need them. I just like new shiny things and wheels is on my list.

3 Likes

I got a screaming deal on a Red Quarq crankset last year and it has been great…but for GRX specific options, see thread below.

1 Like

Has anyone considered a Specialized Roubaix as a “one bike to rule them all”? I thought about it but ended up with a Diverge as I ride mostly gravel (farm roads that get destroyed by rain or trucks) and no road races in my area. However I’m moving countries and most likely the Diverge won’t fit in the suitcase. I’m inclined to get a Roubaix in the new location as I want to be racing crits again (starting as cat5) and would still like to do mixed gravel and road rides. I really like the future shock with the lockout option. Other options would be the Trek Domane (kinda heavy but more tire clearance) or Cervelo Caledonia (no personal experience with this brand) .

Gotcha! Can definitely relate to that and I don’t even work in a related industry :smile:

What wheels did you get for your Diverge?

I’m having a cervelo aspero built up that will spend most of its time in a road guise.
Zipp 303 firecrest wheels with Schwalbe pro-one 28mm tyres, 11-30 cassette, grx di2 rear derailleur, chainset is a 48/31 power2max NGEco, Ultegra di2 front derailleur, grx di2 shifters and an enve ses aero road handlbar (42mm at the drops - I just love the shape of this bar).
A second wheel set (650b parcours alta carbon) with gravel tyres will help the bike do double duty. Just having to wait until mid April for the frame to arrive.

3 Likes

Sounds awesome!

1 Like

I believe they are axis sport. I got the 2019 carbon tiagra. I absolutely love it.

1 Like

Do it!
With the ‘normal’ geometery bikes (not the Diverge, Evil, longer top tube semi-mtb bikes), the only compromise is the limit on biggest chain ring you can run. For most people, that’s a non-issue. On the same tires, it’s the same as a normal road bike. Running a 42 or 44 ring 1x is a good starter; gravel with a 48t or 50t is doable in mostly flat areas with a 11-36 (or 10-36 12sp) - that gets you to 29 - 33mph (42 /48x11) topend, which is good for most road rides

I think the Open Up only takes 38c tires, so the Domane might be worth putting on your list. I also wouldn’t scratch some of the ‘racier’ gravel bikes off your list (Aspero)

Great bike selection.

1 Like

Roubaix clearance is an issue. I tried the bike and It seems like my Giant TCR Advanced Pro in terms of clearance. I don’t think you can fit 35mm gravel tire on it with decent space for dirt, mud etc. to not destroy your frame. But I didn’t try use that type of tires on it. So maybe someone can confirm or deny my assumption.

I have the Stages Left Side. Works well.

2 Likes

I have a Diverge Comp Carbon that I use for both road and gravel. Stock wheels are boat anchors so they’re my training/road wheels with 44mm slicks just because I can. Gravel/race wheels are Spinergy GX alloy wheels, sub 1500gr and cheap at $599…plus custom spoke colors at no extra cost.

I use my Stages L Shimano Ultegra with my GRX crankset and it works just fine.

2 Likes

I’m deleting my post about power meters to keep more on topic

I’m looking down this route as well and trying to decide how rugged my tyres need to be… but for context I have a BMC Teammachine SLR02 & Cannondale Topstone AL 105. I have pair of HED Ardennes+ LT that I put on the Cannondale to run GP5000 28s (same as BMC) and speed wise, it’s usually pretty close to the BMC. I’m estimating if I ride the same route in same conditions, the BMC is probably around 1 mph faster for a 2 hour ride (based on my most common route) but the route does have a little over 2k feet of rolling hills so the carbon vs alloy frame likely makes a bit of difference. Could likely be almost identical if you rode a carbon “groad” bike vs me running a carbon road vs alloy gravel. I don’t plan on racing crits but maybe some gravel stuff so there’s obvious interest in upgrading the groad side, which then has me leaning towards selling the BMC since it would seem like overkill. For PMs, I’m using the Favero Assioma Duo so I’d likely just do the MTB spd hack.