Hey all -
Help me decide if this is a silly idea…
So my main bike will, from May, be a ‘groadie’. The frame will be ti, and it will have 2 wheelsets; the road ones will be my current road one (Aeolus pro) and the gravel ones have just been built by Malcom Borg in Sussex (fairly indestructible alloy, 25mm internal width).
The drivetrain plan was always to move over my existing Ultegra Di2 with a few mods, specifically a GRX Di2 rear derailleur, and a SRAM 11-36 cassette. I’m running a 50/34 crankset anyway.
In due course, I was going to decide about either a. selling the donor road frame and keeping the groad as it is (n=1 solution), or b. when availability improves (and finances allow) to give the groad full GRX Di2 or maybe AXS wide, and return the original Di2 to the donor frame. In other words, have 2 dedicated bikes.
I’m now contemplating instead an impulse Ekar purchase for the groad: 40T, 9-42. I haven’t decided if I’d keep the existing Di2 or sell it, which would largely fund the purchase, I suspect. If I kept it, there would/could be no more bike purchases before late this year. If I sold it, I’d cross the bridge about rebuilding the donor road frame if/when I had to.
To be totally honest, this would be in part to scratch a Campag itch I’ve had for a little while!
Is this a silly idea, or a good plan?